General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Aug-11 10:19:29
Print Post

Re: Well now I've gone and done it! - Aborted!!!!!!!

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Cushty.

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Aug-11 14:54:48
Print Post

Re: Well now I've gone and done it! - Aborted!!!!!!!

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Should run close to full speed the vast majority of the time for you then. I've only noticed it running slow (like 12mbit instead of 23mbit that I get) a handful of times mostly in the early evening.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Aug-11 15:34:18
Print Post

Re: Well now I"ve gone and done it! - Aborted!!!!!!!

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

Just to keep the forum updated (and to let others know there are at least two people at BT able to help with these matters); I had a call from BT_Care today (not Paddy, but one of his colleagues).
They have arrange to refund any monies charged as part of the cancelled order (no big surprise there, as they'd have had to do it anyway).
More importantly they've checked on the progress of the new order and all appears to be in good shape (return to donor of my Sky line and activation of Infinity).
So (at present) it all looks good for September 7th.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Aug-11 19:36:54
Print Post

More importantly they've checked on the progress of the new order and all appears to be in good shape (return to donor of my Sky line and activation of Infinity).

My experience of these type installs, is that the engineer turns up, and you still have Sky dial tone on the line. Possibly with a different number from that on your task notes, you go ahead with install anyhow, as the routing will be the same, and hopefully at some point, the exchange staff rerun your jumper to the new PSTN equipment, 'com' their task, and you get your new number also. In reality, I have often ended up traveling to the exchange to do the jumpering myself. But if the engineer who comes to do the FTTC install isn't frames trained, it's no biggie, just ask them to go ahead, as the renumber will happen at some point the same day.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Aug-11 20:03:40
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks; useful information.
It might be useful if BT do go ahead and give me a new number (that way it will be clearly obvious, even to me, it's already been switched from Sky to BT).
I'm not on Sky's own telephone equipment (not to my knowledge anyway) as I've had Sky line rental from well before Sky unbundled our exchange this Spring, so I assume it will be just entries on a keyboard, rather than physically patching cables at the exchange?

Hopefully the engineer will be one driving about 40 miles outside of his normal area smile

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Mon 22-Aug-11 20:06:27)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Aug-11 21:39:58
Print Post

I'm not on Sky's own telephone equipment

Lift the handset and dial 17070, if it is Sky dial tone you'll get an annoying American voice saying,
"Hi, I'm Zoe, I'm here to ensure your phone service is the very best, ...... etc, etc."
If not, it's wholesale dial tone.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Aug-11 21:42:09
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

You know; I haven't even bothered doing the 17070 thing since leaving BT (I just assumed it wouldn't do anything, so I never tried).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Aug-11 20:03:16
Print Post

Well BT are certainly quicker off the mark when billing, compared to actually installing the product.

They've already debited £28 from my bank account for a service which doesn't even go live for another 12 days!
So, based on this (and assuming the same direct debit date each month), I'll be perpetually paying for 12 days of broadband I've never even had.

Still not sure this 2nd attempt will go smoothly (given I've just received a letter from BT saying "someone has told us they're moving to your address on 7th Sept. and have asked us to take over the line"......I've also received a letter from Sky saying "sorry you're moving and leaving us").

OK; BT's office staff might not be the sharpest tools in the box, but surely if I answered the question "how long have you lived at your current address" with the answer "8 years" and that address is the same as the one where the line will be connected, it's not exaclty rocket science to work out I'm not moving. Grrrr.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 26-Aug-11 20:23:49
Print Post

If you are taking your number you had with sky you can still be classed as a "moving customer" as numbers may be ported or a cease and re-provide is in order. I wouldnt worry.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Aug-11 21:24:40
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
If you are taking your number you had with sky you can still be classed as a "moving customer" as numbers may be ported or a cease and re-provide is in order. I wouldnt worry.

I'm hoping this is the case.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to