General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nelix01
(member) Thu 05-May-11 14:29:56
Print Post

Re: Fingers crossed!!

[re: billford] [link to this post]

It is curious, I have run a few speed tests from different sites and always get a result of around 2Mbps upload but on the ST Speedchecker it is around 7Mbps.

My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-May-11 15:34:38
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

No, if you read the outcome;
It was the way it was set up with the modem and hub at the start of the Data Kit rather then the end. When I attempted to move it about first, I didnt realise that the new faceplace and the Data Kit accepted both RJ11 and RJ45 connections!!

...and then read through my description of the correct set up, you'll see I was right ! The person who seems to have been drinking was the installing engineer. I wonder if the engineer didn't fully finish the install, due to the V21 issue described in the OP's original post.

Standard User nelix01
(member) Thu 05-May-11 15:48:43
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

To be fair, I did ask the eng if he could set it up that way and he said he couldnt see why not.

The install wasnt fully completed due to the issues that OR experienced yesterday morning that delayed FTTC orders.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-May-11 15:54:54
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

Yes, the V21 issue was affecting about half of the morning appointments. Basically the the automated tool that sets up the allocated ports the night before, had gone Pete Tong.

I did ask the eng if he could set it up that way and he said he couldnt see why not.

That's worrying, looks like someone didn't understand the training. Not round the Reading area are you ?

Standard User nelix01
(member) Thu 05-May-11 21:22:44
Print Post

Na, in Northern Ireland. I'm sure that had he not had to go because of the V21 issues, it would have been sorted out at the timesmile

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User burakkucat
(regular) Sun 08-May-11 02:08:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
No, if you read the outcome;
It was the way it was set up with the modem and hub at the start of the Data Kit rather then the end. When I attempted to move it about first, I didnt realise that the new faceplace and the Data Kit accepted both RJ11 and RJ45 connections!!

...and then read through my description of the correct set up, you'll see I was right ! The person who seems to have been drinking was the installing engineer. I wonder if the engineer didn't fully finish the install, due to the V21 issue described in the OP's original post.
You may be wise in retrospect but I will now respectfully ask you to please go back and read my initial post to the OP in which I asked --
Can you be a little more explicit other than "isn't working", please? Details? Observations? Please describe your LAN configuration.
From that, you should be able to deduce that the OP's current set-up was not clearly defined.

If you are an employee of OpenReach or BT, please say so.

Please provide a link to the relevant official documentation that says that the "Data Kit" it to extend the VDSL signal to the OpenReach supplied modem which has been sited away from the NTE5A + "faceplate filter". (My apologies for not using the correct terminology for the latter.)

In my last but one sentence, above, which I summarise your "description of the correct set up" (quoting your words) is at total variance to all BT Infinity installations that I have seen. Until you can show me otherwise (in official documentation, as requested above), a correct installation has the VDSL modem sited at the NTE5A. If a "Data Kit" is requested by the EU, the normal method is to use it to link the NTE5A sited VDSL modem to the HH3 (or other EU supplied equipment). A less "correct" installation would be as the OP of this thread requested. The VDSL modem and HH3 to be sited at the NTE5A and the "Data Kit" to extend from one of the LAN ports of the HH3 to another location. A totally abnormal and incorrect installation would be to use the "Data Kit" as you have described.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Edited by burakkucat (Sun 08-May-11 02:13:26)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-May-11 11:06:12
Print Post

What are you on about ?

The data extension kit is used to allow engineers to provide the modem at up to 30m away from the NTE. At the NTE end the 3 pair cable can be either used with the fitted RJ45 jack to the faceplate filter, or cut back and one pair terminated on the IDC terminals in the VDSL faceplate filter. At the other end, an LJU2/2a style socket has an RJ11 jack for the lead to the modem. That's what it's for.
From that, you should be able to deduce that the OP's current set-up was not clearly defined.

No, but he said it all worked fine if all connected to the NTE, so the cause was what was in between, the data extension kit.

You ask for a link to the Official document, but surely a link to the ISIS document on a public forum would be in breach of BT's policies.

Standard User burakkucat
(regular) Sun 08-May-11 11:18:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
What are you on about ?
Your attitude and behaviour.

Either re-read & understand what has been written, answer what has been asked of you and don't try to hide behind obscurity / smoke screens of your own making.

I refuse to be drawn into an argument with you.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-May-11 13:24:48
Print Post

I also don't wish to have an argument.

The tone of my initial reply to you was prompted by your post asking if 'someone had been drinking'.

I had correctly identified the cause of the OP's reported issue.

I'm not being obscure about what I do. I once endured a years disciplinary from my employers for posting on this very forum, and having a profile which proudly stated what I did. I would be foolish to repeat that wouldn't I.

Let's leave it there, eh ?

Standard User burakkucat
(regular) Sun 08-May-11 14:11:41
Print Post

To save you the trouble of scrolling back and looking for my relevant post, I wrote --
No, that is not how I have seen them deployed. (I wonder, has somebody been drinking? tongue )
Notice the emoticon (a.k.a. smilie)?
I had correctly identified the cause of the OP's reported issue.
After the event, in retrospect, when the OP had provided some more information. I would have got there a lot sooner if I was in possession of all of the facts at the outset, when requested.

Some advice (yes, I appreciate it is unsolicited). Please: Do not make public statements which you cannot (for what ever reason) substantiate; Do not assume you know best and, therefore, everybody else are fools; When in a hole, stop digging.

This old black cat has seen many summers; has learnt a lot along the way; in a certain area he has learnt a lot from (what was then) GPO Engineering staff; has subsequently had many an interesting conversation with those who are now OpenReach Engineering staff. If someone comes up behind him and tweaks his tail, he will turn around with fur raised, give the tweaker a filthy black-look, raise a paw with claws exposed and prepare to supply a good swipe. If someone wishes to be friendly and discuss areas of common interest, he will purr sonorously. It's your choice, entirely. wink

Edited by burakkucat (Sun 08-May-11 14:12:37)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to