General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Aug-11 11:59:44
Print Post

Re: Well now I've gone and done it!

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Soz Ade, BT Business Broadband do have an FTTC product. I have fitted plenty, I think MHC on here uses it ?

Standard User nelix01
(member) Sun 07-Aug-11 12:06:08
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yup, they do offer Infinity for Business

Standard User Ribble
(member) Sun 07-Aug-11 12:07:10
Print Post

http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/intern...
Prices for static IP's are listed in the charges schedule at the bottom

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 07-Aug-11 12:15:22
Print Post

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/euf/assets/images/BT/...

pg 13

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User Yerman164
(learned) Sun 07-Aug-11 12:24:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by adebov:
If I had a 20Mbps sync with BE, I wouldn't be changing to Infinity, because it's quite clear that during waking hours a 20Mbps BE ADSL2+ connection will be faster than a 40Mbps BT Infinity connection (and will probably have a lower ping figure, given some of the 52ms speed tests posted on here from Infinity customers).

The only thing a BE connection will be faster at is torrents. I don't use torrents at all and I don't notice any slowdowns on my Infinity connection at any time. Newsgroups download at 4.4 MB/s at any time of the day. Web downloads go as fast as the server you're downloading from allows them to.

As for pings:

http://speedtest.aquiss.net/result/43581/

10ms seems pretty good to me.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Aug-11 13:04:37
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

Originally it said about 16Mbit for FTTC but then once it was installed it changed to match the actual speed we receive.

For ADSL we got about 3-4Mbit.

---
Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Aug-11 13:09:48
Print Post

Without access to more information from the modem/hub it's not possible to get a better idea of what is going on. Not exactly anyone you can call about it i'd imagine.

Over the years we've had plenty of issues with phone lines in this area. The original one to the house was physically broken and unrepairable and we were switched to a different pair entirely. Might explain why after all these years we aren't on the closest cabinet to the house but one 3x further away. The amount of roads BT dug up at the time leaves me thinking we're on some shoddy spare they had to magic out of thin air made out of dodgy copper and good intentions.

Would you have an idea how to improve it or who to call?

---
Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 07-Aug-11 15:02:56
Print Post

although it remains to be seen how ADSL2+ over a stupidly long cable length (about twice as far as the actual distance to the exchange) will be affected by a high-power vDSL signal travelling down another pair in the same multi-core!
Though the shared distance is only from the cabinet of course smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Aug-11 15:57:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by adebov:
If I had a 20Mbps sync with BE, I wouldn't be changing to Infinity, because it's quite clear that during waking hours a 20Mbps BE ADSL2+ connection will be faster than a 40Mbps BT Infinity connection (and will probably have a lower ping figure, given some of the 52ms speed tests posted on here from Infinity customers).

My ping to the BBC on Be was around 26ms but on Infinity it is 12ms, that is even better than Bulldog which was around 14ms.(if I remember correctly). I also get very little variation in speed, regardless of time. Most of my use is in peak time too.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Aug-11 17:39:25
Print Post

[re: Yerman164] [link to this post]

I think there's definately something odd about the TBB speedtester (when testing Infinity connections) as many pings come out around 52ms - could be routing (I don't know) but it's good news that both of you get substantially lower pings.

The apparent evidence BT don't seem to throttle http or Usenet is also good news.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to