General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Embraer
(member) Sun 05-Jun-11 20:56:34
Print Post

Re: Strange Cabinet

[re: Embraer] [link to this post]

Back from holiday after 2 weeks and guess what?? Nothing frown

I realise that the exchanges will generally go online with about 10 cabs live but is it also common for cabs to have a delayed upgrade even if it's expected.

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, Bye Bye O2 once FTTC arrives on my exchange
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Mon 06-Jun-11 01:27:37
Print Post

Some people would give a resounding "Yes" to that.

But even if not *common*, it is certainly often enough. My cab took 3 months longer to get fuctioning, even if it was installed at the same time as others locally. It needed at least 2 more sets of roadworks by the power company toward 2 different lamposts (one across the road; one down the path) before going live.
Standard User Embraer
(member) Tue 07-Jun-11 00:40:35
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Well as of today the exchange is live and people on enabled cabinets can place orders. Still no sign of my cabinet appearing - getting depressed now

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, Bye Bye O2 once FTTC arrives on my exchange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Embraer
(member) Tue 14-Jun-11 10:29:48
Print Post

Little bit frustrating but the Wholesale checker is showing no FTTC provision on my cabinet until the 30th September ie the end of the next quarter. I'm not too surprised though, as there seems to have been no further cabinet works in Leyland since the initial flurry of activity. I think a contributing factor may possibly be that permission to site the cabinet has been delayed because of it's close proximity to the new build mini-estate that is currently going up immediately behind its location. Ho hum, another summer with 750k ADSL Long Line, don't know what I'm missing as I've never seen a really fast connection frown

Standard User Embraer
(member) Thu 18-Aug-11 22:21:16
Print Post

Still drumming one's fingers on the table but a little more accurate info has been provided from within the bowls of OR. A contact I've made whose title puts him well up the OR totem has confirmed an issue with the siting of my FTTC cab and that "we are working with other utilities currently to try and find a better location to position our new cabinet". No progress yet some progress with a confirmed implementation period set between today and year's end. I'm patient as it took me 3 years from ADSL rollout for BT to even look at +60db long lines and I've been bumping along sub-1mb since 2004 so I don't know what I'm missing. My only pet peeve is people constantly complaining about getting "only" 30mb when the checker says they should get 38mb, please have a little consideration for the have-nots, thanks

I'm not willing to post my contact's email address on the forums but will provide it on receipt of PM so long as your issue is ongoing, such as mine, rather than a general enquiry

3 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, Bye Bye O2 once FTTC FINALLY arrives on my exchange
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Sat 20-Aug-11 01:14:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Embraer:
My only pet peeve is people constantly complaining about getting "only" 30mb when the checker says they should get 38mb, please have a little consideration for the have-nots, thanks

What? So people don't have the right to get the best out of their line?

The problem is that anything involving DSL is *always* going to be an unfair technology, and anything involving external communication is going to be subject to external faults and external interference.

Whether an individual's limitation is a matter of the technology, the rollout plans, or an operational fault, doesn't he have a right to pursue BT to get the best?
Standard User Embraer
(member) Mon 22-Aug-11 01:44:54
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

They have every right. It's simply a matter of perspective. I'm sitting here barely able to get 0.5mb and people who don't know how to use all of their bandwidth are moaning about an unused shortfall.

The checker is not the most accurate database and people shouldn't put all of their trust in this holy grail. I am predicted 14.4mb FTTC, my neighbours on either side of me all running from the same cable, but with a different postcode, are predicted 28mb. Explain please, and before you say the cable may route a different way, the geography of my cul-de-sac prevents any other cable possibly being used

Life's unfair, don't I know it smile

3 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule extended by 2 AEs. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, See Ya O2 once FTTC FINALLY arrives from my cab
Standard User Embraer
(member) Tue 18-Oct-11 13:45:45
Print Post

Nothing much to add here other than the fact the local council has refused just about every planned location for the fibre cab

Here's the latest responses from my OR contact

"Spoken to our planner and they have identified two locations one of which requires a wayleave agreement as it crosses private land which may prove to be an issue and the other has been proposed to the highways agency for approval.

If location agreed orders should be able to start getting placed in around 3 months’ time, this is subject to the location receiving approval for the proposed location."

&

"We have proposed another location with the highways which is the final suitable location, the highways agency are reviewing this still currently as they need to assess it based on safety grounds.

These assessments are quite lengthy and can still lead to rejection, so I cannot confirm anything further than I did on my previous mail at this stage."

Damn those council wobbles, can't people just walk in the street to get round my cab? smile

3 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule extended by 2 AEs. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, See Ya O2 once FTTC FINALLY arrives from my cab
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Oct-11 14:07:21
Print Post

Maybe time to talk to others locally and goto meetings.

A key influencer would be a local business or two complaining that lack of FTTC may mean they move to a different area.

BT is not going to fight every cab location as hard as local people/businesses will, because with their limited funding Openreach can simply deploy the cabinets in another town, making them more attractive to home buyers/businesses

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Embraer
(member) Tue 18-Oct-11 15:44:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My contact (I'll PM you his name to confirm his position) has been open and honest with me throughout and I'm going to exhaust the work OR is doing before going further. He has re-iterated that the cabinet's footprint regarding orders makes it a priority as there is no Virgin provision and most telephone numbers I've input that I can google for the area return sub-3mb speeds.

Regarding businesses, apart from a garage I can't find any. There's a school but they tend to have their own leased lines as far as I've heard

I contact him the first week of the month so I'll update further then

Edited by Embraer (Tue 18-Oct-11 15:50:08)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to