General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Aug-11 09:45:05
Print Post

Re: Well now I've gone and done it! - Aborted!!!!!!!

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Please could you explain how Ade could possibly have caused the internal ordering systems and procedures of BT to screw up a SIM provide involving no migration?

Yes I'd also like to know how it was my fault.
My total involvement, up to the point of me telling them to cancel, was placing an online order for both a new phone line and Infinity broadband.
I don't remember clicking the box labelled 'please screw up my order by forgetting to place the Infinity order with Openreach' - maybe it was an opt-out that I didn't notice wink

Of course, using Squirell-logic I can draw an analogy....
Say we both have the same car.
Say yours goes wrong and mine doesn't.
Squirell-logic says it's your fault (because mine is OK) and not the shoddy service of the supplier or manufacturer grin

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware

Edited by adebov (Fri 19-Aug-11 09:46:46)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Aug-11 09:51:09
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Anyway; I've now placed a second order (but not for a SIM provide - I don't have endless holiday dates remaining for more BT mess-ups).
This time I've gone for a transfer of line, but it appears BT can't transfer my line from Sky and allow me to keep the same number (idiots), so I have a transfer booked for September 6th and Infinity booked for the same day.

I wonder what will go wrong this time.

Still can't work out why BT's "systems" won't let me keep the same number - I'm not even on Sky unbundled - it's a BT line connected to BT equipment (so how come BT can't migrate it back).

The "drama" is all BT's own work; I'm simply trying to buy a service from them (and BT seem to be finding yet more ways to prevent this).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Aug-11 09:52:29
Print Post

Ah, maybe it was because the BT system knew you couldn't spell "Squirrel"? So you had to be punished.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Aug-11 09:56:22
Print Post

Still can't work out why BT's "systems" won't let me keep the same number - I'm not even on Sky unbundled - it's a BT line connected to BT equipment (so how come BT can't migrate it back).
Maybe because it's been done as a SIM provide? frown but serious!

I would have just got them to do a Revert to Donor on the line, which doesn't require a home visit, then ordered the migration afterwards.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Aug-11 13:00:55
Print Post

Inaccurate description of what was needed.

You do need to spoonfeed them sometimes wink

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Aug-11 13:02:05
Print Post

Were you dealing with "infinity support" when the cock up occurred or someone else inside the monolith?

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Aug-11 16:50:05
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orly:
Inaccurate description of what was needed.

Pray tell how I am to describe what is needed (for a brand new line with Infinity broadband) any more than placing an online order for a brand new line with Infinity broadband?

If BT can't work out (from placing such an order), especially as clicked the boxes for "I want a new phone line" and "I want Infinity unlimited broadband" (that I want a phone line WITH broadband), they should change their business to something other than telecoms wink

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Aug-11 16:58:51
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orly:
Were you dealing with "infinity support" when the cock up occurred or someone else inside the monolith?

I wasn't dealing with anyone.
BT's order process can be completely automated (if ordering on-line).
The first I knew of the cock-up was when the lady from BT phoned two working days before the proposed install date, to inform me the order for Infinity hadn't gone through.

I think you BT guys seem to be missing the point.....
I didn't ring up BT sales and poorly explain what I wanted (although; quite how difficult it is, to understand the concept of "I want a new line with broadband" is beyond me). The entire order process was automated starting with my on-line order.
It was NOT caused by me giving BT duff information as to what I wanted, I simply placed an on-line order for a new line with Infinity broadband.
If I'd have ticked any of the wrong boxes, the order acknowledgement would have come back with the wrong product(s).

If if didn't show personal information I'd be quite happy to post BT's order confirmation, which shows EXACTLY what I ordered.

The screw-up was entirely at BT (either BT Retail or Openreach), your love of BT is clouding your judgement into believing that they are completely faultless (so the mistake of BT Retail forgetting to place an Infinity order with BT Openreach MUST have been my fault).
Sorry; but I don't have access to BT's systems in order to go in and delete the order!

Neither of you guys have yet to provide a reasonable explanation of how BTs screw-up was somehow my fault.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Aug-11 22:15:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I would have just got them to do a Revert to Donor on the line, which doesn't require a home visit, then ordered the migration afterwards.

That's kind of what I've done (although as they've already allocated a new number, BT have been able to order Infinity already - probably wink).
Spoke to their UK customer service centre a few hours ago, just to confirm the order is showing up correctly on their systems (given what happened last time).
Seems all OK (apparently), but a better indication is the whole package has appeared under the new account number in the 'My BT' section of their website.
I'm taking this to be good news. I don't know if you noticed one of my earlier posts (posted under another thread, before BT messed up the last order), but the screwed up order never actually made it into the 'my services' section of the website.
This new order is already there (with all products as ordered and 'track your order' actually works this time), so fingers crossed for September 7th smile

Hopefully I'll be posting on Sept. 8th about this great Infinity product (apart from it being a bit of a pain to actually order).

The BT guy took a note of my MAC from BE, although he said it probably isn't necessary as BT have allocated a new number (he did say he'd put a note on the file attempting to retain my old number - in which case the MAC will be required).

I can cancel both SkyTalk (line rental and calls) and BE internet at pretty much anytime (both are out of initial contracts - 12 months for Sky and 3 months for BE) so are each on a one month notice period.
But for around £30 I'll leave it until closer to the day of install (just in case something goes wrong again).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Aug-11 22:31:04
Print Post

AFAIK, you cannot order a sim provide when transferring line rental from a BT-based product. So, if you have simply placed two separate orders on the same line number, i.e. one to transfer the line to BT, and then one to migrate your BE service to BT FTTC, then one will fail, because there can not be an ADSL order progressing while an open landline order is in progress (or vice versa).

Additionally, I was not aware you could order a new line online and opt in for a sim provide ref code, as these orders are different to a normal new line, as a special code has to be generated. I guess if you chose an option to add Infinty to your line rental order during the signup process their system should realise it needs to be a sim provide.

In either case, you deserve better luck that BT are giving.

Whenever someone orders a new line with us, we automatically request a sim provide code even if its not required, as id its not used then there is no harm done, but it allows us to ensure we can provide this should a customer then ring up and request the said code. Although as 99% of people ordering a new line with us take one of our own broadband packages, we ensure we have the ability for a customer to go elsewhere by pro-actively ensuring the sim ref code is provided.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk

Edited by Adsl24 (Fri 19-Aug-11 22:35:39)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to