General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Oct-11 18:00:46
Print Post

Re: Strange Cabinet

[re: Embraer] [link to this post]

With my County Councillors hat on:-

In your quote from your OR contact, you refer to "highways agency". Which is not your local council.

The Highways Agency is a government agency with responsibility for trunk roads. http://www.highways.gov.uk/

I know from my own dealings that they do not like anything on or under "their" roads such as a sewer (which I suggested be laid under a proposed widening of a trunk road.

So, first of all, is your existing cabinet on what might be described as a trunk road (it does not have to be a dual carriageway)? If not, then it would be likely to come under your local council planners. In which case, you have the right to speak with them yourself or get your local councillor to speak to them on your behalf. If your Council operates in a similar manner to mine, then your local councillor would have been contacted by the council for his/her view on a new cabinet if it was contentious. For my exchange, Hawarden, I was contacted for one cabinet which was located within the Conservation Area. I happily offered no objection (it was NOT the box which serves my house !!!).

I you let me know who your council is, or your postcode, by PM if you like, I will find you a contact phone number for your local planning department. The road that your cabinet is on may be useful too. (Flintshire has a website where you can follow planning by post code, hopefully yours has similar)

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! John Glen, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Standard User Embraer
(member) Wed 19-Oct-11 16:40:06
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Council comment was a bit flippant, sorry. Will PM you the details, know a lot already but would be interested to have a contact if there is a planning refusal

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule extended by 2 AEs. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, See Ya O2 once FTTC FINALLY arrives from my cab
Standard User Embraer
(member) Mon 31-Oct-11 17:54:20
Print Post

Well, seriously on a downer now, planning permission for my cab has been turned down by the Highways Agency on safety grounds. Full text of the email from my OR contact below

Not great news I am afraid, the Highways Agency rejected our final position on safety grounds last Thursday (this is something they are legally entitled to do), as we do not have any other locations suitable we are struggling and as a result we may have to consider removing this from our roll our programme.

As a last resort we are currently trying to divert some existing infrastructure to see if that will provide alternative options, this as I mentioned is a last resort and is not something we have ever tried before so it is a long shot and may not work.

Realise this is not the best of news for you as a potential customer, we are though trying everything we can to try and find a solution for your cabinet.

In terms of timescales, I should know by the end of November if we have a possible way forward or not.

Not too sure if the existing infrastructure is FTTP but not holding out much hope

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule extended by 2 AEs. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, See Ya O2 once FTTC FINALLY arrives from my cab

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Embraer
(member) Fri 04-Nov-11 19:15:06
Print Post

You've got to love forum contacts. Not a lost cause yet, the contractor involved is actively working to find an alternative site for the cab

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Fri 04-Nov-11 19:47:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Embraer:
You've got to love forum contacts. Not a lost cause yet, the contractor involved is actively working to find an alternative site for the cab.
Knowing how long you have been waiting, I hope that some good news does eventually come your way. wink

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User Embraer
(member) Sun 06-Nov-11 14:24:16
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Cheers mate. Just managed to tweak my adsl speed to a whopping 2.5mb using the DGTeam Netgear firmware, until recently I've been speeding along at 800K frown . Not bad considering the checker says I should get nothing close to that

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 06-Nov-11 19:51:08
Print Post

that is not a DSLAM as far as i can see but looks like a Reshelled PCP

think you need to look elsewhere for the cab
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 07-Nov-11 09:08:06
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
that is not a DSLAM as far as i can see but looks like a Reshelled PCP
That was agreed by everyone, including the OP, months ago tongue.
think you need to look elsewhere for the cab
I doubt if he will do that, as he knows it hasn't even got planning permission yet smile. See his post on 31 October.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 07-Nov-11 09:09:09)

Standard User Embraer
(member) Mon 07-Nov-11 16:44:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

smile

Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Nov-11 22:53:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I doubt if he will do that, as he knows it hasn't even got planning permission yet smile. See his post on 31 October.

From my own experience new cabinets sometimes go in before planning permission is granted. Nothing ilegal here, just that if refused then it has to be removed. Many individuals and companies take the risk and jump the gun. In my local case I had already signed off my agreement - the cab was technically within the defined Conservation Area, but located in a 1970's developed area, so I had no problem with it. OR simple got on with the job before the LA had signed it off. After all it was adjacent to the existing cabinet.

And NO, it was NOT the FTTC cab to which I'm connected!

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! John Glen, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to