General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User colesy10
(regular) Thu 25-Aug-11 07:58:54
Print Post

Re: Some speedtest results for your use

[re: Arceon] [link to this post]

Give them another ring and ask them to increase the BRAS to 38M or even 39M on Clueless.
Like I say when mine was on 32M, and then changed to 39M I saw an instant jump from the capped speed. Your speedtest result looks pretty ok to me though, not drastically wrong.
Even if it is for your own piece of mind, and not having a major affect throughput in your case then at least you know everything will be set to how it's supposed to.

The interleaving issue is what bugs me though. I see a fair few requests about it from customers on various FTTC isps, and it certainly doesn't seem easy to get it turned off, even if the BT openreach modem fails. (although as I understand it, it should just take a call from an engineer to the correct people/department).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 25-Aug-11 08:43:41
Print Post

[re: colesy10] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by colesy10:
The interleaving issue is what bugs me though. I see a fair few requests about it from customers on various FTTC isps, and it certainly doesn't seem easy to get it turned off, even if the BT openreach modem fails. (although as I understand it, it should just take a call from an engineer to the correct people/department).
This too is very strange.

Several people on FTTC with the tbbBQM running can clearly see interleaving automatically turning on and off quite freqently. The two I can recall immediately are myself, (but only one occurrence), and BillFord who used to report it regularly, both on IDNet, but there have been others - ISPs I don't remember.

So maybe this again is under ISP control at order time? With some choosing Auto and some On, or even Off. I can understand why switching later from On to Auto or Off may be less straightforward.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Arceon
(newbie) Thu 25-Aug-11 09:16:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Several people on FTTC with the tbbBQM running can clearly see interleaving automatically turning on and off quite freqently. The two I can recall immediately are myself, (but only one occurrence), and BillFord who used to report it regularly, both on IDNet, but there have been others - ISPs I don't remember.

So maybe this again is under ISP control at order time? With some choosing Auto and some On, or even Off. I can understand why switching later from On to Auto or Off may be less straightforward.

I know mine was set to "Auto" before I requested the change, but I can't honestly say I ever saw it switch on or off, it seemed to be just "On".

In reply to a post by colesy10:
Give them another ring and ask them to increase the BRAS to 38M or even 39M on Clueless.
Like I say when mine was on 32M, and then changed to 39M I saw an instant jump from the capped speed. Your speedtest result looks pretty ok to me though, not drastically wrong.
Even if it is for your own piece of mind, and not having a major affect throughput in your case then at least you know everything will be set to how it's supposed to.

I will do thanks. I spoke to someone on IRC about it but they just seemed to think the 35M was normal, which is what threw me a bit and made me decide against asking them to up it, I mean surely they must realise that a 35M cap on a 40M line isn't right?

I'll ask them to do it sometime soon, but like you say it's more for my own piece of mind than needing the extra speed (I upgraded from 8Meg heh).

Andrews & Arnold - FTTC Premium - Billion 7800N

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to