General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Tue 31-May-11 23:48:10
Print Post

Re: For The Curious About Openreach FTTC Delays

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Regardless of semantics applications needed to go into the borough council before cabinets could be built, none were. This is the same process that governs street works too.

I'm not saying that planning had/hadn't been carried out. The part of RandomJointer's post that I am referring to is:

In reply to a post by RandomJointer:
I would have a guess that some delays were down to maybe Openreach considering FTTC cabinets as minor works and maybe some councils considering FTTC cabinets as major noticeable works.

Minor, Standard & Major works notice/permits add additional time on top of the planning phase. Obviously, if planning permission is required, then this should have been sorted out before noticing/permitting.

**Edit**
From what I have recall, the majority of cab works have been Standard works. Then again the cab works haven't reached the areas that will directly affect me yet.

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~10 mbps (megabits per second) - ~1250 KBps (kilobytes per second)
Upstream ~2 mbps (megabits per second) - ~250 KBps (kilobytes per second)
Sky MID
Downstream Att. ~62db - SNR ~5.5db - Sync - ~2784 Kbps
Upstream Att. ~31db - SNR ~16db - Sync - ~832 Kbps

Edited by Yaz (Tue 31-May-11 23:54:32)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Jun-11 11:53:54
Print Post

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

OK.

Permission is required in many areas here as there's a load of conservation areas here in the borough so applications are inevitable.
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Wed 01-Jun-11 20:37:24
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
OK.

Permission is required in many areas here as there's a load of conservation areas here in the borough so applications are inevitable.

I will be checking our local city council planning website in the near future. I will certainly be speaking with work colleagues regarding the relevant streetworks notice/permits.

You might find this site useful for all things roadworks related www.elgin.gov.uk.

The site isn't specific for FTTC cab works but you can setup Email or RSS alerts for specific areas that will show who, what, where and when works are being carried out on the highway.

FTTC cab works will usually include work notices/permits for Openreach and the area electric utility company.

vFast Ltd
Sky MID

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnhol
(newbie) Thu 02-Jun-11 10:14:02
Print Post

Well according to my local council OpenReach have not requested anything for my estate even though the checker says by 30/06......Exchange is done and plenty of people I know in Uxbridge have FTTC....surely they must not need permission otherwise this is still way off.
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Thu 02-Jun-11 20:31:53
Print Post

[re: johnhol] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johnhol:
Well according to my local council OpenReach have not requested anything for my estate even though the checker says by 30/06......Exchange is done and plenty of people I know in Uxbridge have FTTC....surely they must not need permission otherwise this is still way off.

Are you talking about planning permission? Planning permission may not be required for a cabinet to be installed (check with the local district council planning dept).

A streetworks notice/permit will be required prior to any works being carried out on the highway. Check the picture below for noticing periods:
Streetworks noticing

The ELGIN website will only show you notices/permits that are either current or planned (and only where the local highway authority system links in AND if a notice/permit has been applied for/granted). Once the works notice/permit has expired (not necessarily works completed/carried out), ELGIN will no longer list the works (though the local highway authority will still have records of the works on the internal systems).

vFast Ltd
Sky MID
Standard User Justo
(learned) Fri 03-Jun-11 09:25:00
Print Post

Do OR/Telent need a streetworks permit for a new cab though? I thought they were exempt under old GPO rules. Unless they need to dig up the road to lay power or get back to the original cab, I wonder if the new ones can go in without any traceable paperwork being filed?
Standard User johnhol
(newbie) Fri 03-Jun-11 10:03:53
Print Post

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

Well a neighbour said we had an openreach van on the estate and he was walking between the main ropad and our estate cab. I know there is a new cabinet planned near the entrance to the estate and it seems that we may be connected to that..

Thought the fibre cab had to be next to the old cab you are on.
Standard User Ribble
(member) Fri 03-Jun-11 12:22:26
Print Post

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

The New Roads Streeeorks Act equally applies to OR as any other utility. Code powers allows OR to install equipment without planning permission in many case but noticing is required for works in the highway or where the works is within certain proximity to it
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Fri 03-Jun-11 19:26:16
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
The New Roads Streeeorks Act equally applies to OR as any other utility. Code powers allows OR to install equipment without planning permission in many case but noticing is required for works in the highway or where the works is within certain proximity to it

This.

vFast Ltd
Sky MID
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Jun-11 11:58:18
Print Post

Re: For The Curious .... Richmond Council

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I can, regretfully, confirm that Richmond Council were indeed economical with the truth.

I can find 19 applications within my local area, each and every one refused.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to