General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 10-Mar-11 08:57:59
Print Post

Re: FTTC being installed next week.. So what router do YOU u

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Surely it means if one channel gets interference the other stands a chance of compensating?

Edit - found this.

The way I read it, you could be right about slight unfairness, but the interference effect is to (at worst) knock out one channel that may still run at 130Mbps. 130 > 54?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 10-Mar-11 09:08:57)

Standard User Icemansin
(member) Thu 10-Mar-11 12:46:08
Print Post

[re: Intenti0n] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Intenti0n:
btw, for people that don't want to click the speed link, its basically 37mb down, 8mb up and 5ms ping !!

Do you know approximately how far you are from your local street cabinet?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 10-Mar-11 16:00:22
Print Post

[re: Icemansin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Icemansin:
In reply to a post by Intenti0n:
btw, for people that don't want to click the speed link, its basically 37mb down, 8mb up and 5ms ping !!
Do you know approximately how far you are from your local street cabinet?
FWIW I'm 500-600m and get full sync - 39992/10000.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Mar-11 20:21:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Surely it means if one channel gets interference the other stands a chance of compensating?

Yes - but you potentially take out a channel a neighbour could be using for G, with your attempt to get faster speeds.

Its an issue to me as I'm in a block of flats. I've had WiFi since 2002, and in 2008 I started seeing other networks appear, and there are now almost a dozen. Many are overlapping. Performance of my single channel N connection was equal to wired - on my work laptop (Intel 5100 wireless) which states "65meg" most of the time. However I'm now seeing lots of interference causing retries so data rates over wireless at 4meg.

Dual channel doesn't help this. The old 802.11a band at 5.4ghz does help, if all equipment is compatible. Many routers offer 2.4 or 5.4 switchable - what we need is both for legacy devices and new devices to interoperate, so that handheld devices that aren't N compatible don't interfere with equipment that is.

The way I read it, you could be right about slight unfairness, but the interference effect is to (at worst) knock out one channel that may still run at 130Mbps. 130 > 54?

Its only "unfair" if you're using two channels in a road / block where channels are in demand. If you're in an open area you should be fine. inSSIDer is the friend here smile

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User Icemansin
(member) Fri 11-Mar-11 08:53:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

FWIW I'm 500-600m and get full sync - 39992/10000.

Thanks for the info, from my rough estimates (using google pedometer) I am roughly 300-400m from my nearest street cabinet (at the top of the road), so I am hoping that once FTTC is enabled in my area that I would get the full sync speed...
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Mar-11 08:40:24
Print Post

more to it than that am afraid I measured the distance from my house to my cab, using my bike GPS ( yes not totally accurate granted ). It was coming in at 300m approx and I don`t get full sync, so it may take a long winded ( likely) or just poor quality cabling? Sync at 31Mb and 8mb. On ADSL2+ it was about 13Mb and 1.3Mb. What does the BT checker come in with as its pretty much on the button for me.

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User Zadeks
(member) Sat 12-Mar-11 09:47:46
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

Sounds like you have a poor line.
Standard User mrnelster
(member) Sat 12-Mar-11 10:31:52
Print Post

.......I don`t get full sync, so it may take a long winded ( likely).......

I agree. Look up the postcode MK8 0EN on google maps. The cab is on the westward side by the entrance to Hendrix drive. Opposite is a crescent named Cruickshank Drive. It was once a dead end. That part of the crescent was built 15 years after the original entrance at the other end.

The BT engineers at the cab told me it wasn't ducted across the road and that when the Drive was changed to a Crescent, it was most likely extendedfrom the "original" end of Cruickshank.

If they are correct you can see how people would naturally assume they are 25m away from their cab, when in reality they could be 750!

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.
Standard User Icemansin
(member) Sat 12-Mar-11 15:19:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrGrumpy:
more to it than that am afraid I measured the distance from my house to my cab, using my bike GPS ( yes not totally accurate granted ). It was coming in at 300m approx and I don`t get full sync, so it may take a long winded ( likely) or just poor quality cabling? Sync at 31Mb and 8mb. On ADSL2+ it was about 13Mb and 1.3Mb. What does the BT checker come in with as its pretty much on the button for me.

Hrmm, yeah i know its not an exact science, currently on my ADSL2+ connection, I synch at 11Mb/1.3Mb.

When I checked the estimated results last week (has disappeared now and says its not currently scheduled to be rolled out in my area) it was 34Mb/9Mb, but everyone says these estimates are quite conservative?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Mar-11 18:23:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Icemansin:
When I checked the estimated results last week (has disappeared now and says its not currently scheduled to be rolled out in my area) it was 34Mb/9Mb, but everyone says these estimates are quite conservative?
That sounds as though it is imminent.

Mine (still) says
"Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 28.9Mbps and upstream line speed of 6.4Mbps."

Test just now
My Broadband Speed Test or in numbers
12/03/11 18:14 Sat 36547 Kbps 8315 Kbps Home Starter Fibre

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to