General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 24-Aug-11 14:41:26
Print Post

Re: Some speedtest results for your use

[re: Arceon] [link to this post]

The BRAS is correct, 38717 is the highest profile. So it is purely the internal AAISP cap you need to get sorted. Loads of people get a lot more than 35Mbps actual download.

Just one thing - for this purpose, before making a lot of noise make sure you have tried wired to the router, not wireless, and that the speed is still low. The upload isn't brilliant either. Should be 8000+, so make sure it isn't your end.

But that 35 looks suspicious.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Arceon
(newbie) Wed 24-Aug-11 15:44:02
Print Post

[re: colesy10] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by colesy10:
If you access Clueless, what does it tell you your BRAS rate is there? (usually on the 1st graph next to your telephone number).
If it states 35M then it has been capped, but give A&A a call and the will manually set it.

Yea it's 35.0M. It's currently pending a change (turning interleaving off) but as soon as that's done I'll get onto them about it, cheers.

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Just one thing - for this purpose, before making a lot of noise make sure you have tried wired to the router, not wireless, and that the speed is still low. The upload isn't brilliant either. Should be 8000+, so make sure it isn't your end.

The test was done from my server which is wired in, so that shouldn't be an issue, but you're right that upload does seem low, i'll ask about that too.

Andrews & Arnold - FTTC Premium - Billion 7800N
Standard User colesy10
(regular) Wed 24-Aug-11 15:52:11
Print Post

Mine was capped at 32M by clueless following my migration, but A&A staff quickly adjusted that, and speeds increased immediately.
Did you request interleaving to be turned off via clueless or did you ask staff to do it? Only asking as I don't think the automated system works on FTTC, but would be interested to know how you get on.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Arceon
(newbie) Wed 24-Aug-11 15:55:34
Print Post

Ah. I did it via Clueless, how long should it normally take? Requested it at around 15:00 yesterday but it's not gone through yet.

Standard User colesy10
(regular) Wed 24-Aug-11 16:06:30
Print Post

Not sure as I don't believe it will work on the FTTC, so may be permanently ongoing. The best bet would be to give them a ring, and I know it's not easy for them to get interleaving turned off on FTTC though.
Again I would be interested on how you get on with it.
Standard User Arceon
(newbie) Wed 24-Aug-11 16:55:39
Print Post

Just spoke to support and you're right, it's not possible to turn off interleaving on FTTC at customer request, only via a fault being raised with OR. However the change should go through on Clueless, it will just have no effect.

As for the BRAS profile of 35.0M, it is a valid profile, and the "Not Valid for FTTC" error message I had was direct from BTs system (their system being in error).

As for the speeds being slow, I should probably run a few more speedtests throughout the day im guessing, as the speeds seems to fluctuate (I get 37.2 Down and 8.20 Up on Speedtest.net). Is there a training period with FTTC?

Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Wed 24-Aug-11 18:32:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Arceon:
as the speeds seems to fluctuate (I get 37.2 Down and 8.20 Up on Speedtest.net).

That is pretty close to the top end speeds that you'll see reported for a 40/10 connection (with 38717/10000 profile)

In reply to a post by Arceon:
Is there a training period with FTTC?

Yes. My line synced at 40/2 (with 38717/2000 profile) at first, but with 4% packet loss. After 48 hours, this changed by adding interleaving, and dropping the profiles to 34800/2000 (presumably by lowering the sync speed), which killed off the packet loss.

A day later, I was regraded to a 10Mb uplink: The line reverted to a 40/10 sync (with 38717/10000) profile, and back came the packet loss. Again, after 48 hours, interleaving came back on, and sync speeds reduced.

So a 48 hour training period looks to be the thing...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 24-Aug-11 19:09:15
Print Post

Speedtest.net is known to be dodgy, often reporting speeds above what is possible. Especially if you have Kaspersky or Avira Internet security.

If AAISP have an internal IP Profile of 35Mbps on your connection, then you cannot get above that - period! I would also dispute the earlier statement that 35Mbps is a valid profile, particularly in your case. Your IP Profile is a BT Openreach figure, and any ISP internal copy of it should not be different for anything longer than their "update interval" for their copy.

Your IP Profile is 38717. Anything substantially different from that is highly questionable. There is certainly no blanket 35Mbps limit on BT Infinity, IDNet or Plusnet, and I'm fairly sure not on ADSL24, vivaciti, uno/xilo and probably most other suppliers.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User mr_bean
(regular) Wed 24-Aug-11 20:49:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If AAISP have an internal IP Profile of 35Mbps on your connection, then you cannot get above that - period! I would also dispute the earlier statement that 35Mbps is a valid profile, particularly in your case. Your IP Profile is a BT Openreach figure, and any ISP internal copy of it should not be different for anything longer than their "update interval" for their copy.
When this happened to me A&A blamed it on misreporting by the BT systems. If you ask they can set manually to 38Mb/s although it took a couple of emails to get the point through about the BT IP profile. To be fair I misinterpreted some of the things they said but once we'd got over the period of mutual misunderstanding the profile was raised and has been fine since.

"Not valid for FTTC" is the error returned by the BT systems for any attempt to set the DLM characteristics (interleave, target SNRM etc) for the line using the ISP's control interface - these can't be changed on FTTC lines (I suspect this is operational policy rather than for any technical reason).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 24-Aug-11 22:34:23
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mr_bean:
When this happened to me A&A blamed it on misreporting by the BT systems. If you ask they can set manually to 38Mb/s although it took a couple of emails to get the point through about the BT IP profile. To be fair I misinterpreted some of the things they said but once we'd got over the period of mutual misunderstanding the profile was raised and has been fine since.

"Not valid for FTTC" is the error returned by the BT systems for any attempt to set the DLM characteristics (interleave, target SNRM etc) for the line using the ISP's control interface - these can't be changed on FTTC lines (I suspect this is operational policy rather than for any technical reason).
That makes excellent sense.

Your first paragraph means AAISP have (strangely) got hold of the wrong end of some stick or other. As seemed apparent.

Your second paragraph I think is easier to explain, as I believe is technical rather than operational as you think.

The AAISP (any ISP) control interface will be into the BT Wholesale systems, affecting BT Wholesale MSANs/DSLAMs and the BT Wholesale DLM. But FTTC runs on BT Openreach DSLAMs in the cabinets, under an Openreach DLM.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to