General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Feb-11 11:25:50
Print Post

Re: FTTC Speeds

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

If the cabinet/exchange locations are correct then you stand to gain very little from FTTC, since VDSL2 will perform very like ADSL2+ at those distances, i.e 1.8mile of copper, you appear to be only removing perhaps 200m of copper cable.

Thus it is possible that a not available on your line decision has been made.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jdowning640
(regular) Mon 28-Feb-11 17:24:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi MrSaffron,

So what does the future hold for people & businesses like me who are 2 miles from the cabinet & exchange who can get around 3-5Mbps?

Are there any other viable options except line bonding?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 28-Feb-11 17:36:48
Print Post

You'd get around 13 Mbps with adsl2+. With bonding you'd just multiply that by how many lines you bond, so if you have 2 lines bonded, you'd get 26Mbps.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Mon 28-Feb-11 17:39:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Feb-11 17:51:05
Print Post

If 2miles from cabinet and exchange do you mean 4 miles in total? In which case they are looking at doubling or better of speeds with FTTC probably.

Where FTTC is removing only a few metres of cable, then the future is line bonding, or FTTH, or wireless.

At 2miles 3.5km of cable you should already be connecting at higher than 5Mbps, 7.5Meg connection with ADSL2+ is easily achievable. 45dB attenuation shows many lines getting that sort of figure.

There is not always a need to throw technology at an issue, there will be many people who just need to tidy up wiring, get a bit of external cable fixed and speeds can improve. Alas people aren't wanting to pay for someone to do this or commit the time to look at the wiring in their home.

Remember BT group is only looking at 2/3rd's coverage with its FTTC/P products, so there was never a commitment to do all cabinets/lines at a specific exchange.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 28-Feb-11 17:55:51
Print Post

So what does the future hold for people & businesses like me who are 2 miles from the cabinet & exchange who can get around 3-5Mbps?

welcome to the doughnut. You're in the hole in the middle.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
(regular) Mon 28-Feb-11 18:04:33
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I was just off the phone to a smaller ISP and they told me I was on another cabinet although they said their database might be messed up.

This way, if it went to Cabinet 7, it'd be 4.6 miles from my house to the *newly found* cabinet.

From the exchange to the new cabinet, it'd be 2.6 miles leaving it to be 2 miles. That's around the same as it was so either way there's nothing other than bonding.

What about in 100 years? Will everything be FTTP even in rural areas such as mine?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Feb-11 18:16:21
Print Post

If you can predict 100 years time I suggest writing a book and making a fortune selling copies to investors.

BT did not exist 100 years ago, it probably wont exist in 100 years.

(regular) Mon 28-Feb-11 18:18:13
Print Post

Na, well my attenuation is 35.

On this line at the moment, whenever I reset my router I get this:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1178108260.png

Although whenever I leave it for a while, my ping goes up to 500 and there's 1Mbp speeds. I know it sounds a bit mad but I've tried a different modem and router and there's the same issues.

I can go for line bonding if I want... but was just wondering whether it's a bit crazy to think of FTTP and would the government / BT be more willing to provide it in areas such as where I live.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Feb-11 18:24:38
Print Post

A throughput test is not what matters just after resetting a router, ISP listed as BT, so IP profile even if the reboot resolved a sync issue would not have improved yet.

BT will provide where ever there is money to be made. Governments where ever it thinks it will help the economy, get more votes etc

I have a longer line get better speeds and don't have the ping issues, so it is possible some of this may be the ISP you use, the hardware you use, the line, or other local factors.

(regular) Mon 28-Feb-11 18:49:00
Print Post

It's really starting to [censored] me off. I don't know if high latency / ping causes a slow connection but I sure as hell have a slow connection once my ping goes up crazy
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to