General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 01-May-11 17:06:55
Print Post

Re: Strange Cabinet

[re: Embraer] [link to this post]

becareful about showing people where u live, not everyone is honist. As for the cab id say its standard as theres loads of them here where i live, the one on my road was replaced after it was hit by a bin wagon reverseing out of a side road that knocked us out for a week and a half with one of this type, if its for fiber as well i carnt comment as where we live hasnt been upgraded yet and might not be altho every street near us (includeing ours) has a box halfway down the street and overhead wires to all propertys so im hopeful when we are annouced that we might be a canadate for the "overhead" fiber that virgin are tryaling (carnt see bt ignoreing something that works for the competishion)
Standard User Embraer
(regular) Sun 01-May-11 17:29:16
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The arrow points to the estate, not the property, don't worry

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, Bye Bye O2 once FTTC arrives on my exchange
Standard User burakkucat
(learned) Sun 01-May-11 19:07:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Embraer:
I shall get my stalking gear on. The engineers on my exchange are a pretty approachable lot - it's a northern thing! The evidence points to a date when I can order but no cab puts doubt in my mind. The footprint that 41 serves is rather large though, so I don't see why it would be slaved

Image One shows the Cab locations, Slater 2 being cab41 and the arrow pointing to my property. As you can see that's a pretty dense series of estates. My estate has been completed since this OS map was produced as you can see from this Google Maps image
I spent a few interesting minutes adjusting the central position and scale of the Google map whilst correlating it to the older OS map. Eventually I located Cab.41 (Slater 2) to the east of St James' Church and therefore your home must be south of Nixon Lane, somewhere in Hedgerows Road. Having resolved the two locations, I have to agree with you that I would not expect Cab.41 to share a fibre cabinet with another PCP. Are you absolutely sure that you are connected through Cab.41 ? Dunkirk 1 on the OS map looks to be closer -- but then again, that may not be significant.

My immediate neighbour had a fibre service (FTTC) installed about three weeks ago. When he told me he was having it, I was somewhat puzzled for I thought I knew the PCP through which we are connected and it is definitely not fibre enabled. It turned out that I was mistaken. Although the cabinet I had assumed was ours is on the obvious direct route to the exchange (due S from us), we are actually served by a PCP in entirely the "wrong" direction (NNW from our location).

EDIT: I've just re-read your second post. So yes, Cab.41 is your PCP.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Edited by burakkucat (Sun 01-May-11 19:14:18)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Embraer
(regular) Sun 01-May-11 19:43:27
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Followed that a little further and found the cabinet on Google Street View, it's sitting there next to one of the old steel cabinets, the picture is 190 Slater Lane looking north west. That little bit of green belt is now a being-built mini housing estate, maybe they're waiting for it's completion before upgrade, or something. Why would they show me being able to get an FTTC speed if the cab hasn't been upgraded yet?

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, Bye Bye O2 once FTTC arrives on my exchange
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 01-May-11 19:58:08
Print Post

They say your line "will support ..." long before the cabinet goes in, as long as one is planned.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User burakkucat
(learned) Sun 01-May-11 20:41:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Embraer:
Followed that a little further and found the cabinet on Google Street View, it's sitting there next to one of the old steel cabinets, the picture is 190 Slater Lane looking north west. That little bit of green belt is now a being-built mini housing estate, maybe they're waiting for it's completion before upgrade, or something. Why would they show me being able to get an FTTC speed if the cab hasn't been upgraded yet?
As I enjoy a spot of sightseeing, I used your directions via Google Street View and saw the pair of cabinets. So what number(s) do they possess? Both of them are just PCP cabs. Perhaps the "contents" of the old cabinet will be transferred to the new one and then the old one's location used for the site of the new fibre cabinet? Who knows?

In summary, you've been told by an OR engineer that you are connected via Cab.41 Looking NW at approx. 190 Slater Lane is the old & new pair of PCPs. Looking SW at approx. 182 Slater Lane is one new PCP. Neither looks like the photograph of Cab.41 that you showed at the start of this thread!

EDIT: I think Bob has the logic spot-on . . . Now why didn't I think of that!

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Edited by burakkucat (Sun 01-May-11 20:45:57)

Standard User Ribble
(regular) Sun 01-May-11 20:58:42
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

I suspect the cabinet @ 182 Slater La is not an Openreach cabinet
Standard User Embraer
(regular) Sun 01-May-11 21:26:57
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

182's Cable, I know that. The larger of the 2 cabs at 190 is the same cab as in my first post, it's just the surroundings that have changed as the greenery has been trimmed back. So it's definitely a replacement standard cab and the FTTC unit has yet to be added

Standard User polemonkey
(newbie) Sun 01-May-11 21:34:45
Print Post

Hi,

all the previous posts seem to offer helpful thoughts on your situation.

Roberto has made a good (true) observation about estimated speeds on planned cabinets. It is normal for speeds to be issued even before the cabinet is installed and commissioned, so long as it's planned.

P.s.

Sorry if you've already thought of this, but:

is their any new backfill (tarmac) leading away from cab 41 to any of the other observed FTTC cabs?

If there is, then this would indicate that the trenches have been dug, ducts laid etc. and following the new tarmac could lead you to the serving FTTC cab.

Just like in the Wizard of Oz smile
Standard User Embraer
(regular) Sun 01-May-11 21:40:34
Print Post

[re: polemonkey] [link to this post]

Nothing obvious, the closest 2 cabs are a good distance away. There ain't no big green cab hiding in the bushes as far as I can tell

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to