General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 08-Nov-11 09:11:07
Print Post

Re: Strange Cabinet

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I doubt if he will do that, as he knows it hasn't even got planning permission yet smile. See his post on 31 October.
From my own experience new cabinets sometimes go in before planning permission is granted. Nothing ilegal here, just that if refused then it has to be removed
I think there is a misunderstanding here smile.

The Anon poster clearly has not read the recent posts in the thread, perhaps no posts other than the opening one, and the relevant parts of the OP's posts may perhaps have slipped your memory.

(As I'm sure you know but some others may not), Local Authority planning permission is very rarely required for BT cabinet installations. The case you cite is unusual to start with, and in this one it is the Highways Agency that are kicking up the fuss and it has been a protracted process. What happened with the example you give is interesting but I don't feel it is particularly relevant to my reply to the Anon poster smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Nov-11 09:39:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
in this one it is the Highways Agency that are kicking up the fuss

In this case it is not the Highways Agency that are causing the problem. Simply, the Highways Agency are a government body involved with Motorways and Trunk Routes; Slater Lane is neither of those!

What has confused this usually simple erection of a FTTC cabinet is that the local council, whilst responsible for planning, is not the local Higway Authority; that is Lancashire County Council. Overall, the actual issue here is a combination of ownership of land for a suitable cabinet location and OFCOM rules on distance been existing and FTTC cab.

Hopefully it will all come together.

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder!” John Glen, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 08-Nov-11 10:01:56
Print Post

Re: Strange Cabinet (edited)

So you are saying the OP and/or his OpenReach contact are talking rubbish? And that the Anon poster is correct in saying the OP should look elsewhere for his FTTC cab?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 08-Nov-11 10:03:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Nov-11 11:12:16
Print Post

His OR contact is mixing up Highways Agency and Lancashire County Council.

PM sent.

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder!” John Glen, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 08-Nov-11 12:08:30
Print Post

Cheers.

Still doesn't materially affect my reply to the Anon tongue.

Standard User Embraer
(member) Wed 09-Nov-11 18:47:10
Print Post

Happy to report that the area of land that was original thought to be unadopted is actually adopted highway so my contact in the infrastructure company responsible for installing the cab is placing all the orders for it's siting.

Happy, happy, happy

Many thanks again to the Mariner, that is a man with a seriously large number of really useful contacts smile

BTW Mariner, your quote re John Glenn is incorrect, it was Alan Shepard who said it - he is also originator of the "Shepard's Prayer", just google it

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule extended by 2 AEs. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, See Ya O2 once FTTC FINALLY arrives from my cab

Edited by Embraer (Wed 09-Nov-11 18:52:24)

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Wed 09-Nov-11 20:45:10
Print Post

[re: Embraer] [link to this post]

So, finally, some good news has come the way of he who has waited. laugh

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Nov-11 00:04:34
Print Post

Pleased to have been of help and thanks for spotting my mis-attribution to John Glenn, corrected now.

My favourite astronaut story, sadly untrue apparently, was featured some years back in the February 1996 edition of the General Aviation magazine Flyer, quote:-

"AURAL RIDDLE EXPLAINED - Until recently, just one small thing remained to be explained about the Apollo moon missions. When he had landed on the moon and made his famous ‘one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind’ contribution to the world’s dictionaries of quotations, Neil Armstrong followed it with the more mysterious ‘Good luck, Mr Gorsky’. At the time, nobody could explain this comment (other than some not too serious suggestions of moon madness) and nobody thought much of it. However, as is the way with such moments in history, the comms records of that first ever moonwalk have been closely analysed. Generally technical comms-speak, the ‘Gorsky’ statement stood out. It could have been assumed that it was directed at a rival Soviet Cosmonaut - but there is no Gorsky known in the Russian space camp. Over the past 25 or so years many questions had been asked about the ‘Good Luck, Mr Gorsky’ statement. But it was only on July 5 last year that Neil Armstrong broke his silence. It appears that when he was young, Neil Armstrong had been playing baseball with his brother in the backyard of his parents’ home. His brother hit a ball which landed right in front of the neighbours’ bedroom window - a certain Mr and Mrs Gorsky. As he gathered the ball, Armstrong heard Mrs Gorsky shouting at Mr Gorsky ‘Oral sex? You’ll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!’

So now you know, and a prize to the first person to find the correct CAP 413 of expressing this." unquote.

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder!” Alan Shepard, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Standard User Embraer
(member) Thu 10-Nov-11 23:54:22
Print Post

Another Urban Myth. If you want a good read though look for Riding Rockets by Mike Mullane

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule extended by 2 AEs. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, See Ya O2 once FTTC FINALLY arrives from my cab
Standard User Embraer
(member) Fri 17-Feb-12 16:28:27
Print Post

We have progress, a hole & a trench, lots of orange barriers and a commitment from Openreach that orders will be placeable by mid-April smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to