General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 20:48:31
Print Post

Re: Well now I've gone and done it! - Aborted!!!!!!!

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

Exactly; and if I had the same sort of speeds as you, I wouldn't be switching either.
Unfortunately; my line is 5.23km long (or 6.94km - depending whether you believe an actual test or BT's flaky database) so my maximum sync is around 5Mbps down / 1.1Mbps up.
So for me, at least an eight-fold increase in speed (I'm sure to get maximum sync as my line, to the cabinet, will probably be shorter than 200m) with more to come shortly, is too much of a tempation to pass over.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Aug-11 23:24:19
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kamelion:
Legacy pro I've been with BE 5 years now and switched to pro when they dropped it from £40 a month. It's outstanding value for money really and although I have many options open to me (100 meg virgin cable, FTTC from BT etc) I can't justify losing what I have just to get double speeds when I won't use it.

If I had 2.2mbps upload, I'd probably say. My 25db line used to get 2.0mbps upload, but with crosstalk and a massive failure that OpenReach fixed last year, I'm really hoping FTTC arrives soon frown

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Sat 20-Aug-11 23:59:06
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Yes if I were in your position I would go for FTTC too, it just makes sense. Shame BE can't provide it for you.

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Aug-11 09:30:21
Print Post

I think all of this shows that there are people (out there) in larger companies who are either poorly trained, incompetent, or simply don't care.

Very succinctly put.

You can retain a number and move it from Virgin to BT, I have done this many times for punters, it's called a 'number portability' task.

But watch out.....They'll come after you......You've posted a negative comment about BT

It is strange how fanatical some seem to become about there ISP's. I work for the scrotes, but am fully aware how badly wrong they can, and do get it.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Aug-11 09:58:45
Print Post

What's most annoying about all of this (obviously excluding BT's original screw-up) is a friend (connected to the same exchange) ordered Infinity yesterday (migration only, on his existing phone line - so the same as mine, except he doesn't need BT to do a 'return to donor') and his install date is this Friday (so BT can get their act into gear.......when they want to).
He gets his Inifinity six days after ordering.
I get mine 19 days after ordering.
Even the original messed up order had an 18 day lead time.

Apparently BT can give you Infinity within a week of ordering, but if you want a phone line from them, it takes the better part of three weeks frown

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 21-Aug-11 10:07:24
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I think all of this shows that there are people (out there) in larger companies who are either poorly trained, incompetent, or simply don't care.

Very succinctly put.

You can retain a number and move it from Virgin to BT, I have done this many times for punters, it's called a 'number portability' task.
I know you 'can' because Sky did and the Openreach engineer turned up to do it.

I can only think that BTRetail, who presumably would have to order a 'number portability task', either could not or would not do it for their own reasons.

I'm a little concerned about the quality of the wiring the Openreach engineer has left us with however.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Aug-11 10:10:19
Print Post

I got my invite for Infinity the day it went live on my exchange, but waited three weeks before the install (yes that's even doing the install myself). A mate who hadn't registered interest (in the staff deal), finds out from me that it's gone live, and so calls the staff 'Actionline' service, and gets his within a week.

The world isn't a fair place, so it's best not to dwell on these things.

I sincerely hope you find it worth all the effort, when the dust settles.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Aug-11 10:12:16
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I know I'm going to regret this .......... smile

I'm a little concerned about the quality of the wiring the Openreach engineer has left us with however.

In what way ? Can you post some pictures ?

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Aug-11 10:17:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I sincerely hope you find it worth all the effort, when the dust settles.

I'm sure I will.
Even if it ends up being throttled to death (unlikely in the early stages as there are so few customers), there's no way it can be slower than my current ADSL2+ (which gives a stable sync at around 4.6 to 4.8Mbps, but will go as high as 5Mbps but won't hold at that for more than a day or two).

Don't do p2p/Torrents so I would think I'll see decent speeds at all times.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 21-Aug-11 10:18:40
Print Post

smile

I'll have a look this week and let you know wink

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to