General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User colesy10
(regular) Fri 17-Feb-12 09:37:48
Print Post

Re: How to get a Fritz!Box 7390 working as a VDSL modem

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

You have the right idea yes, and when I said DSL port I mean the DSL port and not the Lan1.

Edited by colesy10 (Fri 17-Feb-12 09:38:13)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 17-Feb-12 18:27:43
Print Post

[re: colesy10] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by colesy10:
You have the right idea yes, and when I said DSL port I mean the DSL port and not the Lan1.

Ok thanks, I might see how flexible the engineer is about me trying the fritzbox at infinity set up, I am just thinking out loud here but if the change my socket to the infinity face plate and do the set up in the cab down the road while they do what ever scan on the line they do would they object to me asking to set up myself the fritz as its a few clicks in the ui and it's set so if it works hen no harm no foul. If it does not sync as expected then let the hook up the openreach modem and then use he fritz as the router only ( not the HH3)....out of throughness of I was to use the fritz as the router how does that change the set up wire wise and in the ui...would I have to use lan1 in that case and is the router now set as a cable not dsl then...sorry just covering all the bases. Got one more about the split cable will it work in the phone and data socket of infinity as I do have a fritz mtf phone so would be curious if the split cable works in the same way as now...phone and dsl in the fritzbox as a single wire as I would ideally like the split cable in the phone and infinity sockets and get he fritz to be the router and modem while still having phone use on landline as it is now... Thanks again for the info just a but nervous about the switch as I am long term adsl user taking a new plunge
Standard User Quark999
(regular) Mon 20-Feb-12 17:27:11
Print Post

My suggestion would be not to mention the Fritz!Box at all and just let them do their thing. They can get mightily confused by having anything other than the OpenReach modem, and you're not really getting anything out of having it on there during install - if it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. In either case they won't help you with it...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Feb-12 19:06:42
Print Post

[re: Quark999] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Quark999:
My suggestion would be not to mention the Fritz!Box at all and just let them do their thing. They can get mightily confused by having anything other than the OpenReach modem, and you're not really getting anything out of having it on there during install - if it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. In either case they won't help you with it...

Good advice - If the OP doesn't use the OR modem, its likely OR reserve the right to discontinue your service - so it would be a good thing to have the modem in case an OR engineer visited smile

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User MJEdmunds
(newbie) Mon 27-Feb-12 17:03:13
Print Post

Thanks everyone for this thread.

After a year on FTTC; Plus Net notified an upgrade to the Openreach Huawei VDSL modem.

This seemed a good opportunity to try again with the 7390's VDSL modem.
Firmware updated to 84.05.06;
Set:
Internet connection via DSL
VPI=1; VCI=32;
and the newly available parameter VLAN-ID=101.

Openreach Engineer arrived with modem 22/2/12
- "the old ones had some components that got hot under heavy load and caused sync problems - so Openreach are sending them back to the manufacturer"
He and I tested both the new Huawei modem and the 7390 VDSL modem.
Both synced DSL and both worked OK - so the 7390 was left connected.
The Engineer said " I'm a poles and holes man - this jobs's more comfortable" as he declined coffee and drove off to Edmonton stores for 70 more modems.

The 7390 VDSL modem has now held DSL sync > 100 hours.
Current throughput 39992/10000
Attainable throughput 71928/28945 Kbit/sec between modem and cabinet.

Immediately after the 7390 was connected, thinkbroadband speed test gave 38000/9000, stable over 3 tests.

Next morning, 23/2/12 at 04:50 the exchange forced a disconnection and re-sync.
Since then thinkbroadband speedtest and the 7390 online monitor show an upstream cap at ~4300 Kbit/s.

That's still nice but for the past year it's usually been > 8000.

Plus.Net say "Wait 72 hours" and then suggest using
http://www.speedtester.bt.com
which reports
Download speedachieved during the test was - 35 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is - 38.71 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 9.18Mbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

This is roughly the same as the DSL speed as monitored by the 7390
- speedtester.bt would seem to test the link from exchange to modem - not from the ISP backhaul.

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer...
reports:
Estimated line speed:
Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
20 Mb

Not sure what this means?

Either Openreach or Plus.Net have set a cap on the up-link, possibly since the DSL re-sync 18 hours after the modem was swapped.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Mon 27-Feb-12 17:12:14
Print Post

[re: MJEdmunds] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MJEdmunds:
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer...
reports:
Estimated line speed:
Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
20 Mb

Not sure what this means?

The 20Mb on the Plusnet profile is a special value that should mean you get full speed, so I wouldn't worry about that. I was instrumental in establishing that fact!

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 28-Feb-12 22:23:07
Print Post

Finally got fttc Installed and FB7390 up and running well after a few initial teething issues but it seems good one thing jam unsure of is which annex to use for BT vdsl2 A or B as I have read many options but am not really clear which is best for BT infinity....for example one person says Adsl is annex A but Vdsl is B so if anyone with knowledge about what is the right Annex and why could enlighten me it would be great, besides I am not sure what the impact is upstream and downstream would be on my line if I was on the wrong annex.
Thanks
Standard User asbokid
(regular) Wed 29-Feb-12 02:15:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
unsure of is which Annex to use for BT VDSL2 A or B

ITU-T G.993.2 Annex A defines the VDSL2 bandplan and PSD mask specs for Region A (North America)
ITU-T G.993.2 Annex B defines the VDSL2 bandplan and PSD mask specs for Region B (Europe including Blighty)

See p.202 onwards in http://www.home.surewest.net/hyoung/T-REC-G.993.2-20...

cheers, a

Edited by asbokid (Wed 29-Feb-12 02:16:57)

Standard User colesy10
(regular) Wed 29-Feb-12 10:41:21
Print Post

As asbokid says, use Annex B. Using annex A halved my upload speed as I mentioned several posts up.

Be careful about making too many changes, the modem may reset and too many resets can cause the DLM to kick in.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 29-Feb-12 15:26:31
Print Post

[re: colesy10] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by colesy10:
As asbokid says, use Annex B. Using annex A halved my upload speed as I mentioned several posts up.

Be careful about making too many changes, the modem may reset and too many resets can cause the DLM to kick in.

Did not think there was a 10 day period now I am screwed as the engineer even said it was not that big a deal for modem to be reset or unplugged ( is only day one training but more than 7 resyncs due to router and wire faffing about)so I could get wires down right so there goes my profile still high at 38.7 but downloads seem to be slow at the moment compared to the speed so if I am lowered due to resyncs how long til the line learns I can actually get nearer 40 meg speed not 20-lower 30 's and my upstream is 5-6 of 10 and I dare not swap to annex b yet as I have had way to many resyncs of my own doing due to some bad info I was given....I did test annex b early on but it did not seem different but no way to do it now as I may have fubared my training......is it possible that if the line is lowered that it will go up incrementally over time if it seems stable after a while as I pray that this training will not lock me in to a set speed regardless of how stable the
One is after my unfortunate discons
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to