General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User asbokid
(regular) Thu 01-Mar-12 22:31:21
Print Post

Re: How to get a Fritz!Box 7390 working as a VDSL modem

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

I think you've solved the confusion, which I'm afraid I have added to:

I am confused since you appear to say that Annex B Plan A is the same as band plan 997, so is the above quote from the document wrong?

Sorry, I accidentally transposed those two. It should have read G998 = Annex B Plan A; G997 = Annex B Plan B

The Openreach VDSL2 Profile 8c service uses Annex B Band Plan G997 (aka plan B) - Variant #1,
The Openreach VDSL2 Profile 17a service uses Annex B Band Plan G998 (aka plan A) - Variant #1.

The following is reported by a Huawei HG612 on a Profile 17a VDSL2 service provided by BT Openreach.

Text
# xdslcmd info --show
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY statusStatus: Showtime
Retrain Reason: 0Max: Upstream rate = 24622 Kbps, Downstream rate = 67492 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 10000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 39998 Kbps 
Link Power State: L0Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17aTPS-TC: PTM Mode
Trellis: U:ON /D:ONLine Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime....
# xdslcmd info --pbParamsxdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
 Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207) (1972,2783)DS: (32,859) (1216,1963) (2792,3939)

Those tone numbers can again be multiplied by the carrier spacing (4.3125kHz) to find the band-edge frequencies:

Huawei HG612 (on Profile 17a):
f1 = 32 x 4.3125 = 138 kHz
f2 = 868 x 4.3125 = 3.75 MHz
f3 = 1216 x 4.3125 = 5.20 MHz
f4 = 1972 x 4.3125 = 8.50 MHz
f5 = 2792 x 4.3125 = 12.00 MHz

And those are G998 Band Plan Variant #1 frequencies, which are identical to those in the Annex A band plan for North America!

It's not relevant to the UK, but here are the tone intervals reported by a Broadcom-based Actiontec Q1000H modem on an Annex A (Profile 8a) VDSL2 service provided in the USA by CenturyLink / Qwest.

Text
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (6,31) (882,1193)DS: (41,857) (1218,1959)

Multiplying out again..

f1 = 41 x 4.3125 = 176 kHz
f2 = ~880 x 4.3125 = ~3.75 MHz (wider guard bands used by vendor)
f3 = ~1216 x 4.3125 = 5.20 MHz

So Annex A, which only supports one band plan is not compatible with Profile 8c used by Openreach.

It has been reported that BT Openreach is moving entirely to a G998 band plan. Since G998 and G997 cannot coexist in the same plant because of crosstalk and inter-carrier interference(?), the bandplan switch is presumably taking place at the same time as the DSLAMs are moved to Profile 17a.

At that point, will it matter whether Annex A or Annex B is used? Are the PSD Masks for G998 and G997 any different?

cheers, a
Standard User nateygable
(newbie) Fri 02-Mar-12 00:54:31
Print Post

[re: colesy10] [link to this post]

Thanks for this one!
Standard User jamesall
(newbie) Tue 20-Mar-12 16:05:41
Print Post

[re: nateygable] [link to this post]

Hi All,

I had Infinity installed last week. Once the engineer had left, I configured my Fritz!box 7390 as described in this thread and plugged it in.

The DSL connection came up after a minute or so and then the status of the "internet" went green but I didn't get any message next to the status. I was expecting "connected" or similar.

I was unable to reach anything on the internet so the connection wasn't right. I power cycled the Fritz!box but this made no difference.

Next step was to re-install the BT modem. DSL synch came up immediately. I re-configured the 7390 to use the internet connection on LAN1 and connected it to the BT modem. Again, this did not work - it complained of PPoE login failure.

Re-installed the BT HH3 and connection was re-established straight away.

So, I have double checked the config against that shown within this thread. The DSL line came up so I'm assuming it's related to the username/password.

As described here, I used [email protected] and no password. Actually I also tried a space in the password but this didn't work.

Any suggestions?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 23-Mar-12 21:40:28
Print Post

[re: jamesall] [link to this post]

Just a quick suggestion if you enable ipv6 in account information it seems to sync when using the BT modem for me but not when it was on IPv4 not sure if it's due to the new modems they released....I do use the Fritz as a modem but it is ok on IPv4 with this for me so not sure why it's not working for you....I do have pppoe timeout errors before any resync oddly enough when the Frit is as a modem but not sure why? It's not been as straight forward as some have suggested so its best to check as many links to posts about the fritz to see what you might have wrong in the details of set up if you wish to use as a modem as well.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 23-Mar-12 21:44:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by jamesall:
Hi All,

I had Infinity installed last week. Once the engineer had left, I configured my Fritz!box 7390 as described in this thread and plugged it in.

The DSL connection came up after a minute or so and then the status of the "internet" went green but I didn't get any message next to the status. I was expecting "connected" or similar.

I was unable to reach anything on the internet so the connection wasn't right. I power cycled the Fritz!box but this made no difference.

Next step was to re-install the BT modem. DSL synch came up immediately. I re-configured the 7390 to use the internet connection on LAN1 and connected it to the BT modem. Again, this did not work - it complained of PPoE login failure.

Re-installed the BT HH3 and connection was re-established straight away.

So, I have double checked the config against that shown within this thread. The DSL line came up so I'm assuming it's related to the username/password.

As described here, I used [email protected] and no password. Actually I also tried a space in the password but this didn't work.

Any suggestions?

Also my username was my old still used [email protected]

Pw was what I had with my old BT service and it was even confirmed in an email to use this not [email protected] a blank so it might be you kept old info too if your a legacy bt broadband customer?..
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 25-Mar-12 10:32:08
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Quick Fritz 7390 question if I use the FB as a modem and router in place of the BT infinity modem do I use PPPoA or PPPoE as I have done some checking and the E in PPPoE is Ethernet which I assume is for the HH3 as it Ethernet connected to the modem given by BT however if my FB is directly in the socket as the modem also does it need to mimic the BT modem which might be on PPPoA (VMUX? Or LLC?).....I ask because my FB seems to get 2-3 time out PPPoE errors on resyncs like today when I did DST time adjustment. Is his because I don't actually use PPPoE when the FB is the modem not etherneted to the BT one??
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 25-Mar-12 16:36:50
Print Post

Definitely PPPoE, under 'Account Information' , 'Additional Settings', select 'Maintain Permanently', 'Use VLAN', enter VLAN ID 101, Select 'Set manually' under DSL ATM Settings, leave VPI at '1' and 'VCI at '32' and select 'PPPoE' under Encapsulation.

I get a couple of 'PPPoE Error: Timeout' messages if I resync but it then connects (in about 32 seconds from establishing DSL sync).
Standard User jamesall
(newbie) Mon 26-Mar-12 15:16:29
Print Post

Answering my own question from a few days ago, I was finally able to get it to connect via LAN1 and PPoE. The trick was to set the IP address of the router to 192.168.1.254. I found a post somewhere saying this was required. As soon as I made the change, the PPoE connection came up.

Home Network - Network - Network Settings - IP Addresses.

The next step is to remove the OpenReach modem. A job for another day smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Mar-12 02:27:23
Print Post

I have used the above advice, and also got VDSL working with AAISP as my ISP, not BT.

NB you definitely need to manually set 1/32/PPPoE Encapsulation.
Standard User jamesall
(newbie) Tue 27-Mar-12 10:29:09
Print Post

Tried connecting the Fritzbox directly to the socket, bypassing the OR modem. I made all the relevant config changes and the DSL comes up ok. The PPE connection comes up but I'm not able to pass any traffic to/from the internet.

I see the following messages in the system log, which indicates all is well:

27.03.12 08:55:51 Internet connection established successfully. IP address: <snip>, DNS server: 213.120.234.2 and 62.6.40.178, Gateway: 217.32.144.160, Broadband PoP: bras-red1.dy-B2014010600266
27.03.12 08:52:38 DSL is available (DSL synchronization exists with 39976/10000 kbit/s).
27.03.12 08:52:25 DSL synchronization starting (training).

As soon as I revert back to LAN1 and the OR modem, all works perfectly. No changes made to the username/password.

Very strange ....

A bit worried about unplugging the modem too many times as I've seen posts about BT bumping down the speeds due to detected line issues.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to