General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lexden16
(newbie) Tue 19-Apr-11 16:05:17
Print Post

Re: How to get a Fritz!Box 7390 working as a VDSL modem

[re: Quark999] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Quark999:
I think it's a bit unfair to expect the router to interpret these numbers for you, it's precisely the reason why most entry-level routers hide these values from you to begin with - if you don't know about them, you can't ask about an interpretation of them.

Those are similar numbers and statistics available from most "open" routers, so what you need is an "idiot's guide" to ADSL and not this router in particular. Unfortunately, I don't know of any, but maybe other people on here can help. I know that a "certain" amount of errors (and I believe even of "irrecoverable" errors) is normal, and the definition of what a "certain" amount is has never been established.

Sounds to me like a problem with your wiring and/or the ring wire. That obviously reflects in the stats one way or another, but they will never be able to tell you the *exact* problem...

I have been there and done that. I fitted a filtered faceplate (without connecting the RW) and my CR shot up from 8800 to 11800. I then experienced the phone-related disconnect issue which was resolved with the additional filter. Everything seemed fine until today when the upstream connection speed dropped by 2000. I am not particularly concerned about: I am just trying to understand what my router stats are telling me. The FritzBox context-related help is not much use. Thanks anyway.
Standard User Quark999
(learned) Tue 19-Apr-11 16:28:31
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

Maybe you can try getting some help here by opening a thread about your problem and then posting the figures and behaviour you see? There are some pretty savvy people around here, but they seem to usually jump on connectivity problem subjects, not threads about individual routers.

I've head all kinds of ADSL related problems at the the four addresses I've lived at in the past few years, but problems with dropped sync have usually been down to the line, and the noise profile set by the provider. With Be I could even set that through the web portal and it made a massive difference to speed vs. stability. I'm not sure whether you've tried that stability setting in the Fritz!Box configuration - maybe that makes a difference. But it could be that it can only be tweaked from the ISP's end...
Standard User laughingjohn
(newbie) Tue 19-Apr-11 17:05:16
Print Post

Thank you Quark. Very helpful!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User m00g
(newbie) Wed 20-Apr-11 08:15:59
Print Post

OMG. That's awesome. Great information.

Unfortunately my bank account is going to have to take a hit on this one.

Just a n00b question - exactly what modem is inside the Fritz!Box? I could only find that it has an ADSL2 modem (a VDSL modem is not listed in the specs on the Australian site).

Edited by m00g (Wed 20-Apr-11 19:30:00)

Standard User colesy10
(learned) Wed 20-Apr-11 12:38:24
Print Post

I have ordered my 7390 this morning, so hopefully arrive tomorrow.
I will then set it up using Quarks instructions tomorrow evening and post my stats for comparison.
When I had my fttc install I took a photo of the engineers EXFO unit and it does indicate that my max bitrate is 59673kbps down, and 19004kpbs up.
The SNR margin was 12.8dB down, and 19.4dB up.

So will be interesting to see what, if anything has changed.
Standard User Quark999
(learned) Wed 20-Apr-11 13:55:47
Print Post

[re: colesy10] [link to this post]

Let us know how it goes. I took a picture of my engineer's thingy as well, and it showed 39999/9999. I assumed it was capped, but yours doesn't seem to be - mine was an AXS-200/635, but maybe it was on a different "tab" and I didn't see the values you would have seen...
Standard User colesy10
(learned) Wed 20-Apr-11 14:37:55
Print Post

Same device as used by my engineer. The figures I quoted did come from the Line Stats tab, which is the second tab. The Test Summary tab did show the 9999kbps etc as yours.
Standard User Quark999
(learned) Wed 20-Apr-11 14:51:08
Print Post

Damn it. I should have fiddled with it while he went to the living room to call his colleague about this strange Non-Openreach router of mine smile
Standard User colesy10
(regular) Wed 20-Apr-11 16:04:15
Print Post

I won't even tell you what's on the third tab you missed then tongue
Standard User Quark999
(learned) Wed 20-Apr-11 16:11:45
Print Post

A Pot of gold? laugh

Damn, "DSL Params", sounds intriguing?
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to