General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 28-Jun-11 14:44:56
Print Post

Re: 8200M suitable for UK's FTTC?

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
It does though suggest that the unit has routing ability otherwise there is no point having a multi port switch built in

A business VDSL service could easily offer multiple static IPs in a "bridged" mode.

A modem only would do this fine, with its 4 ports.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 28-Jun-11 14:56:34
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
In reply to a post by MHC:
BT are compliant with G.993.2 and use Profile 8C at present, but with the future doubling of speeds you would need to be sure that the profile BT plan to use is supported by the modem (I believe it may be 30A)

17a.
The 8200M supports 17a (as does the 8200N, not surprisingly).

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Jun-11 14:56:51
Print Post

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by meditator:
I must admit that, when I read its main features on the Billion webpage, I assumed that the "4-port switch" entailed a router. Of course, retrospectively, there's no reason why it should. However, I don't think it'd worry me too much if it doesn't, as in the UK marketplace there are plenty of suitable, separate routers from which to choose.
As it comes, no NAT, no wireless, no hardware firewall. Hanging a router/WAP off it loses a port from the router switch. Could you still access the modem stats?

I suppose if you want to run a "Guest" service off a second 8200M port there is a use for it. Otherwise what's the point?

Surely the 8200N is what most domestic users need?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 28-Jun-11 15:42:38)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 28-Jun-11 15:07:57
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

BT are compliant with G.993.2 and use Profile 8C at present, but with the future doubling of speeds you would need to be sure that the profile BT plan to use is supported by the modem (I believe it may be 30A)
Can anyone confirm whether the current OR modem will handle the doubled speeds, or will they have to supply a new one (and no doubt charge for it if you're not with Infinity)?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 28-Jun-11 15:42:17
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
Can anyone confirm whether the current OR modem will handle the doubled speeds, or will they have to supply a new one (and no doubt charge for it if you're not with Infinity)?

No idea, but the inside looks like an HG610 with just two RG45 connectors and drivers missing - the HG610 works with profile 17A

There is no information on the Huawei site - I have looked previously.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jun-11 19:55:54
Print Post

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by meditator:
Surely, it's only going to be gamers and the like who are going to be super-critical about the line speed?

So, just how much slower was the Billion 8200M compared to the Openreach modem?

Something else I haven't mentioned is reliability. There's increasing evidence that the Openreach modem is poorly designed, at least from the thermal point of view. More and more people are having to have them replaced, which clearly is not a good sign. Possibly, the Billion device is better in that regard? Perhaps also it'll be possible for the user to get the line stats from the Billion device, whereas we know that that's not the case with the Openreach device?

1) And obsessives like me and others here wink.

2) 12% slower than the BTO kit.

3) The BTO modem is a pile of pony and I cannot wait to be shut of it. I'm on my third one in 6-7 months.

The 8200M is a modem and the 8200N is a modem/router

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Tue 28-Jun-11 20:53:54
Print Post

No idea, but the inside looks like an HG610 with just two RG45 connectors and drivers missing - the HG610 works with profile 17A

I'm sure I read somewhere that the OR badged VDSL modem is a hobbled Huawei HG612. (It would be useful to have a definitive statement from someone who actually knows. smile )

EDIT: Ah, yes, I've just found it. asbokid forked the The BT FTTC line stats thread on Wed 22-Jun-11 @ 23:34:23 by changing the subject line to be "re-enabling web interface on HG612". That should allow those interested to find the relevant posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Edited by burakkucat (Tue 28-Jun-11 21:21:17)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 28-Jun-11 21:16:31
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burakkucat:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the OR badged VDSL modem is a hobbled Huawei HG612. (It would be useful to have a definitive statement from someone who actually knows. smile )

It certainly is a hobbled HG612 - which is very similar (same board and component layout) as the HG610. I have seen inside and also have the box they are supplied in which states it is an HG612.

Definitive enough?

M H C

Standard User burakkucat
(member) Tue 28-Jun-11 21:26:12
Print Post

Definitive enough?
Sure. Especially if you work at Grimbledon Down . . . er, I mean Martlesham Heath. wink

While you were composing the above, I was trying to find some other posts that I vaguely remembered. I've now added the details to my previous post.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Edited by burakkucat (Tue 28-Jun-11 21:27:03)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 28-Jun-11 22:41:49
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
Definitive enough?
Sure. Especially if you work at Grimbledon Down . . . er, I mean Martlesham Heath. wink

While you were composing the above, I was trying to find some other posts that I vaguely remembered. I've now added the details to my previous post.

Never worked their ! However, quite a few people based there worked for me.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to