General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Aug-11 22:48:06
Print Post

Re: Well now I've gone and done it! - Aborted!!!!!!!

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

so fingers crossed for September 7th smile
Yep smile. You should be OK.

Would be nice if the guy does manage to get ypour number kept, though you can't be too fussed about that as you intended to lose it anyway after a while.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Squirrel
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Aug-11 22:59:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by adebov:
Neither of you guys have yet to provide a reasonable explanation of how BTs screw-up was somehow my fault.

Point out the bit where I said you were the cause of the internal ordering system failure. I said you were the cause of the huge drama, which you clearly are. No one but you decided to make the whole ordering experience into a public drama on this message board. Many of us have "problems" out in the real world but don't find any great need to make them public.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 09:48:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
so fingers crossed for September 7th smile
Yep smile. You should be OK.

Well BT have definately put the order through for the land-line, as Sky have just sent me a "sorry you're leaving" e-mail.
Of course, given Sky are also a huge company; they're also prone to making stupid mistakes.
Hopefully the Sky error will me nothing more than the poorly worded e-mail (sent to me at 07:41 this morning, the 20th of August) informing me "Your Sky Talk will be cancelled on Saturday 20 August 2011".
Obviously my reaction was to ring Sky and ask why they've reacted (to the transfer) by cancelling my phone TODAY, giving me only a few hours notice, and not on the actual day of transfer!
After a bit of confusion @ Sky (speaking to 'Alan' from Scotland, as opposed to 'Alan' from Mumbai) and ringing round several departments, it transpires the internal Sky cancellation process will START today, but the actual termination date is Sept. 7th.
Clearly the letter/e-mail (which is automatically generated but follows a set template) was written by a moron.

Why are large companies incapable of getting things right, or am I just unlucky (and everything possible always goes wrong).

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Would be nice if the guy does manage to get ypour number kept, though you can't be too fussed about that as you intended to lose it anyway after a while.

True; it won't be the end of the World (and will serve to rid my phone of stupid spam calls), the new number is actually a very good one (very easy to remember) and also appears to be a brand new number, rather than an old re-used one.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 20-Aug-11 10:26:39
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Squirrel:
In reply to a post by adebov:
Neither of you guys have yet to provide a reasonable explanation of how BTs screw-up was somehow my fault.

Point out the bit where I said you were the cause of the internal ordering system failure. I said you were the cause of the huge drama, which you clearly are. No one but you decided to make the whole ordering experience into a public drama on this message board. Many of us have "problems" out in the real world but don't find any great need to make them public.
I see you've lapsed into your IBM'er way of thinking. The idea of a forum is to discuss problems and also deliver praise, in order to allow people to make an informed choice.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 10:37:17
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Squirrel:
Many of us have "problems" out in the real world but don't find any great need to make them public.

Given this is a broadband forum and this particular section of the BROADBAND forum is for FIBRE connections, I figured it was relevant to post the issues I've experienced with getting BT to provide me with a fibre broadband connection.
I apologise if this somehow tweaked your BT protective sense.

The description under the TBB FIBRE section does say "Discuss fibre optic broadband including Fibre-to-the-Home (FTTH) and Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC) in here."
I'm sorry if I mis-interpreted that into thinking issues of getting a FTTC provision might be relevant to other members thinking of also getting fibre.

How about if I change my post to "BT is great and everything went swimmingly" will that appease your good self?
Of course; it won't really help those wishing to make an informed decision (because it will be a blatant lie), but it might keep the fan-boys at bay.

Somehow I just don't get the vile antagonistic responses some people have when someone else slags off their beloved product (it's the Apple vs. PC, or the PS3 vs. Xbox argument all over again).
Maybe I'm just not geeky enough wink

EDIT: In any case; I can tell you and Orly are in the wrong here, as BatBoy (of all people) seems to be on my side grin

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Sat 20-Aug-11 10:48:00)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 10:48:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
The idea of a forum is to discuss problems and also deliver praise, in order to allow people to make an informed choice.

You know; I thought that, too smile
I guess I just don't get the fan-boy mentality. I have an XBOX360, yet I also have two PS3s. I have a desktop PC and a laptop, yet I have an i-phone. I'm currently with BE, yet I'm moving to BT.
I just don't get why some people react as if you've insulted them, just because you post some negative comments about a product or service they chose.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Sat 20-Aug-11 10:51:47)

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Aug-11 10:57:12
Print Post

I'm just seeing "it's bound to go wrong and now it has! i was right!" type posts the whole way through.

Given BT get close to 50% of the FTTC signups on their own, there is a distinct lack of problems reported on the forum as a whole. Which is why you griping from the very first post seems a bit disingenuous.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 11:05:11
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orly:
I'm just seeing "it's bound to go wrong and now it has! i was right!" type posts the whole way through.

Sorry if your views are as blinkered as mine wink

In reply to a post by orly:
Given BT get close to 50% of the FTTC signups on their own, there is a distinct lack of problems reported on the forum as a whole. Which is why you griping from the very first post seems a bit disingenuous.

Disingenuous; but correct (as it turns out).
God I hate being right wink.
I'd have loved it if everything had gone swimmingly, but somehow I knew it wouldn't.

Obviously (if BT are as great as you say) my second attempt at getting Infinity will go so smoothly I'll barely even notice the engineer was here.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Sat 20-Aug-11 11:06:58)

Standard User DougM
(member) Sat 20-Aug-11 11:07:34
Print Post

Now is a good time to register the number on the Telephone Preference Service, before the number even makes it into the marketing lists. This is effective even if you don't go ex-directory.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/

For anyone unfamiliar with TPS, once a number is registered it becomes an offence under the Privacy and Electronic (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 for anyone in the UK to make an unsolicited marketing call, unless there is a prior business relationship. Since registering years ago I've had almost zero marketing calls despite my number being publicly listed in the telephone directory.

-==-
DougM
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 11:13:01
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

My existing number is on the TPS register, yet I received a call from some scamming PPI mis-selling claims company this very morning, so it appears many companies simply ignore the law.
I also get regular calls from people wishing to help me with my recent car accident (??? - 17 years without an accident, so they must hold some very old records) and my personal injury claim.
There are also the weekly calls asking if I've claimed my government grant for loft insulation.

Trust me; the TPS register doesn't always work (although I will take your advice and pre-register the new number).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to