General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(regular) Wed 04-Jan-12 12:18:09
Print Post

Re: Saddleworth FTTx Spotting

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Hi James,

Are you able to confirm where PCP 14 is situated?

It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks as though it might be on Oldham Rd, near Lydgate?

Paul.

P.S. Have you seen the link to the December PCP-Postcode checker documents:-

PCP-Postcode Checker

Edited by Bald_Eagle1 (Wed 04-Jan-12 12:20:34)

Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-Jan-12 12:41:04
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

Yes, cab 14 is here - http://g.co/maps/6gs2z

I already had the December PCP report a few weeks ago as we have a BT wholesale login officially.

Thanks

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
(regular) Wed 04-Jan-12 13:16:07
Print Post

Hi James,

Thanks for the confirmation of the location.
It's bad news really.
I already have a poor(ish) FTTC connection from the Oldham exchange (PCP51), but as my next door neighbour (different postcode) is connected to the Saddleworth exchange (apparently PCP14), I was hoping that PCP14 would be closer to my home than the supposed 1000m from PCP51.
However, Google driving directions suggest 2200m (1.4 miles) from PCP14.

I would have then requested a new line from the Saddleworth exchange & had my FTTC connection switched to it.

I don't suppose you know off hand whether or not there are any other FTTC cabinets between PCP14 & say, Huddersfield Rd, Austerlands do you, or point me to a postcode map of the area so that I could check the report myself?

The link to the December PCP was mainly intended for others, so that they could check their own postcodes instead of keep asking you via PMs etc.

Paul.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-Jan-12 13:22:38
Print Post

To be honest BT will not re-route your connection so the cab you are currently fed from is the one you are on full stop. You can't be re-routed to another cabinet or exchange.

Cab 14 is the last cab before the Oldham cabs come in, but further towards Saddleworth cab 4 is on Oldham Road near Clough Lane a bit further down from cab 14 but its all irrelevant as you can't connect to a different cab. - believe me I've tried it where I live as 3 doors up are fed from a cab that has FTTC whereas my house is on a non-FTTC cab and not planned.

James

James
ADSL24 Broadband
(regular) Wed 04-Jan-12 13:40:03
Print Post

Thanks James,

Apparently, when the phone line was installed in this house many years ago (probably even before ADSL days), there was a customer choice of 0161 (Oldham) or 01457 (Saddleworth).
I was thinking of an additional line, cancel the current FTTC & order a new FTTC connection on the new line.

Now I know the distance is simply too far, it doesn't matter anyway.
It WAS just wishful thinking frown

Only 3 doors away? What a bummer, especially in your line of work!
Being that close, couldn't you share a wireless N connection with them (athough up here, sometimes a next door neighbour could be 500m or more away)

Paul.
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-Jan-12 13:41:49
Print Post

It's semi detached so not a far distance however I don't know the people up the road so not an option for me.

James

James
ADSL24 Broadband
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Wed 04-Jan-12 18:26:38
Print Post

We're in the process of moving, and with only one exchange in the county where FTTC is deployed, and even that only covered a third of the town, it kinda limited the choices. FTTC joined "school catchment" on the list of "must-haves" when hunting a place to live.
(regular) Wed 04-Jan-12 18:37:55
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Glad to see you have your priorities sorted smile

TBH, Estate Agents are now selling houses (or deciding selling prices) based upon what broadband speeds are available.

If I ever move, which is quite unlikely, I will certainly investigate what broadband services are available.

Although I consider my FTTC service to be poor (compared to what it was at first), I just couldn't go back to a flaky 1 Mb ADSL service, regardless of how nice the view of open countryside might be.
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Jan-12 19:36:05
Print Post

Finally we see progress on cabinet 1, the one to which we are connected:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2l975ty&s=5

It looks like they've created a new joint in the ground (as they just ripped a part of the pavement out, not a usual manhole covering) and you can see copper link feeding in to the Fibre cab. The Fibre link has already gone in to the cab last November as has the power I think.

So, we may be getting somewhere now...

James

James
ADSL24 Broadband

Edited by Adsl24 (Sat 21-Jan-12 19:38:19)

Standard User nickcal
(newbie) Sun 22-Jan-12 16:53:03
Print Post

went past Cabinet 10 the other day and they were digging up the trench between the old and new cabinets?

any idea one when it will be live?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to