General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jdowning640
(regular) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:16:28
Print Post

FTTC Speeds

[link to this post]

On the BT Wholesale checker, it says that people on the same cabinet as me can benefit from FTTC speeds and it said that they can purchase their fibre service from an ISP.
The exchange & cabinet are definitely enabled for fibre to the cabinet.

Unfortunately, I am unable to get it (probably because I'm too far out of the way). My line attenuation is 35 (down) and I get a sync speed of 7328Kbps download (here's my stats:

DSL Status: Up
DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT
DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED
Downstream Rate: 7328 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 7 db
Upstream Margin: 25 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 35
Upstream Line Attenuation: 20
Downstream Transmit Power: 0
Upstream Transmit Power: 0)

Anyway, do any of you know what speed you have to be getting in order for fibre to show up as available on the wholesale checker?

My speeds were around 2Mbps until an engineer came out and connected me to a new circuit or something on the pole and now I'm getting about 5Mbps.

It says on the wholesale checker: 'Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.'

But the other day when I was moving to BT Business, the man said if I would like to qualify for BT Infinity and he said he'll run a line test and he said yes your line is enabled and you can purchase BT Infinity with speeds of 31Mbps download and 5Mbps upload. He told me he'd ring me back to complete the order and when he did he said he done the final line check and it doesn't show up anymore that I can get it.

So yes, what speeds need to be shown on the line checker (and will it automatically come up that I can get FTTC if the speeds reach a certain amount?)

I appreciate your help, thanks.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:25:45
Print Post

Re: FTTC Speeds

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

It doesn't work like that, it's the length of your line from the street cabinet to your house that affects the checkers result.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:38:12
Print Post

have you tried both lines on the checker ? current speed doesn't matter as you could be 8km from the exchange but next door to a cabinet.

Try IDnet's checker http://www.idnet.net/fibre/

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:48:32
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Hi there, I think there's a problem with the wholesale checker for me and it's not showing my number at the moment but it'll probably come back up in a few minutes.

Doesn't IDNet use BT Wholesales checkers? And if say I was getting 5Mbps on ADSL, BT Wholesale provide a 5Mbps fibre product so why wouldn't it come up there?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:50:12
Print Post

they all pull from the same database. What about the other line ?

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 27-Feb-11 16:53:16
Print Post

ADSL speeds have nothing to do with it,
for adsl the equipment is in the exchange, so the speed depends on the distance from you to the exchange .
For FTTC, the equipment is in the green, street-side box, so it depends how close you are to this for your speed.
If FTTC is available in your area, you will be closer to a street cab, than the exchange, thus you should be able to get at least 5/15mb download (depending on who you go with)
(regular) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:57:19
Print Post

Hi there, same for the other line, it's right beside me 'Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.'

I'm about 1.8 miles from the cabinet I'm connected to - so is there any likelihood of me getting fibre frown
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:58:58
Print Post

Have you any history of the availability dates and/or speed of Infinity?

Have you ever seen a speed indicator for WBC FTTC on the BT Wholesale checker?

It could just be that the date is yo-yoing prior to actually going live. It seems quite common for it to disappear off the radar completely when it is close.

Re Infinity itself, that is still restricted by BT Broadband to lines with an estimate of 15Mbps+. Some if not most/all other FTTC suppliers will take orders as long as it is 5Mbps+, as Openreach now accept such orders from ISPs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 27-Feb-11 17:01:11
Print Post

Well the BT checker would say so, or if not would at least give you a date.
Im 1.6km from my exchange and on ADSL2+ i get about the same speeds as you,
when my fibre gets activated within the next 2 weeks should get the full 40mb!
(regular) Sun 27-Feb-11 17:03:26
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

How far are you from cabinet Anom?

And yarwell, I did notice when the cabinet was about to be enabled a load of months ago, it said something like 'Your line will support WBC fibre to the cabinet with speeds of around 500Kbps download and 100Kbps upload'. something like that <<

That's all I had seen and that BT Business guy as mentioned above said I could get it but on the last line check he said I couldn't crazy
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 27-Feb-11 17:05:05
Print Post

odd, your attenuation looks like you're about 1.8 miles from the *exchange*

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
(regular) Sun 27-Feb-11 17:06:26
Print Post

well see that's the thing, the cabinet and exchange are RIGHT beside each other... and i mean a few metres distance.
(regular) Sun 27-Feb-11 17:08:09
Print Post

http://tinyurl.com/cabinetexchange

A= cabinet
B= exchange
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 27-Feb-11 17:08:14
Print Post

I think there is a problem with the database today. Yetserday it said FTTC would be available on my line on 30th March. Now it says my number isn't a BT number.
(regular) Sun 27-Feb-11 17:10:35
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

well it's done that for me all day but i'm not just talking about me not being able to get info on FTTC through the wholesale checker today, it's been forever.
Standard User eddie1150
(learned) Sun 27-Feb-11 17:16:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by jdowning640:
How far are you from cabinet Anom?

And yarwell, I did notice when the cabinet was about to be enabled a load of months ago, it said something like 'Your line will support WBC fibre to the cabinet with speeds of around 500Kbps download and 100Kbps upload'. something like that <<

That's all I had seen and that BT Business guy as mentioned above said I could get it but on the last line check he said I couldn't crazy

Sorry, i was the first Anon poster, forgot to sign in!
Im less than 500 meters from the cab, its at the top of my street!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 27-Feb-11 17:16:17
Print Post

frown
http://www.eftelcorporate.com.au/Home/products/VDSL2...

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
(regular) Sun 27-Feb-11 17:22:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

So do you guys ever know if BT will provide a 5Mbps service?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 27-Feb-11 17:25:48
Print Post

do you mean BT Retail ie Infinity ?

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
(regular) Sun 27-Feb-11 17:28:21
Print Post

Yeah well if you could get 6Mbps through BTs network (wholesale) then it'd still show up on the wholesale checker wouldn't it?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Feb-11 11:25:50
Print Post

If the cabinet/exchange locations are correct then you stand to gain very little from FTTC, since VDSL2 will perform very like ADSL2+ at those distances, i.e 1.8mile of copper, you appear to be only removing perhaps 200m of copper cable.

Thus it is possible that a not available on your line decision has been made.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Mon 28-Feb-11 17:24:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi MrSaffron,

So what does the future hold for people & businesses like me who are 2 miles from the cabinet & exchange who can get around 3-5Mbps?

Are there any other viable options except line bonding?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 28-Feb-11 17:36:48
Print Post

You'd get around 13 Mbps with adsl2+. With bonding you'd just multiply that by how many lines you bond, so if you have 2 lines bonded, you'd get 26Mbps.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Mon 28-Feb-11 17:39:20)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Feb-11 17:51:05
Print Post

If 2miles from cabinet and exchange do you mean 4 miles in total? In which case they are looking at doubling or better of speeds with FTTC probably.

Where FTTC is removing only a few metres of cable, then the future is line bonding, or FTTH, or wireless.

At 2miles 3.5km of cable you should already be connecting at higher than 5Mbps, 7.5Meg connection with ADSL2+ is easily achievable. 45dB attenuation shows many lines getting that sort of figure.

There is not always a need to throw technology at an issue, there will be many people who just need to tidy up wiring, get a bit of external cable fixed and speeds can improve. Alas people aren't wanting to pay for someone to do this or commit the time to look at the wiring in their home.

Remember BT group is only looking at 2/3rd's coverage with its FTTC/P products, so there was never a commitment to do all cabinets/lines at a specific exchange.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 28-Feb-11 17:55:51
Print Post

So what does the future hold for people & businesses like me who are 2 miles from the cabinet & exchange who can get around 3-5Mbps?

welcome to the doughnut. You're in the hole in the middle.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
(regular) Mon 28-Feb-11 18:04:33
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I was just off the phone to a smaller ISP and they told me I was on another cabinet although they said their database might be messed up.

This way, if it went to Cabinet 7, it'd be 4.6 miles from my house to the *newly found* cabinet.

From the exchange to the new cabinet, it'd be 2.6 miles leaving it to be 2 miles. That's around the same as it was so either way there's nothing other than bonding.

What about in 100 years? Will everything be FTTP even in rural areas such as mine?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Feb-11 18:16:21
Print Post

If you can predict 100 years time I suggest writing a book and making a fortune selling copies to investors.

BT did not exist 100 years ago, it probably wont exist in 100 years.

(regular) Mon 28-Feb-11 18:18:13
Print Post

Na, well my attenuation is 35.

On this line at the moment, whenever I reset my router I get this:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1178108260.png

Although whenever I leave it for a while, my ping goes up to 500 and there's 1Mbp speeds. I know it sounds a bit mad but I've tried a different modem and router and there's the same issues.

I can go for line bonding if I want... but was just wondering whether it's a bit crazy to think of FTTP and would the government / BT be more willing to provide it in areas such as where I live.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Feb-11 18:24:38
Print Post

A throughput test is not what matters just after resetting a router, ISP listed as BT, so IP profile even if the reboot resolved a sync issue would not have improved yet.

BT will provide where ever there is money to be made. Governments where ever it thinks it will help the economy, get more votes etc

I have a longer line get better speeds and don't have the ping issues, so it is possible some of this may be the ISP you use, the hardware you use, the line, or other local factors.

(regular) Mon 28-Feb-11 18:49:00
Print Post

It's really starting to [censored] me off. I don't know if high latency / ping causes a slow connection but I sure as hell have a slow connection once my ping goes up crazy
Standard User eddie1150
(learned) Mon 28-Feb-11 21:54:23
Print Post

Ill happily look at your internal wiriing if your anywhere near Yorkshire!
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 28-Feb-11 21:55:17
Print Post

not changed ISP yet ? plenty of monthly contract ones to test drive.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 28-Feb-11 22:04:40
Print Post

[re: eddie1150] [link to this post]

Can you swim? He's in NI.
Not sure it's a wiring problem anyway.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User eddie1150
(learned) Mon 28-Feb-11 22:09:46
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Can you swim? He's in NI.
Not sure it's a wiring problem anyway.

aha i can, but ah well always keen to help out!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to