General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Mar-11 00:10:43
Print Post

Re: Got FTTC? How is the master socket configured?

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Roberto, you're more-or-less correct in your assessment. What Zarjaz is suggesting is also in line with my ideas on this, though I definitely don't agree that BT technicians are there to drill holes in walls, as their time is limited. There are specific practical difficulties in doing so in my case, requiring careful and lengthy work, certainly needing much longer than an hour to be spent on it. So, this is something I'm personally not going to let a BT technician loose on, I'm afraid.

I've now drawn out schematics of the two possible setups I could have. In one, the VDSL modem would be situated next to the master socket, and the PPPoE router would be in the computer room, connected to the modem via appropriate Cat5e cable, patchleads and RJ45 sockets. The existing BT extension at the back of the master socket and which, at that point, passes right through the wall into the next room would continue to feed a BT slave socket in the computer room with Phone no.2 (as exists now). Phone no.1 would be plugged into the new master socket (new NTE5). I'm assuming that NTE5s themselves contain filters but I have to confess I don't know if that's the case at all. By filter, I mean a proper resistive/inductive/capacitive combination, I don't mean a Ringwire disconnect. At present I use plug-in external filters for the two phones and they work extremely well on my ADSL connection.

The other schematic is where only one phone, rather than two, are connectable to the system. The one phone would be plugged into the master socket. I'd remove the existing hard-wired BT extension cable from the back of the master socket and also at its slave socket termination in the computer room and I'd replace it by a hard-wired Cat5e cable, terminating it in the computer room in an RJ45 socket. The VDSL modem and the router would then be positioned together, by that termination, in the computer room.

There'd be some advantages in having the VDSL modem and router together but, in my particular setup, a disadvantage would be that I'd lose the second phone, unless I were to run a new line through the two rooms again, with all the respective sockets that that'd require (and more drilling, etc).

So, I think I have only two basic queries remaining: (i) is there any filtering provided INSIDE the NTE5 for one or more phones, and (ii) what's the nature of the connection from the master socket to the VDSL modem? Is it an RJ11-to-RJ45 patchlead, with the RJ11 being at the master socket end?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 12-Mar-11 09:36:51
Print Post

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

From what i understand, yes its internally filtered. and the vdsl connection on the front is just a standard rj45 ethernet connection.
Standard User Squirrel
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Mar-11 10:45:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by meditator:
What Zarjaz is suggesting is also in line with my ideas on this, though I definitely don't agree that BT technicians are there to drill holes in walls, as their time is limited.

I believe from reading other posts, but of course I could well be wrong, that Zarjaz is a BT ADSL/VDSL installations "technician" so if he says that BT will drill holes then who am I to disagree. In fact, when my original ADSL extension was fitted in 2001 the the BT chap did indeed drill several holes and did a blooming good job to be honest.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Mar-11 15:58:36
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Okay, let's assume then that the master socket (new NTE5) has a filtered output on its faceplate for a phone. Do you reckon that that filter also filters the IDC phone extension connections at the back of it? If so, it'd mean I couldn't use the rear connections to continue the unfiltered FTTC line to the computer room.

So if I implement my described arrangement where both the modem and the router are located in the computer room, I think I'll probably need only a standard NTE5, ie. I won't need one with both a phone outlet AND an RJ45 outlet on the faceplate. But, as I say, the rear set of connections on it will need to be unfiltered, because I'll be using the new NTE5 to pass on the FTTC line to the modem in the computer room. Is that how a standard NTE5 is organised? And will I need to ask the technician for an i-Plate to be used, to disconnect the Bell wire?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Mar-11 16:25:30
Print Post

(Edit - composed and posted before I had seen your latest post).

smile
I don't think you are reading some replies in quite the detail that you expect us to read and understand yours. It has been said, quite categorically, by myself and others that there are two sockets on the new faceplate. One is (an unfiltered one) for the VDSL connection, a standard ADSL type cable. (This is supplied with the modem by Openreach). The other is a filtered socket for the phone.

That's all the new faceplate is. In fact it isn't even necessary! Any filtered faceplate such as the ADSL Nation XTE-2005 or Solwise and Clarity equivalents would do the job, as would your existing dangle filter. Just that with the FTTC engineer install they fit theirs, as they have to guarantee the result.

Your existing extension to the computer room will continue to work fine. So will the phone near the master.

I suggest an experiment, after the engineer has left, as unless you go for Infinity you will be supplying your own router and getting that connected isn't technically within his remit.

Get an XTE-2005 faceplate, have it ready. Remove the Openreach VDSL facpelate and fit the XTE-2005, but instead of attaching the extension cable to the T2 and T5 IDCs connect them to the unfiltered A/B ADSL ones.

Bingo! The modem can now be moved to the computer room and be connected either with a dangly filter to the existing socket, or you can replace the faceplate on that with an ADSL Nation XTF68 or XTF85, depending on the size of your existing box.

There is another scenario that I touched on in my earlier post, but that would muddy the waters at the moment. Let's see what you think of this idea for now smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 12-Mar-11 16:27:33)

Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Mar-11 22:21:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry, Roberto, perhaps I should have published my diagrams here. That would have helped explain. You and others did nevertheless understand my textual description. As for me not apparently reading your own description properly, well, I did. It's just that I was under the impression (rightly or wrongly), from other topics in the Fibre Broadband forum, that other slightly different NTE5s were now offered by BT and so I was rather hoping BT would be able to supply and fit me with one that had just a phone socket on the faceplate but with also unfiltered extension terminals at the back. Seems I misunderstood that, though.

Yes, your suggestion about using an XTE-2005 on the new NTE5 and of possibly also using an XTF85 at the wall connection in my computer room is a jolly good idea. I have to confess I've got out of touch with what ADSL Nation and Clarity offer these days. I'd intended using just an RJ45 socket on the wall in the computer room, partly because that would give me more flexibility as to where, in relation to it, I could site the modem and router (long RJ45 patchleads being more plentiful and easy to get than RJ11-to-RJ45 or RJ11-to-RJ11 leads), but I may now fit an XTF85 there instead, as that'd allow me to still connect a second phone in the house.

Both the XTE-2005 and the XTF85 will come with the modem socket outlet labelled "ADSL", which strictly won't be the case any longer, once I get FTTC, but I don't suppose it matters.

It's a pity BT aren't more geared up to providing a better selection of master sockets and generally being a bit more flexible, as not everyone will want the modem plonked right next to their master socket. After all, many master sockets are traditionally and now rather inappropriately situated in hallways and places by the front door. Mine's right in my living room - convenient for using the phone but not an appropriate place for a modem or any other permanently-installed computer gear, especially as my place is a bungalow and the rooms are small.
Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Sat 12-Mar-11 22:35:03
Print Post

righty, you have all made this sound really difficult.

the modem does not need to be next to the nte, we are able to supply and fit data extension kits which allow the modem to be fitted upto 30m from the nte.

so, if you want to be ahead of the game heres what you need to do.....

run a cat5 or 6 from your existing nte to the room where you currently have your adsl modem, on the end at the nte terminate an rj45 plug, and at the router end simply leave a coil of cable.

speak nicely to the engineer and explain you have already ran a data extension cable from socket to router and if he would terminate a socket on it that would be great, unless he is overly awkward he will do it as it saves precious time, the one thing we dont have enough off.

the only thing to be aware of is openreach will not gaurantee your personally run data extension.

easy peasy

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Mar-11 22:47:35
Print Post

smile
The option I mentioned but deliberately side-stepped is that the VDSL faceplate may be one of the newer ones, with internal unfiltered connectors available aka the XTE-2005. Especially considering you won't be ordering for a while.

If so, given a good enough existing cable then the engineer may happily connect that to those. Achieving exactly the same outcome as my XTE-2005/XTF85 solution.

The option I would otherwise aim for in your situation would still be the squirrel one, but IIRC you weren't too keen on that. It also needs the engineer at the time to consider the cable between the two rooms to be suitable. That way the current master becomes an extension with just a phone socket, and the new NTE5 plus VDSL faceplate for modem and phone goes in the computer room.

The trouble is the more we discuss hypothetical setups the more confusing it gets, as there is no perfect hassle-free solution. We started from your wanting to have the wiring all pre-sorted, and now we are discussing possibly changing things after installation and needing to do rapid and successful connection changes.

But at least I think you are now aware of the issues, and what is feasible.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 12-Mar-11 22:48:12)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Mar-11 22:51:52
Print Post

[re: andyboygsi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andyboygsi:
righty, you have all made this sound really difficult....
Already been suggested and discussed!

The latest discussion is to make use of the existing cable if it is suitable.

What we haven't done is ask the OP exactly what specification and quality that is smile.

Standard User stevepressman
(learned) Sun 13-Mar-11 01:14:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry if I am hijacking this but I am confused about one thing regarding the new socket the BT Engineer will fit.

My socket at the moment currently sits in my hallway, my PC set up is in the lounge approx 3.5 metres from the socket. Am I correct in assuming that if I ask the BT Engineer he will move the socket to where I really need it in my lounge next to where the PC and phone reside. As I currently run an extension cable and it would be nicer if that could be done. This would be the ideal solution for me, who has there PC and phone in their hallways ???

Oh yes can anybody tell me the approx length of the cable that the Modem comes with ?

Regards

Steve
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to