General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-May-11 07:36:47
Print Post

Re: Moving to FTTC, Which Router?

[re: Cruncher] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Cruncher:
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH - As above but the gig Ethernet version, possible issues running DD-WRT firmware. ~£64
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-AirStation-HighPower...

So come on, whats your thinking peeps?
I have this model, and it is an excellent piece of kit, IMO. If you are concerned about the DD-WRT firmware, Buffalo provide their own firmware (called 'Basic' in the manual, I think)..
Standard User Cruncher
(newbie) Sat 07-May-11 12:15:25
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

Yep have seem and read about it, though if i can run the DD-WRT FW then i will as i hear much good things about it. smile

I am swaying towards the Buffalo, decided that i do want gig ethernet, so that has helped my choosing...

How do you find the interface for the Buffalo?

Do the buffalo's do ipv6? Should i be looking at a router that does do ipv6?

Ta

Edited by Cruncher (Sat 07-May-11 12:16:25)

Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-May-11 13:00:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by Cruncher:
Yep have seem and read about it, though if i can run the DD-WRT FW then i will as i hear much good things about it. smile

I am swaying towards the Buffalo, decided that i do want gig ethernet, so that has helped my choosing...

How do you find the interface for the Buffalo?

Do the buffalo's do ipv6? Should i be looking at a router that does do ipv6?

Ta
I like the interface - easy to navigate, but not overwhelming for the basic stuff..

Yeah, IP V6 is supported, but disabled by default..

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hareng
(newbie) Sun 08-May-11 23:47:35
Print Post

Hope everything goes well, they used to be a great ISP.
Tickets galore for well over a month checking them out plus the phone call. At time only three less than £30 p/m with two genuine unlimited off peak, thought it was worth the risk.

Why do ISP automatically assume you have a connection.

Incidently the BT Home Hub2 wont have it and probably wouldnt be up and running if it wasnt for the Dlink showing 'Online' when pc didnt.
Had a right game with present ISP 18 days lost with no connection 4 different routers, 4 different passwords given, login change and can only get through mornings on a working day, not 24/7 service.

Great if O2/BE did FTTC.
Standard User Cruncher
(newbie) Mon 09-May-11 10:45:38
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

Fair enough, I'm still trying to decide between that and the Netgear....

@Hareng: Yep i so wish BE would be doing FTTC by now, i'd never have moved it they were....

But frankly, the possibility of 40/10 speeds is too much to pass up, as i only get 6/1 via ADSL2+ with Be.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 09-May-11 22:19:41
Print Post

I wish I'd tried the Buffalo Airstation, but I left to late and grabbed a Netgear WNDR3300 at the last minute. I think it is useless. I bought a lynksys cable router in the sale at Staples today for 15quid.
Want to check if the Netgear us my problem. The wireless 2.4GHz is diabolical for a "high power unit with 8 antennae". I think it's [censored] up the latency even on the wired connection.

Either way the Airstation for 35 quid delivered was the way to go with hindsight (and a more organised approach to my FTTC installation). tongue
Standard User mrnelster
(committed) Mon 09-May-11 22:22:05
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Me by the way. ^^^^^

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User Cruncher
(newbie) Tue 17-May-11 08:52:32
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Well, Install day is today! laugh

Between 8am and 1pm..... *Looks at watch again*

I've got both the Netgear WNDR3700 & Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, will send one of them back. smile

Any last minute tips/advice?

Edited by Cruncher (Tue 17-May-11 08:53:12)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-May-11 09:53:40
Print Post

Be nice to the engineer. Tea and biccies. If theres furniture/stuff in the way of where they need to work, have it shifted beforehand. Try not to come across as too 'geeky', it can be quite off putting. Why not show a healthy interest, and ask if the engineer can make a measurement of your D-side whilst doing the cab work (they may well ring and say they are going to do this before they come to the house). Also ask if you might be shown the test results from their JDSU/Exfo tester, attenuation, SNR, sync rate, and make a note of these for future reference.

Good luck.

Standard User Cruncher
(newbie) Tue 17-May-11 14:29:47
Print Post

So, FTTC installed and working great! laugh

Didn't see your reply until i just logged on Zarjaz, should have looked at the starts, he did say i was syncing at full speed though (as you can see)

Looks like i'm keeping the Netgear, what can i say, i just like them and this WNDR3700 is a beauty. smile

First up, heres the results BEFORE the install...

http://speedtest.net/result/1299634123.png

First Speedtest i did..... Though to be fair the pings seems to be more around the 12-16ms mark on the Speedtest website.

http://speedtest.net/result/1299775583.png

Pings via Command Prompt to BBC

Text
C:\Users\xxxxxx>ping www.bbc.co.uk
 Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.244.70] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.244.70: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=51Reply from 212.58.244.70: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=51
Reply from 212.58.244.70: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=51Reply from 212.58.244.70: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=51
 Ping statistics for 212.58.244.70:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 8ms, Average = 8ms

Heres the BT Modem after i did a bit of tidying up, its down the side of one of the sofas so you cant see it, though looks like i need to sort out that wall.... frown

He didn't change the master socket faceplate as i have all pre-filtered sockets around the house and he said the ones they fit are the same thing as what i have, though he did say the one i have here is actually better than the ones the fit now.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff376/InFlicT666...

EDIT: Cant embed images? :/

Edited by Cruncher (Tue 17-May-11 14:31:47)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to