General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nmg196
(member) Tue 01-Mar-11 21:26:42
Print Post

Re: Disappointing fibre install

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

No he posted that:
"12Mb/s elevated throughput for 90 per cent of the time over the busiest three-hour period"

Throughput is the same as assured rate so the only difference is, his quote has extra detail over how it's measured.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 01-Mar-11 21:29:12
Print Post

[re: nmg196] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nmg196:
No he posted that:
"12Mb/s elevated throughput for 90 per cent of the time over the busiest three-hour period"

Throughput is the same as assured rate so the only difference is, his quote has extra detail over how it's measured.
It also says "8Mb/s standard throughput for 90 per cent of the time over the busiest three-hour period"

What do either of these have to do with 12Mbps assured rate??

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Tue 01-Mar-11 21:29:51)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 01-Mar-11 21:37:09
Print Post

they use "download" to differentiate it from "upload", not to imply a difference between sync and throughput which is way too complex for them to handle.

The minimum download of 15M is the minimum predicted downstream rate BT Infinity was provided at, 30M average from the 15 - 40M range of user experiences.

Openreach have a CIR of 20M or line rate on the link from can to exchange, line rate is expressed as ethernet data rate on VDSL, it isn't ATM

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 01-Mar-11 21:39:49
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

so the 12M is for the premium "busienss" services paying more, rather than the 8M of the standard "home" services ?

and it's for 90% of the time, ie the same as the 2M on ADSL for 90% of the busiest 3 hour period. As you say, it's not "assured" it's indicative.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 01-Mar-11 21:41:08
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Still waiting for Aquiss to clarify....

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 01-Mar-11 21:41:23
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

15 meg is guaranteed throughput from openreach over the gea fibre

wrong, it's lesser of 20M or line rate.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User pouser
(regular) Thu 10-Mar-11 16:18:21
Print Post

Thanks for all the comments...the topic seems to have gone off track....!

I have waited for the 10 days trial period to be over...just in case and now find the real cause of the 'problem'

It seems that the speedtest servers dont cope well with higher speeds.

I can download files on all my PC's at the same time (from say the BBC or Microsoft) at up to 32mb per second total but none of them will run at any more that 5-6mb per second. It seems that servers cant (or wont) output anything above 5-6mb but will allow several connections at once?

Also I have used Rapidshare and no downlload will go faster than 1000kb per second...BUT I can download about 20 files at the same time all at that speed.

So....Fibre is good in that respect and after having such a slow connection before it seems the future has arrived at last!

Steve
Standard User Snake
(committed) Thu 10-Mar-11 16:29:42
Print Post

[re: pouser] [link to this post]

use a download manager to download a file with multiple connections you will see that throughput hit full speed smile

Snake smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 10-Mar-11 16:33:08
Print Post

Good smile.

The one BT test you did was fine, did you ever try the one on the main site here?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User nmg196
(member) Thu 10-Mar-11 17:57:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by pouser:
It seems that servers cant (or wont) output anything above 5-6mb but will allow several connections at once?

No this is not the case. I can easily achieve nearly the full 40Mb (I get 39.1 on my line) from the speedtest.net and thinkbroadband.com servers, so there must be another problem or perhaps some contention on your network. But it's definitely not the case that the servers can't cope - I've seen 91Mbs from speedtest.net when testing from our server hosted on a 100Mb ethernet connection at a datacentre.

Are you trying to test over WiFi which could potentially cause a lot of problems when testing connections this fast? You need to be testing on 100Mb ethernet cable connection to your router. Even my 65Mb wireless N connection cannot transfer data much faster than about 20Mbps even though my pc is only about 3 metres away from the BT home hub. Did you also try several different servers in your area and also perhaps, a different testing site?

As others have suggested, downloading a very large test file from thinkbroadband.com using a download manager such as FDM might be the best way for you to test your particular line while minimising the effects of contention.

Nick
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to