General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Mon 02-May-11 23:17:42
Print Post

Re: Strange Cabinet

[re: polemonkey] [link to this post]

They can also take over 6 months to have their power sorted out after installation. Nothing's obvious in this roll-out...

I have heard from someone with FTTC in Cornwall. Their line is definitely wired through a slave cab, where only the master has the FTTC twin.
Standard User burakkucat
(learned) Mon 02-May-11 23:47:42
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I have heard from someone with FTTC in Cornwall. Their line is definitely wired through a slave cab, where only the master has the FTTC twin.
Are you referring to a SCP which, logically, then connects to a PCP and thence to the exchange? If so, that is a different scenario to what has been speculated (above) for what may be used in this case. Different because Cab.41 is a PCP, not a SCP.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Tue 03-May-11 20:35:08
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

I can't say for certain, but they do indeed seem to be talking about a second PCP.

But that depends on what physical aspect an SCP can take. I always assumed they weren't shaped like green cabinets, and were small pole-mount connection points. But if they can be green cabinets, then he could be getting as mixed up as I would.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User polemonkey
(newbie) Tue 03-May-11 20:58:20
Print Post

An SCP would normally be numbered in the format XX/1 in this scenario, that would be 41/1, for example.

The numbering on this cab strongly suggests its a PCP (unless the /1 sticker has peeled off smile )

Sometimes (but rarely) cabs do link through one another (e-sides feeding the 1st cab can be diverted through to another cab via the 1st cab, avoiding underground cable diverts). Both are classed as PCPs in their own right and their numbers are not related, for example, PCP13 may have a 100 pair link to PCP27, further down the road. This just provides flexibility for the planners, because PCP27 might get "busier" than PCP13... but then again it might not.

If this is the case then the the OP would only really find out by asking a local engineer. I say local because they might know off the top of their head without having to look at the recortds etc. etc.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 03-May-11 21:01:24
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

two cabs within 20M of each other up the road both had new ducting put into the same footway box - both had vdsl cab installed - from the no. of houses 1 would probably have done (200 - 300 houses max). So I would say they treat each cab as its own separate job.
Standard User Embraer
(regular) Tue 03-May-11 22:56:13
Print Post

Thanks for that. If the PCP were the other Slater Lane cab how could we expect to get the predicted speeds in the high 20s on the front part of our estate? Look at the distances, we'd be talking well over 1000m

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, Bye Bye O2 once FTTC arrives on my exchange
Standard User Embraer
(regular) Wed 04-May-11 19:18:20
Print Post

[re: Embraer] [link to this post]

Well according to a document linked here - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/3999911-ver... - it shows my postcode PR26 7JQ linked to Leyland Cab 41, so that clears that up, hopefully

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, Bye Bye O2 once FTTC arrives on my exchange
Standard User burakkucat
(learned) Thu 05-May-11 01:05:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I can't say for certain, but they do indeed seem to be talking about a second PCP.

But that depends on what physical aspect an SCP can take. I always assumed they weren't shaped like green cabinets, and were small pole-mount connection points. But if they can be green cabinets, then he could be getting as mixed up as I would.
I understand. smile When thinking back 50 - 55 years, a PXCP (primary cross connection point) was a big cabinet, a SCXP (secondary cross connection point) was a small cabinet and a TXCP (tertiary cross connection point) was an asbestos pillar, often located at the foot of a pole.

As Embraer seems to be willing to keep this thread updated with developments, I guess we may as well watch, read and learn. wink

Standard User burakkucat
(learned) Thu 05-May-11 01:10:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by polemonkey:
An SCP would normally be numbered in the format XX/1 in this scenario, that would be 41/1, for example.

The numbering on this cab strongly suggests its a PCP (unless the /1 sticker has peeled off smile )

Sometimes (but rarely) cabs do link through one another (e-sides feeding the 1st cab can be diverted through to another cab via the 1st cab, avoiding underground cable diverts). Both are classed as PCPs in their own right and their numbers are not related, for example, PCP13 may have a 100 pair link to PCP27, further down the road. This just provides flexibility for the planners, because PCP27 might get "busier" than PCP13... but then again it might not.

If this is the case then the the OP would only really find out by asking a local engineer. I say local because they might know off the top of their head without having to look at the recortds etc. etc.
Thanks for that information, Mr Monkey. It's now tucked away in one of the recesses of my grey coloured wet-ware.

Standard User burakkucat
(learned) Thu 05-May-11 01:26:42
Print Post

[re: Embraer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Embraer:
Well according to a document linked here - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/3999911-ver... - it shows my postcode PR26 7JQ linked to Leyland Cab 41, so that clears that up, hopefully
You got to it before me! tongue

I see --

$ awk -F, '/PR267JQ/ { print $1, $2, $3, $4, $5, $6, $7, $8, $9, $10 }' PCP*.csv
LCLEY LEYLAND PR267JQ {LCLEY}{p41} 0 100 25.54 6b Yes FTTC

Now, what do those fields represent? (Rhetorical question to self.) --

$ grep SAU_ID PCP*.csv
SAU_ID,Name,Postcode,SAU_NODE_ID,Exchange Only Flag,Percent Lines,Uplift,Phase,Deployed,FTTC or FTTP

The interesting (or perhaps crazy) thing is that Field 9 says Yes -- i.e. Deployed.

(From that, I deduce the report was not produced by Carol's computer. "The computer says . . . No.")

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to