General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Apr-11 18:21:13
Print Post

Re: ASIDE: IP Profiles on WBC

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Interesting as to what is going on with your line though. Something pretty dramatic, and highly variable sync speeds to give those results.

I forget the history before FTTC. IIRC it always was unstable?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Apr-11 18:33:24
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
I don't think those values are valid for FTTC
They're not! I was talking about WBC not FTTC, as I warned in my aside.

Sorry if I confused you by hijacking this Fibre thread towards WBC, but it followed on from something said earlier.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 20-Apr-11 18:39:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I forget the history before FTTC. IIRC it always was unstable?
It did tend to wag around a bit, but most of it cleared up when I lost the copper between the cab and the exchange, so probably a noise source somewhere along the way. The line (probably) passed through/near a small industrial estate crazy

FTTC started last August (only 2 other users in the cab), full speed up to early December then I got hit by the dreaded Xmas lights, and dropped to ~33500. Back up to nearly full speed again mid-January, that lasted about 2 weeks then back to mid-33's.

From then on I was geting 2-5 resyncs a week, but always around the same speed. Then about a week ago I had to have a BT engineer out... it was a cab fault, but while he was here he replaced a couple of ageing crimp connections that he didn't like the look of, and I promptly gained about 2Mbps of profile and it hasn't dropped since smile. Currently 35447Kbps.

Never had any indications of line problems though- quiet line test was fine etc. Just goes to show you need to look after all aspects of the line if you want good speeds!

The speeds I'm getting now are compatible with increased take-up, there's 20 or more users in the cab now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM

Edited by billford (Wed 20-Apr-11 18:43:02)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Apr-11 20:00:11
Print Post

Re: Speedtest.net ...

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No, the top sync you see is 40000Kbps. You can see higher sync rates, but this is on an unconfigured port.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to