General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Fri 13-May-11 22:39:38
Print Post

Re: For The Curious About Openreach FTTC Delays

[re: parish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by parish:
Am I correct in thinking that it's only after the exchange is upgraded that they start upgrading the street-side cabinets - it would certainly appear that way if my exchange is ready but it will be 6+ months before Infinity is rolled-out?

If so, then that is something that they don't explain, which will cause confusion and complaints. I was certainly under the impression that once the exchange was declared ready that Infinity would be available to everyone connected to that exchange (unless there was a technical reason why a cabinet couldn't be fibre-enabled).

No. It seems BT will announce an exchange as live when 10 cabinets are ready for service, and will continue adding cabinets as per their internal schedule (which isn't publicised at all). Obviously they can only do this if the exchange is actually ready at the time.

Our exchange went live in November, and many cabinets went live in mid December. My cabinet, although installed at the same time as the others, only went live in April.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-May-11 10:00:26
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In my case it's the Midlands but as usual it wasn't clear. Completely OT but I wish someone would agree on what region we're in. Some people class Brackley as the South East rather than the Midlands. That actually makes sense to most of us because we tend to be part of the South East economy. Anyway it still says December 2011 so that's okay smile

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-May-11 10:02:34
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Yes, that is exactly reason why I hate BT. There isn't enough BT infinity enabled exchanges in West Midlands.

all of midlands is bad but the east midlands is significantly worse off than the west, as at least birmingham is seeing some action.
South Midlands is doing well considering how rural it is but then (as i implied in my other reply) for economic reasons it's probably better thought of as part of the South East.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User parish
(experienced) Sat 14-May-11 10:04:34
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
No. It seems BT will announce an exchange as live when 10 cabinets are ready for service, and will continue adding cabinets as per their internal schedule (which isn't publicised at all). Obviously they can only do this if the exchange is actually ready at the time.

Our exchange went live in November, and many cabinets went live in mid December. My cabinet, although installed at the same time as the others, only went live in April.

Ah, so it's all marketing hype then? They can claim that X% of exchanges are enabled, implying that X% of homes can get Infinity when, in reality, maybe only 10% of the X% can.

What led me to believe that once an exchange was enabled that everyone connected to it could get Infinity (except the few where technical limitations prevented it) was that I had an email from BT at the end of August last year saying that Infinity would be available to me "soon". At that time my exchange was listed as going live on 30 Sept.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-May-11 11:34:16
Print Post

[re: parish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by parish:
Ah, so it's all marketing hype then? They can claim that X% of exchanges are enabled, implying that X% of homes can get Infinity when, in reality, maybe only 10% of the X% can.

What led me to believe that once an exchange was enabled that everyone connected to it could get Infinity (except the few where technical limitations prevented it) was that I had an email from BT at the end of August last year saying that Infinity would be available to me "soon". At that time my exchange was listed as going live on 30 Sept.

Oh they are very careful to say that they have enabled exchanges passing x% of homes rather.

Quite annoying that they feel the need to do it given their customer base to be honest, oh well.
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Sun 15-May-11 02:04:41
Print Post

When they quote the number of homes passed, I don't think they quote the total number of homes within an exchange. I'm pretty sure they're going cabinet-by-cabinet. I could be wrong, but TBH it doesn't make *that* much difference in the grand scheme of things - 6 months tops to go from 20% of an exchange area to 85%?

Yes, they've been unwise about their marketing of "soon" - especially right now. I think we're caught "now" because they've been burnt once (so everything has been moved back), and they've learnt to be more cautious with the predictions for the future - so "soon" becomes "later" and "later" becomes "even later".

It might be annoying, but they're learning that there is a lot of demand - in certain areas, anyway. The constraints behind a national roll-out (it takes time, even with infinite money & infinite good will) means you *have* to keep the demanders informed.
Standard User Philce
(committed) Tue 17-May-11 11:02:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
In reply to a post by hareng:
Quite true but most of the West Mids have a reasonable connection speed compared to what i have to put up with for 11 years on ADSL and ADSL2+. Its only been just over 6 years before i could get ADSL on 1/2meg fixed and had to push for that.

Incidentally 7 local cabs 6 of which were FTTC enabled last year supplying around 20,000 homes and i am the third to take it up, whats all the fuss?
Very few here are able to maintain over 1 meg excluding the shear number of dropouts measured in hundreds a day.

Both BT engineers stated only the worst areas will be done first, not my words. These same two separate engineers covered the West Mids and Staffs, next call could be 25 mile away far side of Brum or next door.

The exchanges picked in my area are short line areas. I would assume they will go for low cost rollout areas first which would probably mean short line areas first.

Chris, I disagree, they arent doing anything to the actual existing cabling, the cabs sit next to the exisiting PCP, then splice in. Fibre back to the exchange might be different, but the rural exchanges being done cant have a shorter length than we have here?

I drove through Loughborough last week and its annoying seeing all the FTTC cabs springing up everywhere!
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-May-11 22:21:21
Print Post

[re: Philce] [link to this post]

I forgot the affluency link, in our case there is a heavy link to affluency. It would seem in parts of the country where BT are only activating a few exchanges they they prioritising affluency, however these out of city exchanges picked still have short cable runs from the exchange as well.

My cable run to my cabinet from the exchange is over 3.5km, significantly longer than the rural areas picked.

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 17-May-11 22:21:43)

Standard User Justo
(newbie) Wed 18-May-11 10:52:38
Print Post

I am not so sure about the length of the runs involved being a factor, but I do agree affluency probably is. Surely the most important factor would be the multiplier of speed available - if someone currently gets 2meg and you're offering 30meg they will jump at it and guarantee your return on investment quicker than an area where you're offering a jump from say 13meg to 30meg.

I would imagine the cost increase on longer runs is not very high as the cost would mainly originate from the cabs, exchange work and opening up the ducts regardless of lengths.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 30-May-11 23:23:54
Print Post

Re: For The Curious .... Richmond Council

Methinks Richmond Council lied.
I have just checked their site, and several proposals for new cabinets in the Petersham / Ham area were refused planning permission on basis like:
- near an existing Grade 2 Listed building
- harmful to the appearance and character of the Conservation Area
- compromise integrity of nearby trees
- MIGHT compromise the freeflow of traffic in the nearby area.

A quick check found all 5 proposals within 1 km of my house were refused by Richmond.

And here was me like a pillock, just waiting for BT's published date of 1st June (2 days away!) to come around!!!!!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to