General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 27-Jun-11 17:48:50
Print Post

8200M suitable for UK's FTTC?

[link to this post]

I see that Billion now have a VDSL2 modem-router on the market - the 8200M. See here:-

http://www.billion.uk.com/product/vdsl/8200m.htm

Anyone know if this would be suitable as a replacement for Openreach's default modem?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 27-Jun-11 18:17:52
Print Post

Re: 8200M suitable for UK's FTTC?

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

BT are compliant with G.993.2 and use Profile 8C at present, but with the future doubling of speeds you would need to be sure that the profile BT plan to use is supported by the modem (I believe it may be 30A)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Jun-11 22:04:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by meditator:
I see that Billion now have a VDSL2 modem-router on the market - the 8200M. See here:-

http://www.billion.uk.com/product/vdsl/8200m.htm

Anyone know if this would be suitable as a replacement for Openreach's default modem?

It is a modem ONLY; the modem/router will be 8200N.

I tested one of these a few months ago and was less than impressed as it downloaded at less than my BTO modem does.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Jun-11 23:18:40
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
BT are compliant with G.993.2 and use Profile 8C at present, but with the future doubling of speeds you would need to be sure that the profile BT plan to use is supported by the modem (I believe it may be 30A)

17a.
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jun-11 11:36:45
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

I'm surprised to learn from you that it's a modem only, as its product information at the Billion website specifically states that it incorporates a 4-port Ethernet switch. Are you certain we're discussing the self same piece of kit?

I take on board what you and others have now stated, but I'm wondering if, in your own assessment of this, you've been looking for the very best speeds and nothing much else. For example, BT may well be planning to double the top FTTC speed in due course but few people will be able to take advantage of it. My guess is that only those situated 100m or less from their cabinet will benefit. For others, the increases will be minimal.

Also, much depends on one's view of the speed obtained under FTTC. For most people, I would think that they wouldn't quibble in getting anything from about 20M bps upward (since the average that people currently get on ADSL Max/ADSL2 is about 4M bps). Surely, it's only going to be gamers and the like who are going to be super-critical about the line speed?

So, just how much slower was the Billion 8200M compared to the Openreach modem?

Something else I haven't mentioned is reliability. There's increasing evidence that the Openreach modem is poorly designed, at least from the thermal point of view. More and more people are having to have them replaced, which clearly is not a good sign. Possibly, the Billion device is better in that regard? Perhaps also it'll be possible for the user to get the line stats from the Billion device, whereas we know that that's not the case with the Openreach device?
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jun-11 11:40:18
Print Post

I'm surprised to learn from you that it's a modem only, as its product information at the Billion website specifically states that it incorporates a 4-port Ethernet switch. Are you certain we're discussing the self same piece of kit?
A switch is not the same as a router.
Standard User Ribble
(member) Tue 28-Jun-11 12:28:45
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

It does though suggest that the unit has routing ability otherwise there is no point having a multi port switch built in
Standard User ggremlin
(member) Tue 28-Jun-11 12:43:45
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

one reason for multiple ports, without routing:
you can use two of them back to back as an ethernet extender,
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jun-11 12:48:59
Print Post

Perhaps, but there is no mention of a firewall or NAT, which is present on most, if not all, routers..
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jun-11 14:18:20
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

I must admit that, when I read its main features on the Billion webpage, I assumed that the "4-port switch" entailed a router. Of course, retrospectively, there's no reason why it should. However, I don't think it'd worry me too much if it doesn't, as in the UK marketplace there are plenty of suitable, separate routers from which to choose.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 28-Jun-11 14:44:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ribble:
It does though suggest that the unit has routing ability otherwise there is no point having a multi port switch built in

A business VDSL service could easily offer multiple static IPs in a "bridged" mode.

A modem only would do this fine, with its 4 ports.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 28-Jun-11 14:56:34
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

17a.
The 8200M supports 17a (as does the 8200N, not surprisingly).

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Jun-11 14:56:51
Print Post

I must admit that, when I read its main features on the Billion webpage, I assumed that the "4-port switch" entailed a router. Of course, retrospectively, there's no reason why it should. However, I don't think it'd worry me too much if it doesn't, as in the UK marketplace there are plenty of suitable, separate routers from which to choose.
As it comes, no NAT, no wireless, no hardware firewall. Hanging a router/WAP off it loses a port from the router switch. Could you still access the modem stats?

I suppose if you want to run a "Guest" service off a second 8200M port there is a use for it. Otherwise what's the point?

Surely the 8200N is what most domestic users need?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 28-Jun-11 15:42:38)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 28-Jun-11 15:07:57
Print Post

Can anyone confirm whether the current OR modem will handle the doubled speeds, or will they have to supply a new one (and no doubt charge for it if you're not with Infinity)?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 28-Jun-11 15:42:17
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
Can anyone confirm whether the current OR modem will handle the doubled speeds, or will they have to supply a new one (and no doubt charge for it if you're not with Infinity)?

No idea, but the inside looks like an HG610 with just two RG45 connectors and drivers missing - the HG610 works with profile 17A

There is no information on the Huawei site - I have looked previously.

M H C

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jun-11 19:55:54
Print Post

Surely, it's only going to be gamers and the like who are going to be super-critical about the line speed?

So, just how much slower was the Billion 8200M compared to the Openreach modem?

Something else I haven't mentioned is reliability. There's increasing evidence that the Openreach modem is poorly designed, at least from the thermal point of view. More and more people are having to have them replaced, which clearly is not a good sign. Possibly, the Billion device is better in that regard? Perhaps also it'll be possible for the user to get the line stats from the Billion device, whereas we know that that's not the case with the Openreach device?

1) And obsessives like me and others here wink.

2) 12% slower than the BTO kit.

3) The BTO modem is a pile of pony and I cannot wait to be shut of it. I'm on my third one in 6-7 months.

The 8200M is a modem and the 8200N is a modem/router

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Tue 28-Jun-11 20:53:54
Print Post

No idea, but the inside looks like an HG610 with just two RG45 connectors and drivers missing - the HG610 works with profile 17A

I'm sure I read somewhere that the OR badged VDSL modem is a hobbled Huawei HG612. (It would be useful to have a definitive statement from someone who actually knows. smile )

EDIT: Ah, yes, I've just found it. asbokid forked the The BT FTTC line stats thread on Wed 22-Jun-11 @ 23:34:23 by changing the subject line to be "re-enabling web interface on HG612". That should allow those interested to find the relevant posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Edited by burakkucat (Tue 28-Jun-11 21:21:17)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 28-Jun-11 21:16:31
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burakkucat:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the OR badged VDSL modem is a hobbled Huawei HG612. (It would be useful to have a definitive statement from someone who actually knows. smile )

It certainly is a hobbled HG612 - which is very similar (same board and component layout) as the HG610. I have seen inside and also have the box they are supplied in which states it is an HG612.

Definitive enough?

M H C

Standard User burakkucat
(member) Tue 28-Jun-11 21:26:12
Print Post

Definitive enough?
Sure. Especially if you work at Grimbledon Down . . . er, I mean Martlesham Heath. wink

While you were composing the above, I was trying to find some other posts that I vaguely remembered. I've now added the details to my previous post.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Edited by burakkucat (Tue 28-Jun-11 21:27:03)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 28-Jun-11 22:41:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
Definitive enough?
Sure. Especially if you work at Grimbledon Down . . . er, I mean Martlesham Heath. wink

While you were composing the above, I was trying to find some other posts that I vaguely remembered. I've now added the details to my previous post.

Never worked their ! However, quite a few people based there worked for me.

M H C

Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jun-11 23:29:32
Print Post

Roberto et al,

Yes, having now looked up the 8200N on the Billion site, you're right, it's the 8200N that's the more suitable. The trouble is I started this topic having come across the 8200M in isolation during a Google search. At the time I wasn't aware of an 8200N model.

Would you now say, then, that the 8200N would be a suitable replacement for the Openreach default modem plus a router of choice? Ignore for the moment that the Billion may or may not render slower Internet speed than the aforementioned. And has anyone found that the 8200N can be telnetted, to get the line statistics, or whether the line's SNR can be tweaked?
Standard User asbokid
(newbie) Tue 28-Jun-11 23:50:44
Print Post

You will be delighted to learn that the HG612 runs Linux (2.6 kernel). The engine of the modem/router is a Broadcom BCM6368 which is driven by a dual core MIPS32. I've proudly built a few kernels for it. None of them work of course!

The BT Infinity modem is a re-badged Huawei HG612. There is a PCB photo here.[1]

The Huawei HG612 is based on the Broadcom BCM6368/BCM6306 Residential VDSL2/ADSL2+ Gateway System on a Chip (SOC) solution. [2]

The BCM6368 "combines a VDSL2/ADSL2+ transceiver and AFE with a high-performance multicore MIPS32 CPU, ATM/PTM hardware SAR, hardware packet-processing accelerator, Gigabit Ethernet switch core with four 10/100 Ethernet PHYs and dual GMII interfaces, dual USB Host/Device, multichannel TDM/PCM bus, parallel expansion bus supporting CardBus, and mini-PCI into a single high-performance monolithic device." [3]

"The VDSL2/ADSL2+ transceiver delivers 100 Mbps downstream and 50 Mbps upstream (100 Mbps upstream with external AFE), enhanced QoS for IPTV video, dual-latency framing, ATM or PTM physical layer, DSL channel bonding, and embedded operations channels for remote management of the CPE." [4]

The firmware contains a MIPS Linux kernel, and a similar set of user applications detailed for another Broadcom-based device known as the Neuf Box [5].

Looking at the photo from [1] and shown towards the top left of the modem PCB, between the word 'INTERNET' and the heatsink of the Broadcom IC, are ten solder pads.[6] These are arranged in two rows of five pads. The lower row of those pads are labelled {TCK, TRST, TDO, TDI and TMS} This identifies them as the test access port (TAP) of the JTAG interface to the board. [7]

There is a proprietary MIPS extension to JTAG known as EJTAG, and this is supported by the Broadcom BCM6368. Details of the EJTAG interface are provided at [8].

Using the JTAG to gain access to the embedded code on routers and modems is described at [9].

The uppermost row of five solder pads, just above the JTAG port, has pads labelled {RX, VCC, GND, TX} This identifies them as header pins for a UART (async serial) interface which the BCM6368 also provides and can be used to gain a serial console.[10] This is what you burbles out of the UART when you boot the HG612..

Welcome to minicom 2.4

OPTIONS: I18n
Compiled on Jan 25 2010, 07:02:36.
Port /dev/ttyUSB0
--------------

CFE version 1.0.37-102.6 for BCM96368 (32bit,SP,BE)
Build Date: Mon Mar 2 15:45:35 CST 2009 ([email protected])
Copyright (C) 2000-2008 Broadcom Corporation.

Parallel flash device: name MX29LV640BT, id 0x22c9, size 8192KB
CPU type 0x2A031: 400MHz, Bus: 160MHz, Ref: 64MHz
CPU running TP0
Total memory: 33554432 bytes (32MB)
Boot Address 0xb8000000

Board IP address : 192.168.1.1:ffffff00
Host IP address : 192.168.1.100
Gateway IP address :
Run from flash/host (f/h) : f
Default host run file name : vmlinux
Default host flash file name : bcm963xx_fs_kernel
Boot delay (0-9 seconds) : 3
Boot image (0=latest, 1=previous) : 0
Board Id (0-4) : 96368MVWG
Number of MAC Addresses (1-32) : 11
Base MAC Address : 00:e0:fc:09:09:09
PSI Size (1-64) KBytes : 64
Main Thread Number [0|1] : 0

*** Press any key to stop auto run (3 seconds) ***
Auto run second count down: 0

Support Double system.

Flash boot Flag:
Boot from main system!
Decompression OK!
Entry at 0x8024b000
Closing network.
Disabling Switch ports.
Flushing Receive Buffers...
0 buffers found.
Closing DMA Channels.
Starting program at 0x8024b000
Linux version 2.6.21.5 ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.2.3) #43 Thu Jan 7 10:23:40

ATP_FLASHCBB_InitSector i=1,ulBase=0x00000000

ATP_FLASHCBB_InitSector i=0,ulBase=0xB87F0000
Flash 0 at 0xb8000000
Size : 8 MB
Regions : 2
0 : 0x007f0000 - 0x00002000 * 8
1 : 0x00000000 - 0x00010000 * 127
CHIP96368 prom init
CPU revision is: 0002a031
Determined physical RAM map:
memory: 01f00000 @ 00000000 (usable)
On node 0 totalpages: 7936
DMA zone: 32 pages used for memmap
DMA zone: 0 pages reserved
DMA zone: 4064 pages, LIFO batch:0
Normal zone: 30 pages used for memmap
Normal zone: 3810 pages, LIFO batch:0
Built 1 zonelists. Total pages: 7874
Kernel command line: root=31:0 ro noinitrd console=ttyS0,115200
brcm mips: enabling icache and dcache...
Primary instruction cache 64kB, physically tagged, 4-way, linesize 16 bytes.
Primary data cache 32kB, 2-way, linesize 16 bytes.
Synthesized TLB refill handler (21 instructions).
Synthesized TLB load handler fastpath (33 instructions).
Synthesized TLB store handler fastpath (33 instructions).
Synthesized TLB modify handler fastpath (32 instructions).
PID hash table entries: 128 (order: 7, 512 bytes)
Using 200.000 MHz high precision timer.
Dentry cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 2048 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)
Memory: 28852k/31744k available (1841k kernel code, 2892k reserved, 438k data, )
KLOB Pool 1 Initialized: 1048576 bytes <0x80300000 ... 0x80400000>
Calibrating delay loop... 398.95 BogoMIPS (lpj=997376)
Mount-cache hash table entries: 512
NET: Registered protocol family 16
registering PCI controller with io_map_base unset
BLOG v1.0 Initialized
NET: Registered protocol family 8
NET: Registered protocol family 20
Time: MIPS clocksource has been installed.
NET: Registered protocol family 2
IP route cache hash table entries: 128 (order: -3, 512 bytes)
TCP established hash table entries: 1024 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)
TCP bind hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
TCP: Hash tables configured (established 1024 bind 1024)
TCP reno registered
squashfs: version 3.2-r2 (2007/01/15) Phillip Lougher
squashfs: LZMA suppport for slax.org by jro
JFFS2 version 2.2. (C) 2001-2006 Red Hat, Inc.
io scheduler noop registered (default)
PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
NET: Registered protocol family 24
IMQ starting with 3 devices...
IMQ driver loaded successfully.
Hooking IMQ before NAT on PREROUTING.
Hooking IMQ after NAT on POSTROUTING.

===start to init mtd=222========
bcm963xx_mtd driver v2.0

==boot from main kernel==
Registered device mtd[BCM63XX RootFS] dev[0] Flash[0xb8010100,2678784]

===bcm=mtdaufs.size=393216========
Registered device mtd[BCM63XX AuxFS] dev[1] Flash[0xb8790000,393216]
bhal: bhal_init entry

Led_module_init ok<6>Serial: BCM63XX driver $Revision: 1.1 $
ttyS0 at MMIO 0xb0000100 (irq = 10) is a BCM63XX
ttyS1 at MMIO 0xb0000120 (irq = 11) is a BCM63XX
bcmxtmrt: Broadcom BCM6368B2 ATM/PTM Network Device v0.1 Jan 7 2010 10:22:38
GACT probability on
Mirror/redirect action on
u32 classifier
Actions configured
Netfilter messages via NETLINK v0.30.
nf_conntrack version 0.5.0 (248 buckets, 1984 max)
TCP cubic registered
NET: Registered protocol family 1
NET: Registered protocol family 17
NET: Registered protocol family 15
Bridge LAN vlan registered
Ebtables v2.0 registered
802.1Q VLAN Support v1.8 Ben Greear <[email protected]>
All bugs added by David S. Miller <[email protected]>
VFS: Mounted root (squashfs filesystem) readonly.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 92k freed
init started: BusyBox v1.9.1 (2010-01-07 10:24:29 CST)
starting pid 57, tty '': '/etc/init.d/rcS'
RCS DONE
starting pid 59, tty '': '/bin/sh'

BusyBox v1.9.1 (2010-01-07 10:24:29 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

-/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
Loading drivers and kernel modules...

pktflow: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
Broadcom Packet Flow Cache learning via BLOG enabled.
Created Proc FS /procfs/fcache
Constructed Broadcom Packet Flow Cache v0.1 Aug 28 2009 07:52:33
Broadcom Packet CMF (Experimental) Char Driver v0.1 Aug 28 2009 07:52:30 Regist>
Broadcom Packet CMF (Experimental) [6368-B2] v0.1 Aug 28 2009 07:52:30 Loaded
bcmxtmcfg: bcmxtmcfg_init entry
adsl: adsl_init entry
Broadcom BCM6368B2 Ethernet Network Device v0.1 Jan 7 2010 10:22:27
KLOB extended to 2 pools
dgasp: kerSysRegisterDyingGaspHandler: eth0 registered
Broadcom Packet CMF (Experimental) SWC RESET.
Broadcom Packet CMF (Experimental) SWC INITIALIZED.
KLOB extended to 3 pools
KLOB extended to 4 pools
KLOB extended to 5 pools
KLOB extended to 6 pools
KLOB extended to 7 pools
KLOB extended to 8 pools
Broadcom Packet CMF (Experimental) Forwarder Net Device 0 v0.1 Aug 28 2009 07:5d
Broadcom Packet CMF (Experimental) Forwarder Net Device 1 v0.1 Aug 28 2009 07:5d
Broadcom Packet CMF (Experimental) ENABLED.
eth0.2: MAC Address: B4:82:FE:B7:91:7E
eth0.3: MAC Address: B4:82:FE:B7:91:7E
eth0.4: MAC Address: B4:82:FE:B7:91:7E
eth0.5: MAC Address: B4:82:FE:B7:91:7E
p8021ag: p8021ag_init entry
Waiting for cli start!|Config File is error. Havn't start or end tag.
Now read the backup configuration!!!
The second Config File is error. Havn't start or end tag.
/read default config file!!!!!!!!!!!
2000-1-1 0:0:3 Warning 10400 KLOB Pool 1 Initialized: 1048576 bytes <0x80300000>

TSP_DBGetPara ok ulPort = 23
CWMP app version: V100R002C05B021 cwmp app V1.2.3.0.0
CWMP stk version: V100R002C05B021 cwmp stk V1.2.3.0.0
bootok
Not save certification!!!
ConfigDefaultSsl return: 0

prepare server ok!!!
main: About to load source plugins
library_load: start plugin_source/libbtagent.so
library_load: success
library_load: start plugin_source/libhuawei.so
library_load: start plugin_source/libprobe.so
main: Loaded source plugins
xdslCtl_GetVersioBcmAdsl_Initialize=0xC00F066C, g_pFnNotifyCallback=0xC011F874
n success
Clocks for QPROC and AFE are being aligned with step through ...
AFE is aligned, i = 051, PhaseValue = -050, PhaseCntl = 0x3FCD0000
QPROC is aligned, i = 054, PhaseValue = -050, PhaseCntl = 0x3FCD3FCA
Clocks for QPROC and AFE are aligned with syn_status AFE = 0x70, QPROC = 0x70
AFE phase control reg @0xb0f570f8 default actual = 0x0021C38F, exp = 0x0021c38f
QPRC phase control reg @0xb0f5f0c0 default actual = 0x0421C38F, exp = 0x0421c38f
pSdramPHY=0xA1FFFFF8, 0xBEF75ED5 0xFA7C18FF
*** XfaceOffset: 0x5FF90 => 0x5FF90 ***

Welcome Visiting Huawei Home Gateway
Copyright by Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Login:*** PhySdramSize got adjusted: 0xBFEDC => 0xDF908 ***
AdslCoreSharedMemInit: shareMemAvailable=132816
AdslCoreHwReset: AdslOemDataAddr = 0xA1FA8B7C
dgasp: kerSysRegisterDyingGaspHandler: dsl0 registered
bcmxtmrt: MAC address: b4 82 fe b7 91 7f
device eth0.2 entered promiscuous mode
device eth0.3 entered promiscuous mode
device eth0.4 entered promiscuous mode
device eth0.5 entered promiscuous mode
device eth0 is not a slave of br0
atp: cur kernel version:[2.6.21.5]
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
nf_conntrack_rtsp v0.6.21 loading
nf_nat_rtsp v0.6.21 loading
ptm1.101: add 01:00:5e:00:00:01 mcast address to master interface
bridge: can't decode speed from ptm1.101: 0
ptm1.101: dev_set_promiscuity(master, 1)
device ptm1 entered promiscuous mode
device ptm1.101 entered promiscuous mode
br0: port 5(ptm1.101) entering learning state
br0: topology change detected, propagating
br0: port 5(ptm1.101) entering forwarding state
ptm1.101: dev_set_promiscuity(master, -1)
device ptm1 left promiscuous mode
device ptm1.101 left promiscuous mode
br0: port 5(ptm1.101) entering disabled state
bridge: can't decode speed from ptm1.101: 0
ptm1.101: dev_set_promiscuity(master, 1)
device ptm1 entered promiscuous mode
device ptm1.101 entered promiscuous mode
br1: port 1(ptm1.101) entering learning state
device eth0.5 left promiscuous mode
br0: port 4(eth0.5) entering disabled state
device eth0.5 entered promiscuous mode
ptm1.301: add 01:00:5e:00:00:01 mcast address to master interface

V100R002C05 DHCP Client V3.03

DNS Server version: V100R002C05B021SP01 dns server V1.2.5.0.3 debug
iptables: Bad rule (does a matching rule exist in that chain?)
Broadcom Packet CMF (Experimental) ENABLED.
Broadcom Packet Flow Cache learning via BLOG enabled.

Fast bridging set 1.
RTNETLINK answers: No such file or directory
Action 4 device imq0 ifindex 2
Broadcom Packet Flow Cache learning via BLOG disabled.
main: about to connect to firmware inform server 10.160.170.206
Error connecting 128 - Network is unreachable
Could not connect to firmware inform server
main: About to load transport plugins
library_load: start plugin_transport/libsec.so
main: Loaded transport plugins
main: About to load parse plugins
library_load: start plugin_parse/libxml.so
main: Loaded parse plugins
sh: cannot create proc/sys/net/netfilter/rtsp_enable: nonexistent directory
sh: cannot create proc/sys/net/netfilter/pptp_enable: nonexistent directory

Timezone is wrong in Function: SntpTzOrderByNames, Line: 323.

The string of TimeZone exceed in Function: ATP_SNTP_SetVar, Line: 678.

Sntp doesn't enable!
sh: usbmount: not found
Dropbear sshd starting 2 /etc/handy_dss_key...
[716] Jan 01 00:00:14 Running in background
Read upnp enable return: 0.

xtmcfgdrv: port mirroring config.

xtmcfgdrv: port mirroring config.
Stop mirror atm package to eth0.5
2000-1-1 0:0:15 Notice 1 System up

br1: topology change detected, propagating
br1: port 1(ptm1.101) entering forwarding state

Hopefully there's something interesting there for an idle Linux hacker!

[1] http://www.nodomain.org/vdslmodem.jpg
[2] http://www.broadcom.com/products/Broadband-Carrier-A...
[3] http://www.icmaster.com/Datasheet.ashx?mfg=4128&part...
[4] http://www.broadcom.com/products/Broadband-Carrier-A...
[5] http://www.efixo.com/neufbox4/freesoftware/
[6] http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/4085/dscf2240uart...
[7] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Test_Action_Group
[8] http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/JTAG
[9] http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Jtag
[10] http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8825/dscf2243header...

Edited by asbokid (Wed 29-Jun-11 02:34:04)

Standard User n_s_fletcher
(learned) Sun 02-Jun-13 00:15:49
Print Post

I've recently bought a Billion 8200M to try out as a possible replacement for my current Openreach modem.

My initial tests indicate that when it works it works very well, but I don't think it is 100% compatible with BTInfinity. What I've been finding is that it works well between say 5pm and 9pm, after around 9pm the router disconnects and then refuses to connect to the server. Only going back to the Openreach modem cures the problem, and the line speed drops from around 60Mbps to 14Mbps or less, but gradually comes back to normal with the Openreach modem connected.

Conclusion: Buying a Billion 8200M is a waste of money!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to