General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-May-11 22:59:07
Print Post

Re: Moving to FTTC, Which Router?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The trouble with that is the Openreach requirement that you use their supplied modem. A few have risked replacing it though, with various combination kit. The Fritz box seems to be coming out on top from what I see.

I am not sure that that is the case, my ISP seemed to think it was okay to attach 3rd party kit.

I was recently testing another VDSL2 modem that is not yet on the UK market and it CONSISTENTLY synced 12% slower than the BTO modem. I was surprised at the loss as the manufacturer has a very good name.

It was not a profile related issue, I could swap the modems at will and alter my sync. Not all modems are created equal so make sure you buy one from a retailer with a generous returns policy - you may find it slower than the BTO one.

DrT

PS Don't ask for details of the kit. If I told you I'd have to shoot you; then they would have to shoot me wink.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 03-May-11 23:05:08
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
I am not sure that that is the case, my ISP seemed to think it was okay to attach 3rd party kit.
Although there's nothing to physically stop you, your ISP was mistaken:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/3997831-sel...

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 03-May-11 23:07:53
Print Post

[re: Cruncher] [link to this post]

You are correct, you can't get any stats from the OR modem.

The Buffalo router is much smaller than the Netgear 834. Scarily small smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mattypi
(newbie) Tue 03-May-11 23:10:31
Print Post

Thats very interesting as i have seen the same profile over both or's modem and the vdsl2 modem in a third party router could it have been a pre production issue? or a beta firmware release or something ? (was it linksys/cisco:-))
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-May-11 23:15:35
Print Post

[re: mattypi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mattypi:
Thats very interesting as i have seen the same profile over both or's modem and the vdsl2 modem in a third party router could it have been a pre production issue? or a beta firmware release or something ? (was it linksys/cisco:-))

As I said, I do not think it was a profile issue. The profile would not change that quickly and predictably.

<< (was it linksys/cisco:-))>>

DrT gets out his Desert Eagle and slips off the safety wink.

Cheers

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User Singh400
(member) Tue 03-May-11 23:20:23
Print Post

I've been looking at the DrayTek Vigor 2750n. Hadn't heard of the TG789n. Looking into it now.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 03-May-11 23:28:35
Print Post

[re: Cruncher] [link to this post]

I'm slightly surprised nobody has mentioned the Bilion 7800N

I'm been using one (with beta firmware for IPv6) for about a month and so far very happy with it. It's not the prettiest router I've ever seen though tongue

Several threads relating to it in the DSL Hardware forum.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mattypi
(newbie) Tue 03-May-11 23:58:01
Print Post

sure sorry I meant the profile speed stayed the same but so did the throughput-exactly infact.
.....so it is?!!smile
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-May-11 00:25:01
Print Post

[re: mattypi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mattypi:
sure sorry I meant the profile speed stayed the same but so did the throughput-exactly infact.
.....so it is?!!smile

Sorry, but I cannot understand your point or question.

DrT

Standard User mattypi
(newbie) Wed 04-May-11 00:33:53
Print Post

Point: my third party router was exactly the same speed as my or modem
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to