General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Intenti0n
(newbie) Thu 03-Mar-11 21:13:25
Print Post

FTTC being installed next week.. So what router do YOU use?

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Long term lurker, first time poster smile

I am having FTTC installed next week from IDNET. I chose to decline the offer from IDnet for the WNR1000 as I really have had a bad experience with netgear routers (most recently from Virgin hub)

The only real concern I have is that I might get a router that doesnt have enough "ooomph" to run FTTC .... or am I being silly ?

I would like the router to have wireless N and to cost less than £100.

I am not too fussed about gigabit ports and i have a 8 port gigabit switch.

I have done some digging and one of the ones that seems to fit the bill is:
Linksys e3000 The problem is, how do you know how good it is before actually buying it ?

Anyway, which router are you using / would recommend?

any tips / advise would be appreciated smile
Standard User eddie1150
(regular) Thu 03-Mar-11 21:38:53
Print Post

Re: FTTC being installed next week.. So what router do YOU u

[re: Intenti0n] [link to this post]

i recently started a thread like this,
thats a good router so ive read!
Standard User Zadeks
(member) Thu 03-Mar-11 21:44:35
Print Post

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-rev...

> 200 Mb/s WAN to LAN routing so it should be fine for FTTC.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User orly
(experienced) Thu 03-Mar-11 22:03:56
Print Post

We have the BT supplied Home Hub 2...does the job but it's not spectacular by any stretch. But it was free.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
Connected to: P23 Kilmaine Road, Bangor, BT19 6DT (NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Previously:
BT Broadband, roughly 4mbit sync
4KM line / 54dB atten / 9dB SNR / Netgear DG834GT
Standard User Intenti0n
(newbie) Thu 03-Mar-11 22:45:17
Print Post

[re: eddie1150] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies so far.

Sods, law, this guy had 10 of those E3000 for £80:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LINKSYS-E3000-EW-Dual-b-Wirele...

a few days ago and they have all gone !

Unless i can get a better recommendation, I think this is the one I would go far.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 04-Mar-11 10:02:51
Print Post

Smallnetbuilder recommends the v1 of the WNDR3700. That is Netgear, however.

If you don't want to go Netgear, you'll find the e3000 perfect for a router under £100.

Right now, I'm inclined to buy a e4200, but as it's a brand new router, you have to pay full retail price.. I.e. £169.99
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 04-Mar-11 10:12:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Intenti0n:
Hi All,

Long term lurker, first time poster smile

I am having FTTC installed next week from IDNET. I chose to decline the offer from IDnet for the WNR1000 as I really have had a bad experience with netgear routers (most recently from Virgin hub)

The only real concern I have is that I might get a router that doesnt have enough "ooomph" to run FTTC .... or am I being silly ?

I would like the router to have wireless N and to cost less than £100.

I am not too fussed about gigabit ports and i have a 8 port gigabit switch.

I have done some digging and one of the ones that seems to fit the bill is:
Linksys e3000 The problem is, how do you know how good it is before actually buying it ?

Anyway, which router are you using / would recommend?

any tips / advise would be appreciated smile
I got a Buffalo Airstation Nfiniti WHR-G300Nv2 from Amazon £23.56 delivered. Currently £23.40.

Seems great.

Ignored the CD, waited till the engineer had tested the FTTC connection, ran the Connection Wizard in the GUI, and within 20 seconds it connected fine to IDNet!! No hassle since.

Seemed a no-brainer to me at that price and returnable.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 04-Mar-11 10:17:09)

Standard User mrnelster
(regular) Fri 04-Mar-11 10:32:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I got a Buffalo Airstation Nfiniti WHR-G300Nv2 from Amazon £23.56 delivered. Currently £23.40.

Seems great.

Hi RobertoS

Fingers crossed I hope to upgrade to FTTC in a few weeks time (most likely with Aquiss) and wonder whether to grab one of these while at that price.

I dont know much about router compatibility etc., but I dont really want to use my HH2 once I am away from BT. And at that price upgrading to something else if necessary (as FTTC develops), wont be that painful. smile

Neil

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 04-Mar-11 10:47:43
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Smallnetbuilder recommends the v1 of the WNDR3700. That is Netgear, however.

If you don't want to go Netgear, you'll find the e3000 perfect for a router under £100.

Right now, I'm inclined to buy a e4200, but as it's a brand new router, you have to pay full retail price.. I.e. £169.99

So I just went and bought one.. The price has some down by £23 on Amazon.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 04-Mar-11 10:52:45
Print Post

I got one, paid a little more as amazon delivery was early may.
Eddie1150
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 04-Mar-11 14:02:48
Print Post

I use a wndr3700 v1, (with latest firmware). It's not cheap but it does what I need and has a usb port, which I can link my hard drive to it so I can fttp or http to it.
Also with the latest firmware it does ipv6.
Standard User Intenti0n
(newbie) Sat 05-Mar-11 19:50:00
Print Post

thanks, that router does look interesting ....

the v1 of WNDR3700 is rated much higher then its v2 brother.

hrm, where can you buy it from and ensure its a v1 and not v2 ?

I know its netgear but the review looks amazing. Looks like its going to be a showdown of
Linksys E3000 v Netgear WNR3700 v1

decisions decisions !
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 05-Mar-11 21:59:52
Print Post

I got my v1 from Amazon 2 weeks ago. If you do see one in a shop though I think the identify mark on the box is the difference of flash ram. V1 has 8meg and v2 has 16meg
Standard User Intenti0n
(newbie) Sat 05-Mar-11 23:13:41
Print Post

Do you have the product link ?

just want to ensure I get the right one ... if i go for netgear smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Mar-11 23:22:19
Print Post

I gather you daren't risk something under £25, that can be returned if not happy?

I quite like not having spent £100 pounds more. tongue

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User Intenti0n
(newbie) Sat 05-Mar-11 23:44:46
Print Post

I kid you not mate, I did look at the Buffalo but when I read the reviews about it on Amazon, I didnt like the reports about poor reception for the wireless.

How do you find the wireless reception ?
Standard User stevepressman
(learned) Sun 06-Mar-11 02:35:30
Print Post

Did you read the Buffalo reviews from here too ?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/201376?utm_source=goog...

Steve
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Mar-11 12:43:04
Print Post

I can't claim to be an expert, nor to work it hard, just this laptop in use a lot of the time, but I think it is better than a Speedtouch 585v6, 585v7 (O2 box), and Netgear 834N and 834PN.

The house is a metal frame, so not great for wireless. Router at front top left in spare bedroom, me at front bottom right downstairs. Sometimes I move to the far end to watch F1 with live timing running but of course there isn't any at the moment. But the reception from there seems good. Then I took it out into the back garden.

It was very cold so I didn't do much of a test, but it stayed connected for quite a distance. Definitely failed by 10 metres away, but that is over 20 metres from the router with the floor frame and rear frame, plus various other blockers. Speedtouch hardly worked straight outside the back door.

This laptop's card is apparently 130Mbps max and I get that nearly every time I check. I have seen it at 65Mbps or occasionally below, but monitoring isn't a simple icon you can hover over frown. You have to click the icon to get the connection speed, though the icon itself is a 3-bar signal strength and stays that way nearly all the time. The others all varied quite a lot between the "g" 54Mbps and 11Mbps.

Just remembered - I wonder if the bad reviewers didn't discover it likes you to install Buffalo drivers off the CD? I remember I did that after having initial trouble, but I don't remember the detail.

Sorry that's a very inexpert and light usage report. Best I can do sorry.

Standard User Intenti0n
(newbie) Sun 06-Mar-11 22:53:57
Print Post

Appreciate the reply mate.

As its slowly churning in my head, i HAVE decided to go for the buffalo N300 !
I figure, if it doesnt do well , I could always return it, but if it DOES do well, then i have saved a wad of money smile

The only question remains.... where do I buy it from and are these the same models:
Ebuyer which says V2

or from amazon:
Here

Is the ebuyer one a newer version? does it actually have anything different from the amazon one?

thanks in advance
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Mar-11 23:24:20
Print Post

Mine came from Amazon. It's a v2. That was the link I was given by the person who recommended it to me and we already had an Amazon account, and a solid returns policy, so I didn't even look around at (in my case £23.56 delivered).

The Amazon link you give is exactly the one I used, and it looks the same. The thing about the later model on the same page was there at the time as well, but browsing all I could find I couldn't find what was different. So stuck with the cheapest!

I must admit I was a bit worried about the extremely low price but my reasoning was exactly as you say. What I will say is that the GUI is seriously impressive. As before, I'm no expert on routers, so all I have changed (IIRC) is to allow ping replies so the tbb BQM works.

Re Amazon, I used the Quick Order button that uses a stored credit card number. The result was it added next day delivery at some silly price, so I immediately went in and edited that to the Super Saver. As I expected, I still got effectively next day delivery. (I nearly always rely on suppliers getting stuff out of the door asap, and couriers are now so well organised they aren't going to store stuff for three days just because that's the guarantee time. The week before Christmas may be different!)

Order Fri 11 Feb 15:00, acknowledgement email:-
Delivery estimate: 16 Feb 2011 - 18 Feb 2011
Dispatch estimate for these items: 14 Feb 2011

Despatch email Sun 13 Feb 9:40:-
Dispatched via Royal Mail (estimated arrival date: February 18, 2011).
Which means in the post to go on Mon 14 really.

Arrived Tue 15 smile.

Hope that helps.

Standard User Intenti0n
(newbie) Tue 08-Mar-11 22:55:50
Print Post

FTTC installed !

Buffalo N300 delivered !

first speedtest on FTC done !

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1191229154.png

extremely happy with everything !!

... i recall that the speed you get in the first two weeks is fluctuates? does that mean after 2 weeks ,it might be slower than today?

thanks

btw, for people that don't want to click the speed link, its basically 37mb down, 8mb up and 5ms ping !!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 09-Mar-11 00:18:12
Print Post

Perfect! smile

My sync/IP Profile has never changed.

I find a speed test soon after midnight can be very low - that is the time all the "relatively high" downloaders schedule their starts, but most of the time I'm well over 30Mbps.

The tbb BQM is a great tool if you aren't using it already. Here's a typical one for me. (Today's is missing a lot because the BQM service was borked I'm told you can see re-syncs on it, in which case I haven't had any.

I selected "cable >> other" as the service.

Which way did you set up the Buffalo? GUI wizards, GUI manually, or CD?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 09-Mar-11 00:21:26)

Standard User Intenti0n
(newbie) Wed 09-Mar-11 21:38:53
Print Post

I never normally go for wizard based installations but it just popped up, so I entered in the required details and everything worked.

... until i tried to set the admin password !. I set it and was then prompted to log back in. However, it just would not accept my password. I typed it 20times and even tried combos where I was starting with caps lock on ... in case it was on when i entered in the password originally.

After much hair pulling, I had to chuck in the towel and do a factory reset. This bought everything back online but I had lost the settings. I went to the password screen again and could see what the issue was. The airstation does not allow passwords over 8 chars !!! So even though it accepted my password when I first added it, it much have chopped letters off the end.

Even though I am a bit of a techy, I didnt really get the AOSS / WPS features. I know its related to wireless (i think!) but never really used it. Do you?

I did change the wireless bandwidth to 40mhz so i could connect at 300MBS ... works a treat !

All in all, very happy with it and all thanks to your recommendations smile
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Mar-11 22:00:29
Print Post

I never normally go for wizard based installations but it just popped up, so I entered in the required details and everything worked.

... until i tried to set the admin password !. I set it and was then prompted to log back in. However, it just would not accept my password. I typed it 20times and even tried combos where I was starting with caps lock on ... in case it was on when i entered in the password originally.

After much hair pulling, I had to chuck in the towel and do a factory reset. This bought everything back online but I had lost the settings. I went to the password screen again and could see what the issue was. The airstation does not allow passwords over 8 chars !!! So even though it accepted my password when I first added it, it much have chopped letters off the end.

Even though I am a bit of a techy, I didnt really get the AOSS / WPS features. I know its related to wireless (i think!) but never really used it. Do you?

I did change the wireless bandwidth to 40mhz so i could connect at 300MBS ... works a treat !

All in all, very happy with it and all thanks to your recommendations smile

Just recieved mine today and so far so good, set it up, shed load more config than the Homehub. However I`m not connecting at 300Mbps ?? Is that a wireless card limitation? Currently getting 65Mbps from one laptop and 135Mbps from the other. Also have the blackberry connected but not sure at what speed?? Does it carve up the speeds to suit or should all connect at 300Mbps assuming they are compatible?

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 09-Mar-11 22:24:51
Print Post

I agree with you about wizards - generally almost but not quite as bad as supplied CDs. But I was in a rush at the time, with the engineer wanting to be on his way, so tried it. Amazing! Worked a treat.

What a daft restriction these days re the password. On the other hand should be safe enough, and given the rest of it, smile.

Re auto setup of wireless again I prefer to do manual settings, as that's the best way to understand what is going on. That helps a lot when trying to diagnose a problem. However for some reason, possibly to do with the length and impressiveness of the default pass key, or maybe because I thought it might do better than me in view of the main setup wizard, I gave it a whirl.

The WPS seems from the Help to be an industry standard. The AOSS something to optimise wireless when used with a Buffalo receiver (dongle or card) at the computer end. So I pressed the button and clicked the WPS screen one and bingo.

Darn thing told me my laptop can't do 40Mhz or two-channel frown. Stuck at 130Mbps max.

I bet if you are honest, like me you didn't really expect it to be much good. Perhaps acceptable at the price. But it really is top-notch so far? Even if it burns itself to death in a couple of years you can get four for £100! Is that GUI and its facilities good, or what?

Makes you wonder what the high prices of all the others are all about.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 09-Mar-11 22:41:51
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

Try each one individually, with the others turned off, in the same room as it, and what do you get then for each?

Differences should be down to the receiver.

Note the 2-channel and 40Mhz options, and my reply to the OP. I get 130Mbps best, and my Nokia N900 seems to fly compared to what it did with a 54Mbps Netgear 834PN.

What do you think of the rest of it?

Standard User Intenti0n
(newbie) Wed 09-Mar-11 23:32:23
Print Post

I had to google it myself mate as I was sure that I should be connecting higher than 130mb.

Firstly I checked to make sure my laptop had a "n" wireless card.

I then went to Wireless config - Basic(11n/g/b) and changed the 300mbs mode band width to 40MHz (from 20MHz).

I also changed the wireless channel from auto to 6 and then chose the extension channel as 10 .... I don't think this is required but just wanted to share exactly what I did.

So now on my laptop, i see connected speed as 300mbs, obviously it does move up and down but generally over 200mbs.

good luck
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 10-Mar-11 05:48:08
Print Post

aye its a bit weird, I`ll play around later as got work to go to now smile I`ve set it to 40mhz option but still strange. The wifes laptop has actually dropped in speed as its went down to 65Mbps and its sitting right next to it. The router itself is tiny, its been bought for two jobs actually, was going to use it as a wireless bridge for the eldest lads PC but meantime I`ll use it service the house in the vain hope that BT get their fingers out their @rse.

Regards

MrG

Standard User D_an_W
(member) Thu 10-Mar-11 06:32:04
Print Post

I use the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station and I LOVE IT!!!

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Mar-11 08:08:39
Print Post

I also changed the wireless channel from auto to 6 and then chose the extension channel as 10 .... I don't think this is required but just wanted to share exactly what I did.

It means you're now using both channels. If you're in a wirelessly crowdeded area, you've got more chance of interference from others people.

Use inSSIDer to see graphically what is going on. N dual channel isn't "fair" to neighbours smile

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 10-Mar-11 08:57:59
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Surely it means if one channel gets interference the other stands a chance of compensating?

Edit - found this.

The way I read it, you could be right about slight unfairness, but the interference effect is to (at worst) knock out one channel that may still run at 130Mbps. 130 > 54?

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 10-Mar-11 09:08:57)

Standard User Icemansin
(member) Thu 10-Mar-11 12:46:08
Print Post

btw, for people that don't want to click the speed link, its basically 37mb down, 8mb up and 5ms ping !!

Do you know approximately how far you are from your local street cabinet?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 10-Mar-11 16:00:22
Print Post

[re: Icemansin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Icemansin:
Do you know approximately how far you are from your local street cabinet?
FWIW I'm 500-600m and get full sync - 39992/10000.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Mar-11 20:21:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Surely it means if one channel gets interference the other stands a chance of compensating?

Yes - but you potentially take out a channel a neighbour could be using for G, with your attempt to get faster speeds.

Its an issue to me as I'm in a block of flats. I've had WiFi since 2002, and in 2008 I started seeing other networks appear, and there are now almost a dozen. Many are overlapping. Performance of my single channel N connection was equal to wired - on my work laptop (Intel 5100 wireless) which states "65meg" most of the time. However I'm now seeing lots of interference causing retries so data rates over wireless at 4meg.

Dual channel doesn't help this. The old 802.11a band at 5.4ghz does help, if all equipment is compatible. Many routers offer 2.4 or 5.4 switchable - what we need is both for legacy devices and new devices to interoperate, so that handheld devices that aren't N compatible don't interfere with equipment that is.

The way I read it, you could be right about slight unfairness, but the interference effect is to (at worst) knock out one channel that may still run at 130Mbps. 130 > 54?

Its only "unfair" if you're using two channels in a road / block where channels are in demand. If you're in an open area you should be fine. inSSIDer is the friend here smile

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User Icemansin
(member) Fri 11-Mar-11 08:53:06
Print Post

FWIW I'm 500-600m and get full sync - 39992/10000.

Thanks for the info, from my rough estimates (using google pedometer) I am roughly 300-400m from my nearest street cabinet (at the top of the road), so I am hoping that once FTTC is enabled in my area that I would get the full sync speed...
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Mar-11 08:40:24
Print Post

more to it than that am afraid I measured the distance from my house to my cab, using my bike GPS ( yes not totally accurate granted ). It was coming in at 300m approx and I don`t get full sync, so it may take a long winded ( likely) or just poor quality cabling? Sync at 31Mb and 8mb. On ADSL2+ it was about 13Mb and 1.3Mb. What does the BT checker come in with as its pretty much on the button for me.

Regards

MrG

Standard User Zadeks
(member) Sat 12-Mar-11 09:47:46
Print Post

Sounds like you have a poor line.
Standard User mrnelster
(member) Sat 12-Mar-11 10:31:52
Print Post

.......I don`t get full sync, so it may take a long winded ( likely).......

I agree. Look up the postcode MK8 0EN on google maps. The cab is on the westward side by the entrance to Hendrix drive. Opposite is a crescent named Cruickshank Drive. It was once a dead end. That part of the crescent was built 15 years after the original entrance at the other end.

The BT engineers at the cab told me it wasn't ducted across the road and that when the Drive was changed to a Crescent, it was most likely extendedfrom the "original" end of Cruickshank.

If they are correct you can see how people would naturally assume they are 25m away from their cab, when in reality they could be 750!

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.
Standard User Icemansin
(member) Sat 12-Mar-11 15:19:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrGrumpy:
more to it than that am afraid I measured the distance from my house to my cab, using my bike GPS ( yes not totally accurate granted ). It was coming in at 300m approx and I don`t get full sync, so it may take a long winded ( likely) or just poor quality cabling? Sync at 31Mb and 8mb. On ADSL2+ it was about 13Mb and 1.3Mb. What does the BT checker come in with as its pretty much on the button for me.

Hrmm, yeah i know its not an exact science, currently on my ADSL2+ connection, I synch at 11Mb/1.3Mb.

When I checked the estimated results last week (has disappeared now and says its not currently scheduled to be rolled out in my area) it was 34Mb/9Mb, but everyone says these estimates are quite conservative?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Mar-11 18:23:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Icemansin:
When I checked the estimated results last week (has disappeared now and says its not currently scheduled to be rolled out in my area) it was 34Mb/9Mb, but everyone says these estimates are quite conservative?
That sounds as though it is imminent.

Mine (still) says
"Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 28.9Mbps and upstream line speed of 6.4Mbps."

Test just now
My Broadband Speed Test or in numbers
12/03/11 18:14 Sat 36547 Kbps 8315 Kbps Home Starter Fibre

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to