General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nelix01
(member) Tue 03-May-11 18:48:04
Print Post

Fingers crossed!!

[link to this post]

I have a AM appointment tomorrow for installation of BT Infinity. Hub3 arrived last week so all ready to go. Currently only manage 1Mbps and estimate is for 38Mbps on FTTC. Will post stats as soon as I cansmile

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User mrnelster
(committed) Tue 03-May-11 19:15:58
Print Post

Re: Fingers crossed!!

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

My stats used to look like that. Yesterday I was downloading at just under 4.5MBps.

You may need a seatbelt. wink

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User nelix01
(member) Tue 03-May-11 21:37:21
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Looking foward to getting some decent speeds for a change.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nelix01
(member) Wed 04-May-11 15:50:21
Print Post

The install has not went as planned. All the work has been completed but cannot get sync to the CAB. I have been told that this is due to a problem with FTTC orders on the Openreach side and that are running behind.
The engineer has advise to leave it as it is and hopefully it will come on this evening!!

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User nelix01
(member) Wed 04-May-11 17:15:33
Print Post

Ok, the engineer left and then the sync came back up about 30 mins ago. Here's my problem, I can only connect to the hub via wireless, the data kit that was installed isnt working. Here's the set up:

1. Modem connected to Master Socket
2. Hub connected to the Modem
3. Hub 3 has a connection to the data kit via LAN
4. PC connected to the end of the Data Kit via LAN

PC isnt seeing the Data Kit as connection.

Anyone any ideas?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User burakkucat
(learned) Wed 04-May-11 18:00:52
Print Post

the data kit that was installed isnt working.
There is nothing special about that. All it is an Ethernet cable that runs from the HH3 to a socket into which you can plug a lead to connect to a computer, etc. Can you be a little more explicit other than "isn't working", please? Details? Observations? Please describe your LAN configuration.

Could you move a computer (temporarily) to be adjacent to the HH3 and then test with an Ethernet fly-lead direct to the HH3?

If you are absolutely sure that part of the installed equipment is defective / not working, then get back to your ISP and insist that they arrange an OR engineering visit to correct the defective install.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User nelix01
(member) Wed 04-May-11 18:40:10
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

My PC cannot pick up a network connection when connected to the Data Kit. Not sure what else I can say about it!! I have managed to connect via a pair of Homeplugs and 'N' Wifi but throughput is around 11-12Mbps when connected that way. Just did a speed test with a laptop connected directly to the Hub 3 and got around 33Mbps.

My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 04-May-11 19:50:51
Print Post

have you checked the settings for the port itself? then i changed the port was set for a specific address and i had to change it to automactic.

im assuming that the laptop connected via the cable your useing for the pc as well so the cable itself is good
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-May-11 22:30:19
Print Post

OK, is this 'data kit' the data extension kit supplied by the engineer ? If so, you have set it up wrong.

Data extension kit connected to newly fitted faceplate filter.

Modem connected to small socket on end of data extension kit via the supplied RJ11 lead.

Ethernet cable connected between lan1 port on modem to red marked port on Homehub 3

Ethernet from a.n.other lan port on Homehub 3 to your PC

Standard User nelix01
(member) Wed 04-May-11 22:33:33
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Yes, I have checked the setting for the port and they are fine. Think there is a problem with the data kit wiring.

My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User nelix01
(member) Thu 05-May-11 00:26:23
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
OK, is this 'data kit' the data extension kit supplied by the engineer ? If so, you have set it up wrong.

Modem connected to small socket on end of data extension kit via the supplied RJ11 lead.

Ethernet cable connected between lan1 port on modem to red marked port on Homehub 3 - Yes

1. No it is connected to the Hub3 via LAN Port, the newly fitted faceplate has a socket for RJ11 Connection.

2. No the Small socket at the end of data kit has a lan connection

3. Modem is connected directly to the faceplate via RJ11 Connection

My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by nelix01 (Thu 05-May-11 00:32:11)

Standard User burakkucat
(learned) Thu 05-May-11 02:22:27
Print Post

My PC cannot pick up a network connection when connected to the Data Kit. Not sure what else I can say about it!!
O.k. I get your point.

You will need to report a defective (faulty) installation to your ISP who, in turn, should book an OR engineering visit to rectify the fault.
Just did a speed test with a laptop connected directly to the Hub 3 and got around 33Mbps.
So that is the baseline, minimum, speed you can expect once the mis-wiring has been resolved.

Standard User burakkucat
(learned) Thu 05-May-11 02:25:54
Print Post

Ethernet cable connected between lan1 port on modem to red marked port on Homehub 3

No, that is not how I have seen them deployed. (I wonder, has somebody been drinking? tongue )

Standard User WWWombat
(member) Thu 05-May-11 04:36:04
Print Post

I always got the impression (from watching the Plusnet forum on fibre trials) that the data extension kit carried the VDSL2 signal from master socket to a remote (up to 30m) location for the modem.

I guess it is equally possible for it to be installed such that the modem is located at the master socket, and the data extension kit is used to carry the ethernet connection between the router (the HH in this case) and the modem.
Standard User nelix01
(member) Thu 05-May-11 10:57:19
Print Post

All sorted now. Spoke with a eng mate and have it configured correctly now.

Latest speed test results:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 31980 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-38717 Kbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps

My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User BP1
(committed) Thu 05-May-11 11:29:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by nelix01:
All sorted now. Spoke with a eng mate and have it configured correctly now.

Latest speed test results:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 31980 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-38717 Kbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps

Great News - I remember when i had my Infinity product installed and had problems - Once the problems were soughted its been great.

Any chance on you posting back on how you got your problem fixed - Might help others here with similar problems.

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 05-May-11 11:39:19
Print Post

That's a strange upload speed in your sig- too high for 2Mbps and very poor for 10Mbps.

Can you remember (or re-check) your upload profile from the BT speed test?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nelix01
(member) Thu 05-May-11 11:47:07
Print Post

[re: BP1] [link to this post]

It was the way it was set up with the modem and hub at the start of the Data Kit rather then the end. When I attempted to move it about first, I didnt realise that the new faceplace and the Data Kit accepted both RJ11 and RJ45 connections!!

My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User nelix01
(member) Thu 05-May-11 11:48:35
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Bill,

My upload profile is 10Mbps and iirc the BT Speed Test gave a result around 7Mbps.

My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 05-May-11 12:51:19
Print Post

That's more sensible, just an odd result for some reason no doubt, thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nelix01
(member) Thu 05-May-11 14:29:56
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

It is curious, I have run a few speed tests from different sites and always get a result of around 2Mbps upload but on the ST Speedchecker it is around 7Mbps.

My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-May-11 15:34:38
Print Post

No, if you read the outcome;
It was the way it was set up with the modem and hub at the start of the Data Kit rather then the end. When I attempted to move it about first, I didnt realise that the new faceplace and the Data Kit accepted both RJ11 and RJ45 connections!!

...and then read through my description of the correct set up, you'll see I was right ! The person who seems to have been drinking was the installing engineer. I wonder if the engineer didn't fully finish the install, due to the V21 issue described in the OP's original post.

Standard User nelix01
(member) Thu 05-May-11 15:48:43
Print Post

To be fair, I did ask the eng if he could set it up that way and he said he couldnt see why not.

The install wasnt fully completed due to the issues that OR experienced yesterday morning that delayed FTTC orders.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-May-11 15:54:54
Print Post

Yes, the V21 issue was affecting about half of the morning appointments. Basically the the automated tool that sets up the allocated ports the night before, had gone Pete Tong.

I did ask the eng if he could set it up that way and he said he couldnt see why not.

That's worrying, looks like someone didn't understand the training. Not round the Reading area are you ?

Standard User nelix01
(member) Thu 05-May-11 21:22:44
Print Post

Na, in Northern Ireland. I'm sure that had he not had to go because of the V21 issues, it would have been sorted out at the timesmile

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User burakkucat
(regular) Sun 08-May-11 02:08:57
Print Post

No, if you read the outcome;

...and then read through my description of the correct set up, you'll see I was right ! The person who seems to have been drinking was the installing engineer. I wonder if the engineer didn't fully finish the install, due to the V21 issue described in the OP's original post.
You may be wise in retrospect but I will now respectfully ask you to please go back and read my initial post to the OP in which I asked --
Can you be a little more explicit other than "isn't working", please? Details? Observations? Please describe your LAN configuration.
From that, you should be able to deduce that the OP's current set-up was not clearly defined.

If you are an employee of OpenReach or BT, please say so.

Please provide a link to the relevant official documentation that says that the "Data Kit" it to extend the VDSL signal to the OpenReach supplied modem which has been sited away from the NTE5A + "faceplate filter". (My apologies for not using the correct terminology for the latter.)

In my last but one sentence, above, which I summarise your "description of the correct set up" (quoting your words) is at total variance to all BT Infinity installations that I have seen. Until you can show me otherwise (in official documentation, as requested above), a correct installation has the VDSL modem sited at the NTE5A. If a "Data Kit" is requested by the EU, the normal method is to use it to link the NTE5A sited VDSL modem to the HH3 (or other EU supplied equipment). A less "correct" installation would be as the OP of this thread requested. The VDSL modem and HH3 to be sited at the NTE5A and the "Data Kit" to extend from one of the LAN ports of the HH3 to another location. A totally abnormal and incorrect installation would be to use the "Data Kit" as you have described.

Edited by burakkucat (Sun 08-May-11 02:13:26)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-May-11 11:06:12
Print Post

What are you on about ?

The data extension kit is used to allow engineers to provide the modem at up to 30m away from the NTE. At the NTE end the 3 pair cable can be either used with the fitted RJ45 jack to the faceplate filter, or cut back and one pair terminated on the IDC terminals in the VDSL faceplate filter. At the other end, an LJU2/2a style socket has an RJ11 jack for the lead to the modem. That's what it's for.
From that, you should be able to deduce that the OP's current set-up was not clearly defined.

No, but he said it all worked fine if all connected to the NTE, so the cause was what was in between, the data extension kit.

You ask for a link to the Official document, but surely a link to the ISIS document on a public forum would be in breach of BT's policies.

Standard User burakkucat
(regular) Sun 08-May-11 11:18:16
Print Post

What are you on about ?
Your attitude and behaviour.

Either re-read & understand what has been written, answer what has been asked of you and don't try to hide behind obscurity / smoke screens of your own making.

I refuse to be drawn into an argument with you.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-May-11 13:24:48
Print Post

I also don't wish to have an argument.

The tone of my initial reply to you was prompted by your post asking if 'someone had been drinking'.

I had correctly identified the cause of the OP's reported issue.

I'm not being obscure about what I do. I once endured a years disciplinary from my employers for posting on this very forum, and having a profile which proudly stated what I did. I would be foolish to repeat that wouldn't I.

Let's leave it there, eh ?

Standard User burakkucat
(regular) Sun 08-May-11 14:11:41
Print Post

To save you the trouble of scrolling back and looking for my relevant post, I wrote --
No, that is not how I have seen them deployed. (I wonder, has somebody been drinking? tongue )
Notice the emoticon (a.k.a. smilie)?
I had correctly identified the cause of the OP's reported issue.
After the event, in retrospect, when the OP had provided some more information. I would have got there a lot sooner if I was in possession of all of the facts at the outset, when requested.

Some advice (yes, I appreciate it is unsolicited). Please: Do not make public statements which you cannot (for what ever reason) substantiate; Do not assume you know best and, therefore, everybody else are fools; When in a hole, stop digging.

This old black cat has seen many summers; has learnt a lot along the way; in a certain area he has learnt a lot from (what was then) GPO Engineering staff; has subsequently had many an interesting conversation with those who are now OpenReach Engineering staff. If someone comes up behind him and tweaks his tail, he will turn around with fur raised, give the tweaker a filthy black-look, raise a paw with claws exposed and prepare to supply a good swipe. If someone wishes to be friendly and discuss areas of common interest, he will purr sonorously. It's your choice, entirely. wink

Edited by burakkucat (Sun 08-May-11 14:12:37)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 08-May-11 22:28:45
Print Post

Maybe these two items of information will help.

First, from the BT Help found in several links by googling "Data extension kit", we have, with my bold
The BT Infinity Data Extension Kit is a special cable up to 30 metres long and roughly the diameter of a pencil. It provides a wired connection between your telephone master socket and your BT Infinity Hub (via your Openreach modem) to give you the best broadband speeds possible.

Unlike a standard broadband Hub, we canít plug the BT Infinity Hub into a phone extension socket: it needs to connect directly to your phone master socket. This is because standard home phone wiring (between sockets) canít carry the higher data speeds of BT Infinity. Your old Hub might be plugged into a phone extension socket, perhaps in a work area upstairs. But if you want to put your new Hub in the same place, youíll now need the extension kit to connect it to the master socket downstairs.

You wonít need the extension kit cabling if youíre happy for your new BT Infinity Hub to sit with your Openreach modem, next to your master phone socket.
To me that means that if your router (HH) on ADSLx was by the master socket then the fibre router and modem go there, with no data extension kit, on the assumption that whatever arrangements the user had before will work as before.

It doesn't make clear the position of the modem with the kit, but clearly the router is at the far end from the master.

We also have this OR diagram, which to me shows two alternatives. Master >> modem >> (ethernet >>) router, or master >> kit >> modem >> router.

The initial installation with the modem and router both at the master therefore seems to be not as intended by Openreach.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 09-May-11 00:08:17)

Standard User burakkucat
(regular) Tue 10-May-11 01:36:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for that OR diagram, Bob (the peace-maker). smile

I think (I haven't checked wink) that somewhere on the main TBB site there is information that was provided when BT first trialled FTTC. Part of the information was that the VDSL modem would be required to be sited at the NTE5A.

Certainly the OP's situation, NTE5A >> VDSL modem >> HH3 >> Data Kit >> EU computer, would be flagged as "abnormal", to me.

What irked me was that without any reference to any sources, regardless of what I have seen with my own eyes, I was told that the second example in the OR diagram was the only way of using the "Data Kit". I recall (again I can't find the original reference) that when the "Data Kit" was announced one of its uses was shown as NTE5A >> VDSL modem >> Data Kit >> EU Router/Switch >> EU computer. Indeed it is only the latter usage ("Data Kit" between the VDSL modem and EU Router/Switch) that I have seen!

Anyway, water flows off ducks' backs, downstream and under the bridge. Zarjaz and burakkucat are at peace (I believe). laugh

Edited by burakkucat (Tue 10-May-11 02:24:04)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to