General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mrnelster
(member) Thu 10-Mar-11 20:23:40
Print Post

Re: Disappointing fibre install

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Still waiting for Aquiss to clarify....

You claimed that fast path is fine on a 6km line and that Interleaving was simply a cure for noise???

I think I know who I will believe thanks.

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 10-Mar-11 20:40:10
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrnelster:
You claimed that fast path is fine on a 6km line and that Interleaving was simply a cure for noise???
and you agreed.

Why are you posting about that in this thread confused

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User mrnelster
(member) Thu 10-Mar-11 21:04:20
Print Post

and you agreed.

I didn't agree with you. I was trying to point out your confusion with cause and effect.

Interleaving is a cure for noise? Congratulations Einstein.

Because everywhere you pop up, you state the obvious and then break up the thread with your ridiculous semantics.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 10-Mar-11 21:50:57
Print Post

and you agreed.

I didn't agree with you. I was trying to point out your confusion with cause and effect.

Interleaving is a cure for noise? Congratulations Einstein.

Because everywhere you pop up, you state the obvious and then break up the thread with your ridiculous semantics.
I see you're having trouble working with the forum software. Keep practising sonny.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 10-Mar-11 21:55:53
Print Post

I see you're having trouble working with the forum software. Keep practising sonny.
You've been warned several times about your attitude to other posters, I would suggest that you don't persist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mrnelster
(member) Thu 10-Mar-11 22:11:05
Print Post

You're right. I'm having terrible trouble working this thing, so why don't you help me?

Start a new thread on the benefits of fast path on a 6km line. When the consensus here is that noise isn't a problem on long lines, so Interleaving is a waste of time, then I will point that out to all the high level support staff at BT and Sky who have decided (after trying many different options) that without the Interleaving the line is virtually unusable.

Or perhaps you will find it really isn't that cut and dried?

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 10-Mar-11 22:17:04
Print Post

You're right. I'm having terrible trouble working this thing, so why don't you help me?

Start a new thread on the benefits of fast path on a 6km line. When the consensus here is that noise isn't a problem on long lines, so Interleaving is a waste of time, then I will point that out to all the high level support staff at BT and Sky who have decided (after trying many different options) that without the Interleaving the line is virtually unusable.

Or perhaps you will find it really isn't that cut and dried?
Perhaps you have a line fault? Sudden increases in latency can't really be due to noise.

Standard User mrnelster
(member) Thu 10-Mar-11 22:48:57
Print Post

Perhaps you have a line fault? Sudden increases in latency can't really be due to noise.

The simple explanation:

Long lines can mean higher noise levels. Fast path keeps latency down but can cause severe instability.

Interleaving stabilises the connection but increases latency in he process.

I could link you to some perfectly good explanations of that on this forum, but I'm not sure I know how to? wink

Standard User mrnelster
(member) Thu 10-Mar-11 22:53:33
Print Post

So I'll just quote one instead:

Credit to Rego for the explanation below smile

Fastpath is not really an accurate discription, I think perhaps direct path is a more realistic term for what is actully happening.

Fastpath is not necessarily about an increase in speed, although under certain conditions it can have this effect.

In fact, fastpath is just a different way in which the data is transmitted over your telephone line, which is most suited to telephone lines with a low attenuation figure, and a low noise factor.

Even if the attenuation is low but there is noise present on the line fastpath will be unstable, and liable to cause diconnections.

Which is why often an increase in SN margin is neccessary for stability, and this can negate any increase in speed initally gained by the switch.

The system used for people with longer lines, noisy lines, and lines with higher attenuation, is called interleaving, this system corrects most of the transmission errors on a telephone line, and so gives more stablity to the connection.

That is why, when you look at the modem stats from an interleaved connection you will see FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 78,380 These are errors that have been corrected by the interleaving process. [although the bebox misreports these errors]

The down side of the interleaving process is the increases latency and the higher ping times, which are not so good for online gamers.

With fastpath this error correction is turned off so when you look at the stats from a fastpath connection you will see no FEC Errors (Up/Down.

Because there is no error correction unless the telephone line connection is very good it will almost certainly be unstable, and cause disconnections and stalling.

The advantages of fastpath, if you have a suitable connection, is it offers lower latency and faster ping times which for online gamers is important.

However this certainly does not mean that you will get an increase in speed in fact on longer or slightly noisy telephone lines, it will cause a drop in speed because of the higher SN Margin required for stability.

Standard User mrnelster
(member) Thu 10-Mar-11 23:03:40
Print Post

So there we have it.

Length increase = noise increase = instability = Interleaving requirement = increased latency.

I am sure you will find an exception to the rule or die trying, but I'm happy with this explanation thank you.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to