General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 27-Jun-11 16:35:49
Print Post

Re: OR Modem Replaced Speed Drop DLM

[re: neagle] [link to this post]

Openreach and Wholesale are totally different companies . Openreach are the engineering one who provide the FTTC service between you and the exchange, at which point they hand it over to their customers.

The two customers currently taking live FTTC handover are BT Wholesale and TalkTalk.

The DLM on FTTC is running on the DSLAM in the cabinet, which is OR property, unlike the DSLAM/MSANs in the exchange which have always been BT Wholesale (with BTw DLM) or LLU.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User paul1360
(member) Tue 28-Jun-11 08:57:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok had BT OR Eng out again today as I told you in earlier post. He has not long gone and found that I had been taken off interleaver??? to fast path??? (not sure on terms) and all test's he carried out I had no errors or any problems and so had my Profile reset back to 38717 & 10000 but he still said to heck with it and replaced my modem as well. Now my profile had been lowered and he had to ring someone to reset it, I did ask him who he spoke to about resetting my profile but alas told me he was not able to tell me si I never pushed him, also he was a new 1 to me and had not been here drinking my coffee like a lot of the others. Now maybe someone on here would know if being off interleaved would make a difference or not?
Speed still up and running A ok

iechyd da

Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 28-Jun-11 09:22:21
Print Post

[re: paul1360] [link to this post]

Interleaved is used on a line which is otherwise OK but subject to bursts of noise which severely corrupt the data packets.

On fastpath, the trashed data packets would need to be re-transmitted thus decreasing the effective speed.

Interleaved "spreads the data out" along the time axis (or shuffles a block of packets if you like), thus a burst of noise will put a little bit of corruption into a lot of data packets, and the error correction algorithms in the modem can recover it.

The "shuffling" and processing takes time, so interleaved will add (typically) 10-15mSec to your pings, but will increase the effective rate of data transfer as no (well, a lot fewer) re-transmits are needed.

eta- more here

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed

Edited by billford (Tue 28-Jun-11 10:09:11)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Jun-11 11:22:34
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I like Kitz's explanation of interleaving.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jun-11 22:03:28
Print Post

Now my profile had been lowered and he had to ring someone to reset it, I did ask him who he spoke to about resetting my profile but alas told me he was not able to tell me si I never pushed him

So it seems I was right about the whole calling for a reset thing, the folk the engineer called were the Openreach FTTC support team, who deal with provision and repair issues.
I wonder if Andyboigsi wants the number ? smile

Standard User paul1360
(member) Wed 29-Jun-11 07:49:11
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Ok so in effect it's the same as HD on a TV I & P. So would that effect the speed then???
As I said he wouldn't give me the number, You know it Zarjaz???

iechyd da

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Jun-11 18:47:46
Print Post

Yes, I know the number, but they only deal with Openreach employees !

Standard User Croftie
(regular) Wed 29-Jun-11 19:09:27
Print Post

I'm trying to get my profile reset after it dropped following downtime caused by "maintenance and upgrades". I spoke to someone from high level complaints and they said reach (I presume he meant openreach) were having trouble running remote tests on my cuircuit and they are trying to fix that without sending out an engineer. So he is going to phone back when he gets an update.

My mate saw an openreach engineer working on the fiber cab last week, as I understand it they don't normally need to open that. Could there be a fault in the fiber cab or am I being stalled?
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Jun-11 19:15:10
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

TBH, I couldn't say without knowing the full SP. Good luck anyways.

Standard User Croftie
(regular) Wed 29-Jun-11 21:02:19
Print Post

Whta's SP?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to