General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 04-Mar-11 14:02:48
Print Post

Re: FTTC being installed next week.. So what router do YOU u

[re: Intenti0n] [link to this post]

I use a wndr3700 v1, (with latest firmware). It's not cheap but it does what I need and has a usb port, which I can link my hard drive to it so I can fttp or http to it.
Also with the latest firmware it does ipv6.
Standard User Intenti0n
(newbie) Sat 05-Mar-11 19:50:00
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

thanks, that router does look interesting ....

the v1 of WNDR3700 is rated much higher then its v2 brother.

hrm, where can you buy it from and ensure its a v1 and not v2 ?

I know its netgear but the review looks amazing. Looks like its going to be a showdown of
Linksys E3000 v Netgear WNR3700 v1

decisions decisions !
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 05-Mar-11 21:59:52
Print Post

I got my v1 from Amazon 2 weeks ago. If you do see one in a shop though I think the identify mark on the box is the difference of flash ram. V1 has 8meg and v2 has 16meg

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Intenti0n
(newbie) Sat 05-Mar-11 23:13:41
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Do you have the product link ?

just want to ensure I get the right one ... if i go for netgear smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Mar-11 23:22:19
Print Post

I gather you daren't risk something under £25, that can be returned if not happy?

I quite like not having spent £100 pounds more. tongue

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User Intenti0n
(newbie) Sat 05-Mar-11 23:44:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I kid you not mate, I did look at the Buffalo but when I read the reviews about it on Amazon, I didnt like the reports about poor reception for the wireless.

How do you find the wireless reception ?
Standard User stevepressman
(learned) Sun 06-Mar-11 02:35:30
Print Post

Did you read the Buffalo reviews from here too ?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/201376?utm_source=goog...

Steve
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Mar-11 12:43:04
Print Post

I can't claim to be an expert, nor to work it hard, just this laptop in use a lot of the time, but I think it is better than a Speedtouch 585v6, 585v7 (O2 box), and Netgear 834N and 834PN.

The house is a metal frame, so not great for wireless. Router at front top left in spare bedroom, me at front bottom right downstairs. Sometimes I move to the far end to watch F1 with live timing running but of course there isn't any at the moment. But the reception from there seems good. Then I took it out into the back garden.

It was very cold so I didn't do much of a test, but it stayed connected for quite a distance. Definitely failed by 10 metres away, but that is over 20 metres from the router with the floor frame and rear frame, plus various other blockers. Speedtouch hardly worked straight outside the back door.

This laptop's card is apparently 130Mbps max and I get that nearly every time I check. I have seen it at 65Mbps or occasionally below, but monitoring isn't a simple icon you can hover over frown. You have to click the icon to get the connection speed, though the icon itself is a 3-bar signal strength and stays that way nearly all the time. The others all varied quite a lot between the "g" 54Mbps and 11Mbps.

Just remembered - I wonder if the bad reviewers didn't discover it likes you to install Buffalo drivers off the CD? I remember I did that after having initial trouble, but I don't remember the detail.

Sorry that's a very inexpert and light usage report. Best I can do sorry.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User Intenti0n
(newbie) Sun 06-Mar-11 22:53:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Appreciate the reply mate.

As its slowly churning in my head, i HAVE decided to go for the buffalo N300 !
I figure, if it doesnt do well , I could always return it, but if it DOES do well, then i have saved a wad of money smile

The only question remains.... where do I buy it from and are these the same models:
Ebuyer which says V2

or from amazon:
Here

Is the ebuyer one a newer version? does it actually have anything different from the amazon one?

thanks in advance
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Mar-11 23:24:20
Print Post

Mine came from Amazon. It's a v2. That was the link I was given by the person who recommended it to me and we already had an Amazon account, and a solid returns policy, so I didn't even look around at (in my case £23.56 delivered).

The Amazon link you give is exactly the one I used, and it looks the same. The thing about the later model on the same page was there at the time as well, but browsing all I could find I couldn't find what was different. So stuck with the cheapest!

I must admit I was a bit worried about the extremely low price but my reasoning was exactly as you say. What I will say is that the GUI is seriously impressive. As before, I'm no expert on routers, so all I have changed (IIRC) is to allow ping replies so the tbb BQM works.

Re Amazon, I used the Quick Order button that uses a stored credit card number. The result was it added next day delivery at some silly price, so I immediately went in and edited that to the Super Saver. As I expected, I still got effectively next day delivery. (I nearly always rely on suppliers getting stuff out of the door asap, and couriers are now so well organised they aren't going to store stuff for three days just because that's the guarantee time. The week before Christmas may be different!)

Order Fri 11 Feb 15:00, acknowledgement email:-
Delivery estimate: 16 Feb 2011 - 18 Feb 2011
Dispatch estimate for these items: 14 Feb 2011

Despatch email Sun 13 Feb 9:40:-
Dispatched via Royal Mail (estimated arrival date: February 18, 2011).
Which means in the post to go on Mon 14 really.

Arrived Tue 15 smile.

Hope that helps.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to