General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Intenti0n
(newbie) Tue 08-Mar-11 22:55:50
Print Post

Re: FTTC being installed next week.. So what router do YOU u

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

FTTC installed !

Buffalo N300 delivered !

first speedtest on FTC done !

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1191229154.png

extremely happy with everything !!

... i recall that the speed you get in the first two weeks is fluctuates? does that mean after 2 weeks ,it might be slower than today?

thanks

btw, for people that don't want to click the speed link, its basically 37mb down, 8mb up and 5ms ping !!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 09-Mar-11 00:18:12
Print Post

[re: Intenti0n] [link to this post]

Perfect! smile

My sync/IP Profile has never changed.

I find a speed test soon after midnight can be very low - that is the time all the "relatively high" downloaders schedule their starts, but most of the time I'm well over 30Mbps.

The tbb BQM is a great tool if you aren't using it already. Here's a typical one for me. (Today's is missing a lot because the BQM service was borked I'm told you can see re-syncs on it, in which case I haven't had any.

I selected "cable >> other" as the service.

Which way did you set up the Buffalo? GUI wizards, GUI manually, or CD?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 09-Mar-11 00:21:26)

Standard User Intenti0n
(newbie) Wed 09-Mar-11 21:38:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I never normally go for wizard based installations but it just popped up, so I entered in the required details and everything worked.

... until i tried to set the admin password !. I set it and was then prompted to log back in. However, it just would not accept my password. I typed it 20times and even tried combos where I was starting with caps lock on ... in case it was on when i entered in the password originally.

After much hair pulling, I had to chuck in the towel and do a factory reset. This bought everything back online but I had lost the settings. I went to the password screen again and could see what the issue was. The airstation does not allow passwords over 8 chars !!! So even though it accepted my password when I first added it, it much have chopped letters off the end.

Even though I am a bit of a techy, I didnt really get the AOSS / WPS features. I know its related to wireless (i think!) but never really used it. Do you?

I did change the wireless bandwidth to 40mhz so i could connect at 300MBS ... works a treat !

All in all, very happy with it and all thanks to your recommendations smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Mar-11 22:00:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Intenti0n:
I never normally go for wizard based installations but it just popped up, so I entered in the required details and everything worked.

... until i tried to set the admin password !. I set it and was then prompted to log back in. However, it just would not accept my password. I typed it 20times and even tried combos where I was starting with caps lock on ... in case it was on when i entered in the password originally.

After much hair pulling, I had to chuck in the towel and do a factory reset. This bought everything back online but I had lost the settings. I went to the password screen again and could see what the issue was. The airstation does not allow passwords over 8 chars !!! So even though it accepted my password when I first added it, it much have chopped letters off the end.

Even though I am a bit of a techy, I didnt really get the AOSS / WPS features. I know its related to wireless (i think!) but never really used it. Do you?

I did change the wireless bandwidth to 40mhz so i could connect at 300MBS ... works a treat !

All in all, very happy with it and all thanks to your recommendations smile

Just recieved mine today and so far so good, set it up, shed load more config than the Homehub. However I`m not connecting at 300Mbps ?? Is that a wireless card limitation? Currently getting 65Mbps from one laptop and 135Mbps from the other. Also have the blackberry connected but not sure at what speed?? Does it carve up the speeds to suit or should all connect at 300Mbps assuming they are compatible?

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 09-Mar-11 22:24:51
Print Post

I agree with you about wizards - generally almost but not quite as bad as supplied CDs. But I was in a rush at the time, with the engineer wanting to be on his way, so tried it. Amazing! Worked a treat.

What a daft restriction these days re the password. On the other hand should be safe enough, and given the rest of it, smile.

Re auto setup of wireless again I prefer to do manual settings, as that's the best way to understand what is going on. That helps a lot when trying to diagnose a problem. However for some reason, possibly to do with the length and impressiveness of the default pass key, or maybe because I thought it might do better than me in view of the main setup wizard, I gave it a whirl.

The WPS seems from the Help to be an industry standard. The AOSS something to optimise wireless when used with a Buffalo receiver (dongle or card) at the computer end. So I pressed the button and clicked the WPS screen one and bingo.

Darn thing told me my laptop can't do 40Mhz or two-channel frown. Stuck at 130Mbps max.

I bet if you are honest, like me you didn't really expect it to be much good. Perhaps acceptable at the price. But it really is top-notch so far? Even if it burns itself to death in a couple of years you can get four for £100! Is that GUI and its facilities good, or what?

Makes you wonder what the high prices of all the others are all about.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 09-Mar-11 22:41:51
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

Try each one individually, with the others turned off, in the same room as it, and what do you get then for each?

Differences should be down to the receiver.

Note the 2-channel and 40Mhz options, and my reply to the OP. I get 130Mbps best, and my Nokia N900 seems to fly compared to what it did with a 54Mbps Netgear 834PN.

What do you think of the rest of it?

Standard User Intenti0n
(newbie) Wed 09-Mar-11 23:32:23
Print Post

I had to google it myself mate as I was sure that I should be connecting higher than 130mb.

Firstly I checked to make sure my laptop had a "n" wireless card.

I then went to Wireless config - Basic(11n/g/b) and changed the 300mbs mode band width to 40MHz (from 20MHz).

I also changed the wireless channel from auto to 6 and then chose the extension channel as 10 .... I don't think this is required but just wanted to share exactly what I did.

So now on my laptop, i see connected speed as 300mbs, obviously it does move up and down but generally over 200mbs.

good luck
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 10-Mar-11 05:48:08
Print Post

aye its a bit weird, I`ll play around later as got work to go to now smile I`ve set it to 40mhz option but still strange. The wifes laptop has actually dropped in speed as its went down to 65Mbps and its sitting right next to it. The router itself is tiny, its been bought for two jobs actually, was going to use it as a wireless bridge for the eldest lads PC but meantime I`ll use it service the house in the vain hope that BT get their fingers out their @rse.

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User D_an_W
(member) Thu 10-Mar-11 06:32:04
Print Post

I use the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station and I LOVE IT!!!

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Mar-11 08:08:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by Intenti0n:
I also changed the wireless channel from auto to 6 and then chose the extension channel as 10 .... I don't think this is required but just wanted to share exactly what I did.

It means you're now using both channels. If you're in a wirelessly crowdeded area, you've got more chance of interference from others people.

Use inSSIDer to see graphically what is going on. N dual channel isn't "fair" to neighbours smile

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to