General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rtcw
(newbie) Sat 23-Jul-11 16:03:18
Print Post

When will BT announce next phase fibre roll out?

[link to this post]

As far as I know, there's only fibre roll out information till March 2012 and nothing else after that.

I wanted to know when they're revealing the information of fibre roll out in summer 2012? 'Cause my exchange might be one of 'em.
Standard User Ribble
(member) Sat 23-Jul-11 16:09:41
Print Post

Re: When will BT announce next phase fibre roll out?

[re: rtcw] [link to this post]

I think the short answer is when they get round to it. Most companies like to make big announcement when financial results are due.

Edited by Ribble (Sat 23-Jul-11 16:10:04)

Standard User DRW
(committed) Sun 24-Jul-11 12:33:34
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

I think BT have already announced their 2012 rollout in that the current dates will be slipped by 3 months every 3 months way into 2014.

The less they announce the less people will be disappointed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 25-Jul-11 10:52:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by rtcw:
As far as I know, there's only fibre roll out information till March 2012 and nothing else after that.

I wanted to know when they're revealing the information of fibre roll out in summer 2012? 'Cause my exchange might be one of 'em.

it seems BT arent capable of thinking./planning past a year or 2, short termist company.

I think they should announce entire rollout plan so every area knows where they stand but a company like BT wont do that.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Jul-11 14:27:54
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

So that their competition know exactly what they're doing and plan accordingly to jump in first? This isn't a state monopoly any more. They have to compete.

As a former employee I'm aware of the flaws in BT planning but also know they don't just do it week to week or month to month.

---
Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Jul-11 14:45:01
Print Post

When they can forecast it with any certainty.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 25-Jul-11 16:42:10
Print Post

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

The moans about dates slipping will make them a lot less likely to announce large batches, and only announce once they are more sure about hitting the dates.

It is also possible that priorities may have being switching about based on the levels of take-up of the product, in the different types of areas of the UK.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 25-Jul-11 16:44:18
Print Post

If any firm can only secure firm finding for 12 to 24 months then that is all they can commit too.

If BT are to be forced to announce the entire roll-out plan, what will they be given in return for this information? As a PLC they have a duty to their shareholders.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 26-Jul-11 09:25:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:

it seems BT arent capable of thinking./planning past a year or 2, short termist company.

I think they should announce entire rollout plan so every area knows where they stand but a company like BT wont do that.

You try managing a project the size of the fibre roll-out ...

Geographically diverse, manpower availability always changing, local authorities causing problems, other network faults needing priority resolution, &c &c. It is a massive project with so many variables that cannot be accurately predicted at the start and everything will change as it progresses.

The project plan is almost certainly all there over a 5 year period with product road-maps for the next 10 years - no way is it short term. There is probably more information with approximate dates - but why should BT publish it and give competitors an advantage? In fact why do they need to publish any dates? They could just publish it 1 week before go-live on each exchange.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Jul-11 10:29:12
Print Post

"Are we there yet?"

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 26-Jul-11 11:11:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If BT are to be forced to announce the entire roll-out plan, what will they be given in return for this information? As a PLC they have a duty to their shareholders.

If they had a history of meeting their roll-out schedules, a long-term plan would give the appearance of progress or growth. It tells the public and their competitors they are moving up. This suggests future growth and encourages more shareholder investment and/or confidence.

Only imho of course.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM ~ Connection Data
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Jul-11 12:02:15
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

They have been presentations of road maps, if I recall at various meetings around the Digital Britain debate, and agreemenet with Virgin Media at these that commercially two thirds coverage is feasible with no extra help. That is the long term plan, short and sweet.

If a council refuses to let BT open a hole to fix a collapsed duct in a road for a few weeks or months, then that can through a spanner in the works for an exchange that may be miles away.

Remember back in 2000, ADSL roll-out was on just 400 exchanges, and it was not till 2004 did coverage really get big. How long since the first FTTC went live?

Standard User izools
(experienced) Tue 26-Jul-11 14:13:26
Print Post

Remember back in 2000, ADSL roll-out was on just 400 exchanges, and it was not till 2004 did coverage really get big. How long since the first FTTC went live?

Really? I've had ADSL for 11 years laugh

No one else knew what it was at the time and thought I was getting confused between KB and Kb when stating my download speed tongue

Delivered over 5GHz 802.11N via a Netgear DGND3300
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 26-Jul-11 14:21:11
Print Post

If a council refuses to let BT open a hole to fix a collapsed duct in a road for a few weeks or months, then that can through a spanner in the works for an exchange that may be miles away.

One example around here: BT needed to bring a lorry in to offload, at most a 1 hour task ... and BT would have done it in the very early morning with manual Stop/Go signs, but the council said no and insisted on a short term road closure, with lights &c and a 13 week notification period.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Jul-11 14:34:25
Print Post

[re: izools] [link to this post]

1998 a small trial area in parts of London. Earlier video only trials in the Colchester area

April 2000 first commercial trials, which is 11 years and a couple of months ago.

Standard User izools
(experienced) Tue 26-Jul-11 15:30:54
Print Post

1998 a small trial area in parts of London. Earlier video only trials in the Colchester area

April 2000 first commercial trials, which is 11 years and a couple of months ago.

Yep, Exeter was enabled mid-2000.

If I remember rightly it was £50 PCM for 576K, plus about £150 install - the engineer repalced our old LJU socket for an NTE5, SSFP, and a dedicated Cat-5 RJ11 extension in the study.

To a horrid green Alcatel USB modem that was about as stable as a drunk nun.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Jul-11 21:02:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by izools:

Ha... NTL (CableTel) in Guildford area launched cable modems in summer 1999, and I got onto the system in Sept 1999. 512k download / 128k upload.

I looked at BT's ADSL offering, but it was as you say USB Alcatel, so went with ethernet.

Nowadays I'd not touch VM in any area where I can get 10mbps or higher DSL smile smile

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Jul-11 21:29:07
Print Post

Had a sweet connection, 2Meg connection from Demon with ethernet router. Guinea pigs really, as the network would shut down for maintenance some nights.

Standard User izools
(experienced) Wed 27-Jul-11 09:03:04
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by izools:

Ha... NTL (CableTel) in Guildford area launched cable modems in summer 1999, and I got onto the system in Sept 1999. 512k download / 128k upload.

I looked at BT's ADSL offering, but it was as you say USB Alcatel, so went with ethernet.

Nowadays I'd not touch VM in any area where I can get 10mbps or higher DSL smile smile

Interesting what you say about VM - my new flat I can get ADSL 2+ or Virgin and I've opted for Virgin; and get a steady 50 Down / 5 Up all day every day; no problems atall. Exeter had severe capacity probelms until about 18 months ago and since then (touch wood...) it's been flawless.

Should be able to get FTTP (yes, P) by the end of September though; OR have already added a fibre manifold to the BT manhole outside the flats I've just moved to. I would imagine FTTC would be pretty good, too, as the cab is just outside and the wiring in the block is proper CAT5, not the usual CW1308 cable OR use.

Yeaaaaah laugh

Edited by izools (Wed 27-Jul-11 09:05:23)

Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Jul-11 15:05:31
Print Post

I think with the DOCSIS3.0 overlay they have capacity problems are significantly reduced (for now...). I notice very little slowdown on my VM 50meg connection at home.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Jul-11 19:25:34
Print Post

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mr_mojo:
I think with the DOCSIS3.0 overlay they have capacity problems are significantly reduced (for now...). I notice very little slowdown on my VM 50meg connection at home.

for download speed I agree, however capacity issues sitll very evident on latency/jitter. Upload speeds reported are clearly shaky as well on the higher tier VM products.

VM need to get 36mbit upstream channels and upstream channel bonding sorted and only then I reckon they can realisticaly compete with FTTC upstream speed. Until then VM will have to limit high upload speeds to their most premium products only.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Sep-11 20:11:13
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
"Are we there yet?"

Looks like you're due in March 2012 (according to the latest BT schedules).
Just one thing.....It seems Brackley exchange isn't actually being upgraded and you'll all be served by the Banbury exchange (a fair way to run the fibres, but I guess BT have worked out it's cheaper than sticking extra equipment into your exchange).
Just don't go pinching all our back-haul wink

At least this way, if you keep an eye on the A422 (for Openreach trucks) your roll-out can't be too far away!

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 40Mbps
UL Sync 10Mbps
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Sep-11 20:27:53
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adebov:
In reply to a post by Andrue:
"Are we there yet?"

Looks like you're due in March 2012 (according to the latest BT schedules).
Just one thing.....It seems Brackley exchange isn't actually being upgraded and you'll all be served by the Banbury exchange (a fair way to run the fibres, but I guess BT have worked out it's cheaper than sticking extra equipment into your exchange).
Just don't go pinching all our back-haul wink

At least this way, if you keep an eye on the A422 (for Openreach trucks) your roll-out can't be too far away!
Lol - my garden almost backs onto that road. My cab will also be the closest to Banbury since it's at the second roundabout. Maybe it will be enabled first laugh

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to