General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-May-11 20:29:47
Print Post

Re: For The Curious About Openreach FTTC Delays

[re: hareng] [link to this post]

an Openreach installer told me only the slowest areas will be done first.

Not true.

Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-May-11 21:25:34
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I would have a guess that some delays were down to maybe Openreach considering FTTC cabinets as minor works and maybe some councils considering FTTC cabinets as major noticeable works.

I would have a punt that if cabinets were delayed for noticing that they planted them in the next phase rollout areas with more cooperative councils long before the spine was in place or even due rather than having them kicking around the docks

I would guess this would probably lead to punters in those areas wondering why they have cabinets in place yet are unable to order and punters in projected enabled areas wondering what's the hold up.

I would guess that regional investment general managers in Openreach have this massive investment very close to their hearts, or at least their daily key performance figures.

Analysts are projecting very good figures for BT results tomorrow. I would expect this will encourage the fttc rollout to accelerate and maybe a few more bob being put in.

As a shareholder, I would prefer the rollout to slow so we can judge demand and returns. Whether this is a bubble or a bust. I don't expect that to happen though. smile

Edited by RandomJointer (Wed 11-May-11 21:44:20)

Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-May-11 23:35:38
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

With my County Councillor hat on.

Recently received a 'Notification of Planning Application' letter from Flintshire County Council for, 'a prior approval application for the installation of BT cabinet' which will be situated in my ward.

From this, Flintshire are treating cabinet applications on the basis that they are approved unless there is an objection. (same as for a mobile phone mast).

I completed the tick box form with no objection and sent it back by return.

That cabinet does not serve my house, if it had I would be confronted with personal and prejudicial interest issues..... And I certainly do not want to stand in the way of FTTC and as the OR guy told me lat week, FTTH which has been installed just a couple of miles away.

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! John Glen, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold
DrayTek Vigor 2800V

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(member) Wed 11-May-11 23:37:10
Print Post

Not harsh at all, in that respect. I agree that the delays *are* a shambles.

However, the post I responded to was complaining about marking an exchange live when only a proportion of cabinets were live - and I agree with that policy. After all, there are 20% of subscribers who *can* get onto the system. You might as well be (a) getting the money, and (b) be employing your installation engineers.

The only problem with this strategy is that, once the exchange in announced as live, there is no visible sign of further progress in that area. It leaves you with no feedback about whether you can trust your own line's go-live date.

And, because of the planning problems, no-one trusts the go-live dates.

I think BT have learnt a bit about this, and have changed their planning methods *and* the way they report things to us - at least before the exchange is marked live. Note the split of the exchanges into 3 lists on Openreach's website?

I think they'd do better if they announced an exchange as live in the same way they do (ie at 10 cabinets), but then to keep announcing as they fill out further cabinets.
Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Thu 12-May-11 07:30:51
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
A rollout is just that - a gradual rolling out. The country has been having them for 250 years (canal, rail, road, electricity, telephone, radio, TV, gas, airports, mobile phone, cable, internet and now broadband in it's 4th guise), so you'd think we'd be used to the idea by now.

You missed dirt track wink

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-May-11 07:33:17
Print Post

I will say it again, if anyone with a delay thinks they bad off, at least you have a date wink

there is large parts of the country not been touched by BT FTTC.

Dates that couldnt be kept will have been for PR reasons and to keep share price up at time of announcement.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-May-11 07:34:15
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Yes, that is exactly reason why I hate BT. There isn't enough BT infinity enabled exchanges in West Midlands.

all of midlands is bad but the east midlands is significantly worse off than the west, as at least birmingham is seeing some action.
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-May-11 08:22:31
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Yes, I am in the East Midlands. And it's missing certain exchanges that have FTTC, some not on the list even have suites installed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
Standard User parish
(experienced) Thu 12-May-11 08:52:29
Print Post

[re: krazykizza] [link to this post]

I agree with "shambles".

My exchange (Trowbridge, Wilts) was originally slated for 30 Jun 2010 but about a week before that date it moved out another 3 months, This repeated until March this year and now it finally says that the exchange is ready for Infinity.

However, when I enter my phone number (and also those of friends who are on the same exchange, but it different locations) it says that Infinity isn't scheduled to be rolled out within the next 6 months - very clever wording; read it quickly and you read it as is within the next 6 months.

So, the exchange may, allegedly, be ready but there's little prospect of me having Infinity this year.

Then today I read this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13370899 - about BT making massive profits...
Profits at telecoms group BT have jumped 71% after a year of job cuts, restructuring, and an aggressive roll-out of broadband operations.

[...]

Mr Livingston [BT's CEO] hailed the roll-out of BT's super-fast broadband service as "one of the most rapid in the world, passing an average of 80,000 additional premises each week".

Hmmm, what's that aroma?
Standard User hareng
(newbie) Thu 12-May-11 19:49:03
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Quite true but most of the West Mids have a reasonable connection speed compared to what i have to put up with for 11 years on ADSL and ADSL2+. Its only been just over 6 years before i could get ADSL on 1/2meg fixed and had to push for that.

Incidentally 7 local cabs 6 of which were FTTC enabled last year supplying around 20,000 homes and i am the third to take it up, whats all the fuss?
Very few here are able to maintain over 1 meg excluding the shear number of dropouts measured in hundreds a day.

Both BT engineers stated only the worst areas will be done first, not my words. These same two separate engineers covered the West Mids and Staffs, next call could be 25 mile away far side of Brum or next door.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to