General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-May-11 07:20:02
Print Post

Re: For The Curious .... Richmond Council

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

My recollection of Ham, was of very many v.old, and almost surely listed, buildings, and that at least the main road through being very narrow ....... so sounds considered/conservative its response.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-May-11 10:46:42
Print Post

Re: For The Curious .... Richmond Council

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I see what you mean about Petersham / Ham. Ouch.

I read a statement that they were very keen to get this done and saw some objections ignored for previous requests.

I will admit to not being that surprised though. Richmond is full of NIMBYs who naturally elect NIMBY-friendly councillors.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-May-11 16:23:47
Print Post

Re: For The Curious About Openreach FTTC Delays

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Justo:
I am not so sure about the length of the runs involved being a factor, but I do agree affluency probably is. Surely the most important factor would be the multiplier of speed available - if someone currently gets 2meg and you're offering 30meg they will jump at it and guarantee your return on investment quicker than an area where you're offering a jump from say 13meg to 30meg.

I would imagine the cost increase on longer runs is not very high as the cost would mainly originate from the cabs, exchange work and opening up the ducts regardless of lengths.

Thats the way I look at it but I dont think BT do.

They see it as a up to 8meg or up to 24mbit rather than what actual speeds are achievable on adsl. So in affect that doesnt come into it when they pick an area. I think they only look at cost to rollout and the predicted sales which they seem to think affluency has a bearing on.

Another factor as well for leics central is I was told by an engineer that the cable run for my cabinet at least goes under st margarets way, which is why I also got noise bursts at certian rush hour hours. I would hazard a guess its considerably cheaper and easier to dig up some side street than it is a a central ring road which merges 4 main trunk roads and deals with all city centre traffic.

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 31-May-11 22:13:51)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(member) Tue 31-May-11 17:07:21
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
I would hazard a guess its considerably cheaper and easier to dig up some side street than it is a a central ring road which merges 4 main trunk roads and deals with all city centre traffic.

I thought that was what ducting was for - to prevent the need for digging up. And where better than under somewhere sensitive to spurious roadworks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 31-May-11 18:04:43
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

FTTC - ducting if in place, not blocked and has space yes they will use it.

New ducting for the power link to the cab and also for the copper link between existing cabinet and the new one too. Plus digging to set the new cabinet into the ground.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-May-11 22:18:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I would hazard a guess its considerably cheaper and easier to dig up some side street than it is a a central ring road which merges 4 main trunk roads and deals with all city centre traffic.

I thought that was what ducting was for - to prevent the need for digging up. And where better than under somewhere sensitive to spurious roadworks!

yeah but they have serious issues around here with blocked ducts so I assume digging would be required.
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Tue 31-May-11 22:46:29
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
In reply to a post by RandomJointer:
I was talking about streetworks noticing rather than planning permission.

Tons of conservation areas around here, surely there would have been applications for the cabinets in those areas going in as well? None went in until the past weeks, certainly none were done before March 2011, the original date.

Still barking up the wrong tree Ignitionnet.

Streetworks noticing/permitting is for works in/on the highway and has to be submitted to the local highway authority. Planning permissions should be sorted out before it reaches this stage (or at least in principle).

Can't say too much but certain contractors for Openreach are rather poor at noticing/permitting, or at least keeping to the dates/details of said notice/permit. Have yet to experience the rollout in the areas that are nearest to me wink.

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~10 mbps (megabits per second) - ~1250 KBps (kilobytes per second)
Upstream ~2 mbps (megabits per second) - ~250 KBps (kilobytes per second)
Sky MID
Downstream Att. ~62db - SNR ~5.5db - Sync - ~2784 Kbps
Upstream Att. ~31db - SNR ~16db - Sync - ~832 Kbps
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-May-11 22:57:13
Print Post

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Yaz:
In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
In reply to a post by RandomJointer:
I was talking about streetworks noticing rather than planning permission.

Tons of conservation areas around here, surely there would have been applications for the cabinets in those areas going in as well? None went in until the past weeks, certainly none were done before March 2011, the original date.

Still barking up the wrong tree Ignitionnet.

Streetworks noticing/permitting is for works in/on the highway and has to be submitted to the local highway authority. Planning permissions should be sorted out before it reaches this stage (or at least in principle).

Can't say too much but certain contractors for Openreach are rather poor at noticing/permitting, or at least keeping to the dates/details of said notice/permit. Have yet to experience the rollout in the areas that are nearest to me wink.

Regardless of semantics applications needed to go into the borough council before cabinets could be built, none were. This is the same process that governs street works too.
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Tue 31-May-11 23:07:15
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

yeah but they have serious issues around here with blocked ducts so I assume digging would be required.

Which suggests they've been cutting costs on the ducting, so it doesn't stand up to the pressure underground.

Given that ducting is an added cost in the first place, whose benefit is only for sometime in the future... then it is a serious miscalculation if it turns out to be unsuitable when the future comes!

I wonder who will foot the bill when Fujitsu/Sky/Virgin come calling, wanting to share the ducts wink
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 31-May-11 23:12:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I wonder who will foot the bill when Fujitsu/Sky/Virgin come calling, wanting to share the ducts wink
It could explain why Virgin et al thought the proposed costs of duct sharing to be excessively high... maybe BT had a fair idea of the condition many of them were in?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to