General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Aug-11 18:10:07
Print Post

Well now I've gone and done it!

[link to this post]

It's seems BT Retail's 'jump the gun' e-mail the other day turned out to be correct.
OK; the e-mail came through three days before the BT Wholesale checker was updated (a bit of inside knowledge perhaps).

FTTC has now been enabled 4 weeks early (OK; not really 'early' as it should have been last December).

Despite my better judgement I've now placed an order for a new phone line (currently F.O.C) and BT Infinity.
Connection appointment is 1 to 6pm on Monday August 22nd (hope I don't have to cancel it due to a sudden trip away).

So here's hoping BT Infinity doesn't turn out to be a crock of poo.

What have I done? Still; at least with a new line install I can leave my BE connection in place on the old 'phone line until I'm happy Infinity won't be throttled to death.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User Johnct
(committed) Thu 04-Aug-11 18:26:37
Print Post

Re: Well now I've gone and done it!

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

yep you should be happy with it come the 22nd smile did you get a rough idea of the speed you will get on the day
Standard User cjbell68
(regular) Thu 04-Aug-11 18:32:21
Print Post

Well done Ade - good luck with the install - don't forget to go shopping for essential "engineer supplies" before the day!

I had a planned date of 1st September, others currently have 30th September and I was able to order this morning laugh (probably switched over last night according to our village forum).

I've gone with Plusnet - mainly because my estimate is just under the 15mbps. I checked with BT but sadly they've put the price of option 3 with fibre up to £28. Coupled with line rental it would weigh in at £41.90 - so I've gone the Plusnet route to dip my toe in the water.

Chose the value product at £16.49 for the broadband bit (didn't want to take a punt on a higher line speed and fight for a re-grade with BT later on!)

Colin

plusnet

Edited by cjbell68 (Thu 04-Aug-11 18:33:55)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Aug-11 18:46:13
Print Post

[re: Johnct] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Johnct:
did you get a rough idea of the speed you will get on the day

The checker estimates 32Mbps but I'm probably only 160 to 200 metres (cable length) from the cabinet, so I should get full speed (and then some when BT switch profiles - hopefully next year).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User Johnct
(committed) Thu 04-Aug-11 18:55:29
Print Post

i think you will get full speed and i think bt is to switch profiles from october this year alough it could take a few months before we get the faster speeds .
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Aug-11 21:13:50
Print Post

As one of the longer time (longest?) users of BT infinity on these forums - it's brilliant.

---
Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Aug-11 21:33:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by adebov:
The checker estimates 32Mbps but I'm probably only 160 to 200 metres (cable length) from the cabinet, so I should get full speed (and then some when BT switch profiles - hopefully next year).

The checker gave an estimate on 31.6/7.5 for me but I have a full 40/10 sync. I think that I am just under 200m line length too. I paced out the most probable route from the cab ( following an obvious filled trench across the road and the BT manhole covers).

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Aug-11 18:34:23
Print Post

Good luck Ade. I am sure it'll be fine.

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Aug-11 18:38:47
Print Post

Just uploaded a pic of a test torrent download i'm running of ubuntu. As you can see it's running at an acceptable speed. Sure, it isn't megabytes per second but not exactly crippled either - and this is 6.30 on a saturday evening.

http://i.imgur.com/oPiPL.jpg

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Aug-11 20:33:01
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orly:
As you can see it's running at an acceptable speed.

Not sure I'd call 3.8Mbps (from a 40Mbps product) acceptable, I might as well have stayed put on a 4.6Mbps BE connection (which also downloads at around 3.8Mbps).

I hope this 90% speed drop is due to you downloading via torrents (which are traditionally rubbish) and not the fact BT have so little capacity their 40Mbps product slows down, during peak times, to half that of an 8Mbps ADSL1 connection!

So much for my theory a heavily throttled BT 40Mbps connection would still be faster than an unthrottled 4.6Mbps BE connection (because it clearly isn't) frown

EDIT: Starting to think I've made a huge mistake (I'm still in a cooling off period, should I want to back out now).
It's a good job I'm also keeping my BE connection, I could bridge the two together and use BT's 40Mbps product to double the speed of my BE connection to 8Mbps tongue

EDIT2: Just as a comparison; your 40Mbps Infinity connection is downloading Ubuntu (albeit via Torrents) at 479kB/s and my 4.6Mbps ADSL2 BE connection is downloading it from an Ubuntu server at 498kB/s..........Do you still think your speed is acceptable?
http://i.imgur.com/PRgND.jpg

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Sat 06-Aug-11 20:50:27)

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Aug-11 23:03:39
Print Post

It's perfectly acceptable to me. Here's another pic of what it's doing now: http://i.imgur.com/zADu9.jpg

Point is most of the non-BT users around here act as if you can't even use Bit Torrent because they need as many sticks to beat BT with as possible. In reality you can use all this stuff the haters say you can't. I find it funny. See my pics as documentary evidence of it. And this is on a saturday evening when most other ISPs lump you into "peak time". How quaint.

Plus it's not a 40mbit product in any event. I'm connected at about 25mbit, hopefully you'll get more.

But if £25.60 a month for upto 40mbit/10mbit, pretty much full speed ahead on every conceivable use is a "mistake" to you, then the best of the luck finding a better deal elsewhere. I'll save you the suspense - you won't be able to.

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet

Edited by orly (Sat 06-Aug-11 23:52:01)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Aug-11 00:15:36
Print Post

then the best of the luck finding a better deal elsewhere. I'll save you the suspense - you won't be able to.

You're right; I won't be able to (but that is only because I live too far from the exchange) but there are better deals out there for people close enough (BE's 24Mbps ADSL2+ product, which runs pretty much flat-out 24/7, without slowing down to a tenth of the maximum speed during peak times, and it's cheaper than £25.60 a month).
Like I said, though, you need to live pretty close to the exchange.
One lucky friend has an 18Mbps sync (on BE) and gets about 15Mbps throughput available 24/7.

If I had a 20Mbps sync with BE, I wouldn't be changing to Infinity, because it's quite clear that during waking hours a 20Mbps BE ADSL2+ connection will be faster than a 40Mbps BT Infinity connection (and will probably have a lower ping figure, given some of the 52ms speed tests posted on here from Infinity customers).

I'm going with Infinity, which has an 18 month contract period (so obviously BT need to force their customers to stay, rather than giving such a good product they'd never want to leave anyway) because I think that's about how long it will take BE to get even close to a roll-out.

As for the people who say you can't use bit torrent on Infinity; maybe their definition of "can't use" actually is "runs at one tenth of the maximum speed".

What you appear to be saying (and I get it that you're a fan of BT - nothing wrong with that) is it's worth going for Infinity and paying a premium price simply because the service speeds up by the time you get to 11pm.

As for a "better deal"; some may have the opinion that paying more, say around £40 instead of £28 (I say £28 because BT's web-site gives the clear impression the £25.60 package is for people who already have BT internet) for a product which doesn't slow down to a tenth of the maximum speed, may actually be a better deal.

"Value for money" and "better deal" don't automatically mean "cheapest", I learnt that from a very early age (unlike most British people, who think "value" and "better deal" are just other ways of saying "cheap" - we are, after all, a country which bought into the "Amstrad" version of hi-fi ).
Let's face it, we don't seem to get many non-Infinity FTTC users on here stating their peak time download speed is half that of ADSL1 wink, and most of those non-Infinity FTTC users are paying £30 to £50 a month.

Fortunately I don't touch torrents with a ten foot pole, so if that's all which slows down on Infinity, I won't be affected.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Sun 07-Aug-11 00:18:51)

Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Aug-11 00:24:00
Print Post

>>Fortunately I don't touch torrents with a ten foot pole, so if that's all which slows down on Infinity, I won't be affected.

You won't be affected.

BT throttle torrents which allows them to have a compelling price point and they are 'unlimited'.

FTTC providers that do not throttle p2p are expensive and have download limits.

That is all.

Welcome to the light side. smile

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Aug-11 00:32:40
Print Post

I guess it depends on what you're using it for.

Be will give you 24mbit down and 1.3mbit up for £22. If you want 2.5mbit up it's £27 (more expensive than BT's 40/10 product). I don't regard either as a better deal. Both on 12 month terms. If a service is pants from the get go it's not exactly much consolation if you have to suffer it for a year or a year and a half if we're being honest. We're in month 13 with Infinity and won't be moving anywhere after the contract runs out.

No one is forcing you to use Infinity - least of all BT. You picked the service and signed up yourself so it's a bit strange to gripe about the contract or any other failing you perceive.

I'm guessing you've perused the spreadsheet of providers I helped compile and noticed the total cost is pretty low compared to others. Stuff like the free equipment and free setup is probably part of the reason BT go for the longer contract.

Today I've been playing Modern Warfare 2 on Steam. Because of the 8mbit upload I tend to be made the host (essentially meaning I have the best connection in the game). Just a few moments ago there were 2 HD iplayer streams going without a blip. As you saw earlier on the torrent download was flying (you can do your own search here and find plenty of commentators saying this is actually impossible on BT!). Used newsgroups earlier and got the full 2.5MB/s for my connection too. Pings for me are about 23ms to the BBC site from here in N.Ireland.

Short of a static IP address there's basically nothing else you could ask for.

I can guarantee that when you get it installed you'll be delighted.

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Aug-11 00:40:15
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RandomJointer:
You won't be affected.

That's what I'm hoping.

BT throttle torrents which allows them to have a compelling price point and they are 'unlimited'.

A wise move (given how torrents can suck bandwidth (up and down).
Unfortunately the poster who says he's happy with 50% of ADSL1 speed (over his Infinity connection) hasn't really quoted speeds for other applications.

FTTC providers that do not throttle p2p are expensive and have download limits.

Which is precisely why I'm giving Infinity a chance.
It is possible to get un-metered off-peak products, but to get one which starts at a reasonable time (e.g. 8pm) and has sufficient usage prior to that (which allows normal internet use) is somewhere around £12/month more than BT.
I strongly considered alternatives but went for Infinity because I figure as one of the first (in town) at least the local BT network will take a while to get swamped!

Welcome to the light side. smile

I haven't quite given up on the dark side yet (my BE connection will stay until I'm happy with Infinity), although it remains to be seen how ADSL2+ over a stupidly long cable length (about twice as far as the actual distance to the exchange) will be affected by a high-power vDSL signal travelling down another pair in the same multi-core!
When I'm happy with Infinity, the BE will get cancelled.
BT's free line install offer was just icing on the cake, because it gives me chance to ditch a phone number I've had for 22 years, and I've become tired of the stupid junk calls I get (and the TPS is next to useless - so a nice new ex-directory number may solve that, unless I inherit one which is on the books of even more loft insulation companies).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Aug-11 00:56:09
Print Post

Be will give you 24mbit down and 1.3mbit up for £22. If you want 2.5mbit up it's £27 (more expensive than BT's 40/10 product). I don't regard either as a better deal. Both on 12 month terms.

I pay £18.26 a month for upto 24Mbps (unfortunately I'm too far away to get more than about 5Mbps) on a three month contract (although I'm on a zero month contract now) with a free static IP (so, for me, Infinity is a premium price product - so it sure as heck better be able to provide consistantly faster downloads).

so it's a bit strange to gripe about the contract or any other failing you perceive.

My only gripe is that if your "acceptable" 3.8Mbps speed is typical for applications other than torrents. You've yet to advise if it's just torrents which operate at low speeds (all I have to go on, from you as a source, is your snapshot of "acceptable" 3.8Mbps download speeds).

I'm guessing you've perused the spreadsheet of providers I helped compile and noticed the total cost is pretty low compared to others.

No; because I'm smart enough to find out information for myself.

Stuff like the free equipment and free setup is probably part of the reason BT go for the longer contract.

Might be good for some.
For others; the "free" bolt-ons are just loads of stuff which costs BT very little and made out to be worth far more.
BT home hub "worth £90"....Yeah, right. Never in my days have I paid £90 for what is basically a wireless router.
All the other stuff costs BT virtually nothing.
It's the actual product I'm interested in and not the gaudy trinkets BT lavish upon us.

It's a shame BT don't do what Plusnet offered (a lower price if you don't want all their junk).

Used newsgroups earlier and got the full 2.5MB/s for my connection too. Pings for me are about 23ms to the BBC site from here in N.Ireland.

Promising news; just a shame you couldn't have said that earlier (maybe in response to my first comment that I don't think 3.8Mbps is acceptable for a 40Mbps product) and saved us all this nonsense tongue.

Short of a static IP address there's basically nothing else you could ask for.

That is a big loss (considering it's free with my £18 BE product).
Such a shame BT don't even offer it as an option frown (it kind of proves their customer will tend to be a purely domestic user).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Sun 07-Aug-11 00:57:48)

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Aug-11 02:02:44
Print Post

I'm just quoting what Be are actually selling on their homepage. Doesn't seem to be a compelling offering to me.

Torrents sometimes run slower and sometimes run full speed. That is partly down to BT and partly down to the nature of how torrents are distributed. You're relying on good seeds and having your own client set up right. As I've demonstrated it's perfectly possible to have max'ed out torrent downloading using BT. Same for newsgroups. Started a test download of fedora (which I believe is free so hopefully no laws broken) and it was running full speed before I stopped it: http://i.imgur.com/ilLNB.jpg

Pinging BBC.co.uk:
Ping statistics for 212.58.244.67:
Packets: Sent = 40, Received = 40, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 27ms, Average = 22ms

I'll be happy to test any application or use (if I can) and report the results to you. Bearing in mind my connection is essentially half speed due to comedy cabling in this part of the world.

And the products are for domestic users. You can go for the Business products if you want the static IP. Personally I prefer the dynamic one so it makes no odds to me. It's available if you want it but the price isn't worth it in my view.

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet

Edited by orly (Sun 07-Aug-11 02:04:36)

Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Sun 07-Aug-11 08:41:34
Print Post

600m (approx) to cabinet

What speed did the ADSL checker estimate for your line?

Regards
Sunil
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Aug-11 08:50:42
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

Been down this route before with Orly, as someone who actually works with this stuff, if he only gets 25 meg sync @ 600m something don't look right.

My line, 566m, 40/10. Longest I have seen full sync on 890m (new-ish 0.5 copper). Punter a few weeks ago had to take the sub 15 route, 1.2K d-side, 35meg sync. There is no hard and fast rule to say what you'll get, but the 25 at 600m don't seem right.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Aug-11 10:56:18
Print Post

You can go for the Business products if you want the static IP.

Yes; but then it will be ADSL2+ (BT don't appear to offer FTTC to business customers - which might explain why they don't tend to upgrade cabs on industrial estates), cost £43 a month (if you want the shortest possible contract term - still 12 months), and an extra £5 a month for a static IP.
This makes BT Business broadband £48 compared to BE @ £22 (which is on a 3 month contract) - note existing BE customers can still be paying £18 a month.

So; no, I can't go 'business products' if I want to add a static IP to Bt's FTTC offering - simply because it's not available (I guess we'd have both known that if either of us had checked your comparison table tongue).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Aug-11 11:59:44
Print Post

Soz Ade, BT Business Broadband do have an FTTC product. I have fitted plenty, I think MHC on here uses it ?

Standard User nelix01
(member) Sun 07-Aug-11 12:06:08
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yup, they do offer Infinity for Business

Standard User Ribble
(member) Sun 07-Aug-11 12:07:10
Print Post

http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/intern...
Prices for static IP's are listed in the charges schedule at the bottom
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 07-Aug-11 12:15:22
Print Post

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/euf/assets/images/BT/...

pg 13

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User Yerman164
(learned) Sun 07-Aug-11 12:24:11
Print Post

If I had a 20Mbps sync with BE, I wouldn't be changing to Infinity, because it's quite clear that during waking hours a 20Mbps BE ADSL2+ connection will be faster than a 40Mbps BT Infinity connection (and will probably have a lower ping figure, given some of the 52ms speed tests posted on here from Infinity customers).

The only thing a BE connection will be faster at is torrents. I don't use torrents at all and I don't notice any slowdowns on my Infinity connection at any time. Newsgroups download at 4.4 MB/s at any time of the day. Web downloads go as fast as the server you're downloading from allows them to.

As for pings:

http://speedtest.aquiss.net/result/43581/

10ms seems pretty good to me.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Aug-11 13:04:37
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

Originally it said about 16Mbit for FTTC but then once it was installed it changed to match the actual speed we receive.

For ADSL we got about 3-4Mbit.

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Aug-11 13:09:48
Print Post

Without access to more information from the modem/hub it's not possible to get a better idea of what is going on. Not exactly anyone you can call about it i'd imagine.

Over the years we've had plenty of issues with phone lines in this area. The original one to the house was physically broken and unrepairable and we were switched to a different pair entirely. Might explain why after all these years we aren't on the closest cabinet to the house but one 3x further away. The amount of roads BT dug up at the time leaves me thinking we're on some shoddy spare they had to magic out of thin air made out of dodgy copper and good intentions.

Would you have an idea how to improve it or who to call?

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 07-Aug-11 15:02:56
Print Post

although it remains to be seen how ADSL2+ over a stupidly long cable length (about twice as far as the actual distance to the exchange) will be affected by a high-power vDSL signal travelling down another pair in the same multi-core!
Though the shared distance is only from the cabinet of course smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Aug-11 15:57:07
Print Post

My ping to the BBC on Be was around 26ms but on Infinity it is 12ms, that is even better than Bulldog which was around 14ms.(if I remember correctly). I also get very little variation in speed, regardless of time. Most of my use is in peak time too.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Aug-11 17:39:25
Print Post

[re: Yerman164] [link to this post]

I think there's definately something odd about the TBB speedtester (when testing Infinity connections) as many pings come out around 52ms - could be routing (I don't know) but it's good news that both of you get substantially lower pings.

The apparent evidence BT don't seem to throttle http or Usenet is also good news.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Aug-11 17:46:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Soz Ade, BT Business Broadband do have an FTTC product. I have fitted plenty, I think MHC on here uses it ?

Either way, £20 extra just so I can have a static IP is a little too much (I'll make do without, on a "home" Infinity connection) as that works out even more expensive than the ADSL24/Vivaciti business products (although, at that price-point, they're limited to around 45GB peak usage).

Such a shame BE are aimlessly flapping around (trying to work out what to do, regarding FTTC).
Still; BE's loss is now BT's gain smile

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Sun 07-Aug-11 17:47:27)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Aug-11 17:51:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Indeed.
One advantage in being so far from the exchange is BT will set vDSL (from the cabinet) to use part of the ADSL2+ range of frequencies (because nothing, on ADSL, above around 800kHz makes it this far).

Doesn't really matter if vDSL [operating in an adjoining pair] affects the speed of my ADSL2 product, as that will get cancelled shortly after Infinity proves to be as great as everyone says.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Aug-11 18:43:44
Print Post

Good luck Ade. I am sure it'll be fine.

I wish I could believe you.
8 days after ordering (and 7 days after the 24 hours the "track my order' page is supposed to be able to track by order number alone) and apparently my order still isn't on the system.
I don't have a 'VOL' number because it is (apparently) "a type of order reference number which you usually get when you order by phone".

Not a good start. Only one working week to go and the BT "systems" (such as they are) still don't know about my order.
Not really expecting anyone to turn up on the 22nd frown

EDIT: Apparently I'd have to pay BT "a charge" if I miss the appointment or change it "without enough notice".
Does that mean I can charge BT a day's pay plus admin charges when they don't turn up on the 22nd wink

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Fri 12-Aug-11 18:47:19)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Aug-11 18:46:29
Print Post

I assume it is being done as a "SIM Provide"? I wonder if those show on a different system? Or at least an unusual part of the system.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Aug-11 18:49:46
Print Post

Re: Well now I've gone and done it! - Edited!

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I assume it is being done as a "SIM Provide"?

Yes it is.

I wonder if those show on a different system? Or at least an unusual part of the system.

Then you'd have thought BT would have enough sense to put the correct "track my order" URL in the "Thanks for choosing BT" welcome e-mail wink

EDIT:
According to the welcome e-mail I have two appoinments on the 22nd...
One for a "Phone line engineer for phone line: 01295xxxxxx", the other for a "BT Infinity engineer".
If they turn out to be a different engineer I'd put money on the Infinity engineer showing up before the phone line engineer grin (assuming anyone turns up at all).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Fri 12-Aug-11 18:52:43)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Aug-11 19:15:21
Print Post

... Then you'd have thought BT would have enough sense to ....
[cough] smile

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Aug-11 16:57:57
Print Post

If they turn out to be a different engineer I'd put money on the Infinity engineer showing up before the phone line engineer grin (assuming anyone turns up at all).

Damn tootin'. grin

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Aug-11 18:19:57
Print Post

Re: Well now I've gone and done it! - Aborted!!!!!!!

Well surprise, surprise..........
BT have screwed up the order (who didn't know that was going to happen).
Apparently a simultaneous provide, in BT-speak, means a voice line with someone forgetting to place the FTTC order with OR.

A nice lady from BT called today (two working days before the install was due) to announce "sorry there's a problem with your order".
The excuse is "our supplier" (so BT then) "has not put the broadband order through".
She went on to say "we'll come on Monday to activate the voice line, then call us on Tuesday so we can put the Infinity order through".
This was no use to me. I'd booked (and have now lost) a day off work because an engineer (well; two engineers) were due to visit.
I'm too busy to keep booking random days off work, only for BT to mess up and I'll be too busy to take a day off in another couple of weeks just in case the manual Infinity order actually goes through this time.

There was little point in just having a phone line and then risking they'd somehow mess up again and I wouldn't be able to get Infinity on it (meaning I'd be paying for a land-line, for 18 months, that I have no use for).
So; I told the lady to forget about all of it and cancel the whole order (which she said she'd do).

Now for the next screw-up.....
She only cancelled the Infinity part and immediately sent an e-mail thanking me for my order and confirming the engineer visit.
So I then call their customer "services" line and try to explain that I wanted to cancel the whole order and not just the infinity part.
After great difficulty explaining I only ordered the phone line so I could get Infinity on it, so have no real need for an 18 month phone line on its own, I managed to get through (I think wink) and the order has been cancelled (probably).

I'm still expecting to see a voice line engineer on Monday, as I have no faith the order has been cancelled.

What a good job I didn't attempt to migrate my BE broadband (on the existing phone line) over to Infinity, as I'd be left without internet and no way of easily getting BE reconnected (as BT have the wrong line length down for my number, so BE/O2 automatically reject orders).

What a shower!

The worst bit?..................BT taking 14 days to work out they've forgotten to place a broadband order, so now I'd have another 2-3 weeks wait.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Thu 18-Aug-11 18:45:05)

Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 18-Aug-11 20:56:48
Print Post

Feel free to try us and let us get you a simultaneous provide that actually works! smile

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Aug-11 22:06:23
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Well the problem is the cost frown
There's an obvious reason why BT are the way they are (close to useless). As the saying goes "you get what you pay for"!
They charge £28/month for unlimited FTTC. The cheapest of your packages (which I'd be able to live with - usage wise) is the office 45 pro @ £41/month.
BT charge £120 for 12 months line rental, you charge £154.80
BT do free line install, you charge £79
BT do free FTTC broadband connection, yours is £49
And BT do 3 months free broadband (although that offer expires in one day and a cynic might suggest that's why BT are forgetting to place orders - asking me to place a new Infinity order next Tuesday, after the offer expires!!!!!!).

So the first year costs with BT are £327, compared to £775 with ADSL24. Ongoing annual costs (after the first year) are £400 with BT and £647 with ADSL24.
It's not difficult to see why BT struggle to afford staff and systems capable of doing their job and it's also not difficult to see why I (and many others) are so hesitant to go down the non-BT route.

I would love to return to ADSL24 (I only moved away because Entanet were getting a bit useless and BE suddenly enabled our exchange) but I'm not sure I can justify the extra costs frown

Of course; a few days un-paid leave (as I'm rapidly running out of paid vacation this year) to randomly book BT installs which get aborted (because BT couldn't organise the proverbial) and I could have afforded your product in the first place wink.

I wonder if BT are going to pay me for all my wasted time (given they are prepared to charge if customers cancel appointments with too little notice)?

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 18-Aug-11 23:03:56
Print Post

A pretty terrible cockup. Just one thing though. SIM provides are well-known, (by yourself as well I assume), to be dodgy. And you have a non-sequitur:-
What a good job I didn't attempt to migrate my BE broadband (on the existing phone line) over to Infinity, as I'd be left without internet
It's the SIM provide went wrong. A simple migration to Infinity would almost certainly been smoothly accomplished.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Aug-11 23:45:30
Print Post

I was only going for a SIM provide because BT were offering a free line install and it seemed easier than requesting a MAC from BE and getting BT to take back a Sky voice line (which, no doubt, BT would have messed up somehow).
It looks like I will be forced to do a migration (knowing that the part of the SIM provide which went wrong was the Infinity bit - BT forgetting to place an order), and take another day off work in the hope BT will turn up this time.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Aug-11 23:52:12
Print Post

Oh God; even a migration to looks like it's got the capacity to be a massive screw-up.
Sorry, following a check on your details we're unable to complete your order online. Please call us on 0800 731 0286 so that we can get your superfast broadband package set up as soon as possible.

Not confident speaking to anyone will help - that surely means a manual order, knowing the person at the BT call centre won't be listening to a word I say (I could end up with their useless ADSL product) frown.
Can this company do anything right?

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Aug-11 00:00:56
Print Post

Bad to worse frown.

I didn't realise the Be line was with Sky.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Aug-11 00:48:00
Print Post

This is why I wanted the SIM provide (assuming BT are actually capable of it - but if they sell such a service they should be able to to it) as it means I can keep my Sky voice line (with BE broadband) while BT struggle to do something which shouldn't be difficult for one of the World's largest telecos (surely at least one of BT's 100,000+ employees must know how to do a SIM provide).

The plan was to simply cancel Sky line rental and BE broadband after BT had managed to get a new telephone line working with Infinity (something it seems they struggle with).

The worst thing is BT have been regularly writing (trying to get me to come back) and now I want to they don't seem capable of connecting me without a huge drama.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Fri 19-Aug-11 00:51:25)

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Aug-11 00:59:06
Print Post

When we ordered it was at their behest - they called us to offer it as we were in one of the areas upgraded early on in the roll out.

Was installed on the day as ordered.

To be honest BT have never messed up an order on us from the ISDN days right through to now.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Aug-11 01:00:14
Print Post

The thread on the BT forum I created very much agrees. We're getting exactly what we pay for - an excellent service.

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Aug-11 01:19:00
Print Post

You may be getting an excellent service.
I'd like to have been getting an excellent service but BT neglected to be able to offer one (failing miserably to be able to actually provide new line and broadband at the same time), and I'd be darned if I was going to be stuck with a voice only line for 18 months on the off-chance BT would later be able to provide Infinity (coincidentally placing a manual order for Infinity just after the 3 free months offer expired).

The only reason for going down the SIM provide route is I thought (for a company which employs over 100,000 people) it would be simpler than trying to get them to tack back ownership of the line (from Sky) and migrate a BE ADSL2+ LLU product over to Infinity.
How wrong I was wink

I'm now back at being forced to give up my BE connection (which I'll never get back because BT's own database is lying about my line length) and hoping they don't screw-up a migration to Infinity.

Step one is transfer the voice line back to BT - another long wait (18 days to be precise).
Step two (assuming BT don't mess up the voice line transfer) will be a migration to Infinity (another 2-3 week wait).
If I'm lucky, I might actually get Infinity by October frown

Like I said; you get what you pay for. I'm not talking about the actual Infinity product (you BT fans have convinced me it's up to scratch), I'm talking about the BT back-room staff not always being up to the job.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User Squirrel
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Aug-11 08:06:14
Print Post

The worst thing is BT have been regularly writing (trying to get me to come back) and now I want to they don't seem capable of connecting me without a huge drama.

Methinks you are the cause of the "huge drama". Transfer of my Sky line to BT when I moved to O2 - flawless. Then swap from O2 LLU to BT Infinity - flawless. By son's SIM provide of a line and BT Infinity - flawless.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Aug-11 09:17:09
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Squirrel:
Methinks you are the cause of the "huge drama". Transfer of my Sky line to BT when I moved to O2 - flawless. Then swap from O2 LLU to BT Infinity - flawless. By son's SIM provide of a line and BT Infinity - flawless.
Please could you explain how Ade could possibly have caused the internal ordering systems and procedures of BT to screw up a SIM provide involving no migration?

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Aug-11 09:45:05
Print Post

Please could you explain how Ade could possibly have caused the internal ordering systems and procedures of BT to screw up a SIM provide involving no migration?

Yes I'd also like to know how it was my fault.
My total involvement, up to the point of me telling them to cancel, was placing an online order for both a new phone line and Infinity broadband.
I don't remember clicking the box labelled 'please screw up my order by forgetting to place the Infinity order with Openreach' - maybe it was an opt-out that I didn't notice wink

Of course, using Squirell-logic I can draw an analogy....
Say we both have the same car.
Say yours goes wrong and mine doesn't.
Squirell-logic says it's your fault (because mine is OK) and not the shoddy service of the supplier or manufacturer grin

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Fri 19-Aug-11 09:46:46)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Aug-11 09:51:09
Print Post

Anyway; I've now placed a second order (but not for a SIM provide - I don't have endless holiday dates remaining for more BT mess-ups).
This time I've gone for a transfer of line, but it appears BT can't transfer my line from Sky and allow me to keep the same number (idiots), so I have a transfer booked for September 6th and Infinity booked for the same day.

I wonder what will go wrong this time.

Still can't work out why BT's "systems" won't let me keep the same number - I'm not even on Sky unbundled - it's a BT line connected to BT equipment (so how come BT can't migrate it back).

The "drama" is all BT's own work; I'm simply trying to buy a service from them (and BT seem to be finding yet more ways to prevent this).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Aug-11 09:52:29
Print Post

Ah, maybe it was because the BT system knew you couldn't spell "Squirrel"? So you had to be punished.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Aug-11 09:56:22
Print Post

Still can't work out why BT's "systems" won't let me keep the same number - I'm not even on Sky unbundled - it's a BT line connected to BT equipment (so how come BT can't migrate it back).
Maybe because it's been done as a SIM provide? frown but serious!

I would have just got them to do a Revert to Donor on the line, which doesn't require a home visit, then ordered the migration afterwards.

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Aug-11 13:00:55
Print Post

Inaccurate description of what was needed.

You do need to spoonfeed them sometimes wink

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Aug-11 13:02:05
Print Post

Were you dealing with "infinity support" when the cock up occurred or someone else inside the monolith?

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Aug-11 16:50:05
Print Post

Inaccurate description of what was needed.

Pray tell how I am to describe what is needed (for a brand new line with Infinity broadband) any more than placing an online order for a brand new line with Infinity broadband?

If BT can't work out (from placing such an order), especially as clicked the boxes for "I want a new phone line" and "I want Infinity unlimited broadband" (that I want a phone line WITH broadband), they should change their business to something other than telecoms wink

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Aug-11 16:58:51
Print Post

Were you dealing with "infinity support" when the cock up occurred or someone else inside the monolith?

I wasn't dealing with anyone.
BT's order process can be completely automated (if ordering on-line).
The first I knew of the cock-up was when the lady from BT phoned two working days before the proposed install date, to inform me the order for Infinity hadn't gone through.

I think you BT guys seem to be missing the point.....
I didn't ring up BT sales and poorly explain what I wanted (although; quite how difficult it is, to understand the concept of "I want a new line with broadband" is beyond me). The entire order process was automated starting with my on-line order.
It was NOT caused by me giving BT duff information as to what I wanted, I simply placed an on-line order for a new line with Infinity broadband.
If I'd have ticked any of the wrong boxes, the order acknowledgement would have come back with the wrong product(s).

If if didn't show personal information I'd be quite happy to post BT's order confirmation, which shows EXACTLY what I ordered.

The screw-up was entirely at BT (either BT Retail or Openreach), your love of BT is clouding your judgement into believing that they are completely faultless (so the mistake of BT Retail forgetting to place an Infinity order with BT Openreach MUST have been my fault).
Sorry; but I don't have access to BT's systems in order to go in and delete the order!

Neither of you guys have yet to provide a reasonable explanation of how BTs screw-up was somehow my fault.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Aug-11 22:15:42
Print Post

I would have just got them to do a Revert to Donor on the line, which doesn't require a home visit, then ordered the migration afterwards.

That's kind of what I've done (although as they've already allocated a new number, BT have been able to order Infinity already - probably wink).
Spoke to their UK customer service centre a few hours ago, just to confirm the order is showing up correctly on their systems (given what happened last time).
Seems all OK (apparently), but a better indication is the whole package has appeared under the new account number in the 'My BT' section of their website.
I'm taking this to be good news. I don't know if you noticed one of my earlier posts (posted under another thread, before BT messed up the last order), but the screwed up order never actually made it into the 'my services' section of the website.
This new order is already there (with all products as ordered and 'track your order' actually works this time), so fingers crossed for September 7th smile

Hopefully I'll be posting on Sept. 8th about this great Infinity product (apart from it being a bit of a pain to actually order).

The BT guy took a note of my MAC from BE, although he said it probably isn't necessary as BT have allocated a new number (he did say he'd put a note on the file attempting to retain my old number - in which case the MAC will be required).

I can cancel both SkyTalk (line rental and calls) and BE internet at pretty much anytime (both are out of initial contracts - 12 months for Sky and 3 months for BE) so are each on a one month notice period.
But for around £30 I'll leave it until closer to the day of install (just in case something goes wrong again).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Aug-11 22:31:04
Print Post

AFAIK, you cannot order a sim provide when transferring line rental from a BT-based product. So, if you have simply placed two separate orders on the same line number, i.e. one to transfer the line to BT, and then one to migrate your BE service to BT FTTC, then one will fail, because there can not be an ADSL order progressing while an open landline order is in progress (or vice versa).

Additionally, I was not aware you could order a new line online and opt in for a sim provide ref code, as these orders are different to a normal new line, as a special code has to be generated. I guess if you chose an option to add Infinty to your line rental order during the signup process their system should realise it needs to be a sim provide.

In either case, you deserve better luck that BT are giving.

Whenever someone orders a new line with us, we automatically request a sim provide code even if its not required, as id its not used then there is no harm done, but it allows us to ensure we can provide this should a customer then ring up and request the said code. Although as 99% of people ordering a new line with us take one of our own broadband packages, we ensure we have the ability for a customer to go elsewhere by pro-actively ensuring the sim ref code is provided.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk

Edited by Adsl24 (Fri 19-Aug-11 22:35:39)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Aug-11 22:48:06
Print Post

so fingers crossed for September 7th smile
Yep smile. You should be OK.

Would be nice if the guy does manage to get ypour number kept, though you can't be too fussed about that as you intended to lose it anyway after a while.

Standard User Squirrel
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Aug-11 22:59:24
Print Post

Neither of you guys have yet to provide a reasonable explanation of how BTs screw-up was somehow my fault.

Point out the bit where I said you were the cause of the internal ordering system failure. I said you were the cause of the huge drama, which you clearly are. No one but you decided to make the whole ordering experience into a public drama on this message board. Many of us have "problems" out in the real world but don't find any great need to make them public.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 09:48:53
Print Post

so fingers crossed for September 7th smile
Yep smile. You should be OK.

Well BT have definately put the order through for the land-line, as Sky have just sent me a "sorry you're leaving" e-mail.
Of course, given Sky are also a huge company; they're also prone to making stupid mistakes.
Hopefully the Sky error will me nothing more than the poorly worded e-mail (sent to me at 07:41 this morning, the 20th of August) informing me "Your Sky Talk will be cancelled on Saturday 20 August 2011".
Obviously my reaction was to ring Sky and ask why they've reacted (to the transfer) by cancelling my phone TODAY, giving me only a few hours notice, and not on the actual day of transfer!
After a bit of confusion @ Sky (speaking to 'Alan' from Scotland, as opposed to 'Alan' from Mumbai) and ringing round several departments, it transpires the internal Sky cancellation process will START today, but the actual termination date is Sept. 7th.
Clearly the letter/e-mail (which is automatically generated but follows a set template) was written by a moron.

Why are large companies incapable of getting things right, or am I just unlucky (and everything possible always goes wrong).

Would be nice if the guy does manage to get ypour number kept, though you can't be too fussed about that as you intended to lose it anyway after a while.

True; it won't be the end of the World (and will serve to rid my phone of stupid spam calls), the new number is actually a very good one (very easy to remember) and also appears to be a brand new number, rather than an old re-used one.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 20-Aug-11 10:26:39
Print Post

Point out the bit where I said you were the cause of the internal ordering system failure. I said you were the cause of the huge drama, which you clearly are. No one but you decided to make the whole ordering experience into a public drama on this message board. Many of us have "problems" out in the real world but don't find any great need to make them public.
I see you've lapsed into your IBM'er way of thinking. The idea of a forum is to discuss problems and also deliver praise, in order to allow people to make an informed choice.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 10:37:17
Print Post

Many of us have "problems" out in the real world but don't find any great need to make them public.

Given this is a broadband forum and this particular section of the BROADBAND forum is for FIBRE connections, I figured it was relevant to post the issues I've experienced with getting BT to provide me with a fibre broadband connection.
I apologise if this somehow tweaked your BT protective sense.

The description under the TBB FIBRE section does say "Discuss fibre optic broadband including Fibre-to-the-Home (FTTH) and Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC) in here."
I'm sorry if I mis-interpreted that into thinking issues of getting a FTTC provision might be relevant to other members thinking of also getting fibre.

How about if I change my post to "BT is great and everything went swimmingly" will that appease your good self?
Of course; it won't really help those wishing to make an informed decision (because it will be a blatant lie), but it might keep the fan-boys at bay.

Somehow I just don't get the vile antagonistic responses some people have when someone else slags off their beloved product (it's the Apple vs. PC, or the PS3 vs. Xbox argument all over again).
Maybe I'm just not geeky enough wink

EDIT: In any case; I can tell you and Orly are in the wrong here, as BatBoy (of all people) seems to be on my side grin

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Sat 20-Aug-11 10:48:00)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 10:48:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
The idea of a forum is to discuss problems and also deliver praise, in order to allow people to make an informed choice.

You know; I thought that, too smile
I guess I just don't get the fan-boy mentality. I have an XBOX360, yet I also have two PS3s. I have a desktop PC and a laptop, yet I have an i-phone. I'm currently with BE, yet I'm moving to BT.
I just don't get why some people react as if you've insulted them, just because you post some negative comments about a product or service they chose.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Sat 20-Aug-11 10:51:47)

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Aug-11 10:57:12
Print Post

I'm just seeing "it's bound to go wrong and now it has! i was right!" type posts the whole way through.

Given BT get close to 50% of the FTTC signups on their own, there is a distinct lack of problems reported on the forum as a whole. Which is why you griping from the very first post seems a bit disingenuous.

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 11:05:11
Print Post

I'm just seeing "it's bound to go wrong and now it has! i was right!" type posts the whole way through.

Sorry if your views are as blinkered as mine wink

Given BT get close to 50% of the FTTC signups on their own, there is a distinct lack of problems reported on the forum as a whole. Which is why you griping from the very first post seems a bit disingenuous.

Disingenuous; but correct (as it turns out).
God I hate being right wink.
I'd have loved it if everything had gone swimmingly, but somehow I knew it wouldn't.

Obviously (if BT are as great as you say) my second attempt at getting Infinity will go so smoothly I'll barely even notice the engineer was here.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Sat 20-Aug-11 11:06:58)

Standard User DougM
(member) Sat 20-Aug-11 11:07:34
Print Post

Now is a good time to register the number on the Telephone Preference Service, before the number even makes it into the marketing lists. This is effective even if you don't go ex-directory.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/

For anyone unfamiliar with TPS, once a number is registered it becomes an offence under the Privacy and Electronic (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 for anyone in the UK to make an unsolicited marketing call, unless there is a prior business relationship. Since registering years ago I've had almost zero marketing calls despite my number being publicly listed in the telephone directory.

-==-
DougM
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 11:13:01
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

My existing number is on the TPS register, yet I received a call from some scamming PPI mis-selling claims company this very morning, so it appears many companies simply ignore the law.
I also get regular calls from people wishing to help me with my recent car accident (??? - 17 years without an accident, so they must hold some very old records) and my personal injury claim.
There are also the weekly calls asking if I've claimed my government grant for loft insulation.

Trust me; the TPS register doesn't always work (although I will take your advice and pre-register the new number).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 20-Aug-11 11:24:02
Print Post

I just don't get why some people react as if you've insulted them, just because you post some negative comments about a product or service they chose.
I tried to get BT to take back a Virgin phone and keep the number. They couldn't, but Sky could.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Aug-11 11:34:26
Print Post

My existing number is on the TPS register, yet I received a call from some scamming PPI mis-selling claims company this very morning, so it appears many companies simply ignore the law.

Or just call from outside the UK (and EU) using these new super-cheap telephone offerings. I get cold calls from India now frown

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 11:38:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I tried to get BT to take back a Virgin phone and keep the number. They couldn't, but Sky could.

I think all of this shows that there are people (out there) in larger companies who are either poorly trained, incompetent, or simply don't care.
BT should have been able to take back a phone number (if Sky could), as that means Virgin have measures in place to allow release of their phone numbers.
So; either BT and Virgin don't have an agreement, or BT don't have methods to do this, or the people at BT couldn't be bothered (or didn't know how).
Or; as I believe in my case, it's simply easier for BT to allocate a new number, than bother trying to claim back the old one.
Of all companies (given their past history of pointless spats) I'd have thought it would be Sky & Virgin (not to have a routine for migrating phone numbers), rather than BT & Virgin.

But watch out.....They'll come after you......You've posted a negative comment about BT grin

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 11:41:35
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Or just call from outside the UK (and EU) using these new super-cheap telephone offerings. I get cold calls from India now frown

Exactly; which is where the TPS becomes totally ineffective.

I wonder if the call has to originate in the UK (to be bound by the law), or if simply routing the call via India (but the person at the other end of the phone can be sitting somewhere in the UK) gets round the law.
Providing the person in the UK doesn't 'make' the call (it being dialed from outside the EU) does the TPS and the EU law still apply?

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Sat 20-Aug-11 11:57:46
Print Post

I can cancel both SkyTalk (line rental and calls) and BE internet at pretty much anytime (both are out of initial contracts - 12 months for Sky and 3 months for BE) so are each on a one month notice period.

The 3 month contract is a rolling one it never drops to 1 month notice, I think you are confusing it with the old 12 month bevalue ones.

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Aug-11 12:00:03
Print Post

It's worth the effort. The service itself is superb.

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 20-Aug-11 12:02:04
Print Post

... it won't be the end of the World (and will serve to rid my phone of stupid spam calls)
Including those from BT one hopes.
the new number is actually a very good one (very easy to remember)
That's probably a vey useful at your age tongue.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 12:05:28
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kamelion:
The 3 month contract is a rolling one it never drops to 1 month notice, I think you are confusing it with the old 12 month bevalue ones.

BE appear to disagree with you.
From the e-mail they sent
If you want to cancel the service there are two types of cancellation. 1. Express cancellation- will terminate the service in 10 days and it has a 40.85 pounds express cancellation fee. 2. Standard cancellation- requires 1 month notice and your service will be terminated after that month.

From the 'my account' section of the BE website
01295xxxxxx

0 month contract

£18.26 /month

Not only that; I cancelled our work connection last August with BE indicating a one month notice period.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 12:06:45
Print Post

It's worth the effort. The service itself is superb.

That's the only thing keeping me going (that and it'll cost twice as much to send my FTTC custom elsewhere)!

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 12:09:40
Print Post

Trust me; the TPS register doesn't always work (although I will take your advice and pre-register the new number).

And call number two for today.
The first one was a spamming claims-direct type company (but they witheld their number).
Call #2 (15 minutes ago) from Tameside Insulation (in Manchester) trying to sell me loft/cavity insulation. Stupidly; they didn't withold their number, so TPS complaint has already gone in.

TPS doesn't work, it just gives a complaint point when spamming calls still get through.

EDIT: Starting to wonder if asking BT of the possibility of keeping my old number was a monumentally stupid thing to do smile

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Sat 20-Aug-11 12:58:49)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 20-Aug-11 12:13:54
Print Post

I thought that too, so I checked the FAQs.

As Ade says, that is not longer the case. It certainly used to be so though.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 12:15:01
Print Post

As Ade says, that is not longer the case. It certainly used to be so though.

Wouldn't it be quicker if people just accepted what I say grin

Certainly it proves BE is one of the rare companies which trusts you will stay purely based on the quality of their service, rather than forcing you to stay by locking you into an 18 month contract wink

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Sat 20-Aug-11 12:17:02)

Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Sat 20-Aug-11 12:38:49
Print Post

BE appear to disagree with you.
From the e-mail they sent
If you want to cancel the service there are two types of cancellation. 1. Express cancellation- will terminate the service in 10 days and it has a 40.85 pounds express cancellation fee. 2. Standard cancellation- requires 1 month notice and your service will be terminated after that month.

From the 'my account' section of the BE website
01295xxxxxx

0 month contract

£18.26 /month

Not only that; I cancelled our work connection last August with BE indicating a one month notice period.

Sweet , I stand corrected then. Strange how They never emailed me with the change in T&C frown

Not that I would leave, I have had a happy 5 years with BE have a 21 Mbps connection and am on the old pricing so I can afford to wait until They get their butts moving with FTTC.

BeUnlimited
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 12:46:07
Print Post

Sweet , I stand corrected then. Strange how They never emailed me with the change in T&C frown

Nor me. I only found out when I rang to cancel our office connection last year (triggered by a sudden office move, just down the road to share offices with another company in our group), thinking we'd have to give three months notice, only to be told "you've been with us long enough, so we won't impose the three month notice period, you can cancel at the end of the current month" (which was nice; to use a Patrick Nice-ism).

Not that I would leave, I have had a happy 5 years with BE have a 21 Mbps connection and am on the old pricing so I can afford to wait until They get their butts moving with FTTC.

I'm only leaving because I'm so far from the exchange I have a maximum sync of 5Mbps, and I'll easily get the full 40Mbps from FTTC products (an eight-fold increase for an extra £10 a month - a no brainer really).
I just wish BE would stop dithering (about providing an FTTC based product) and just get on with it!

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Sat 20-Aug-11 12:47:07
Print Post

YOUR PACKAGE
0161xxxxxx
0 month contract
£22.44 /month
You'll get a download speed of around 16.0 meg on your line. Existing BE members with lines like yours get between 12.0 meg and 19.0 meg.

Only just noticed that. Another reason why BE are the best!

BeUnlimited
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 12:51:21
Print Post

Another reason why BE are the best!

Yup.
At £22.44/month, are you on a legacy BE Pro product (currently new customers have to pay £27/month), or did you just join BE too late to get on the £18.26/month for the legacy BE Unlimited products (like the one I'm shortly due to cancel)?

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Sat 20-Aug-11 13:14:36
Print Post

Re: Well now I"ve gone and done it! - Aborted!!!!!!!

Hi Adebov,

I am sorry to hear that your order was messed up. I would like to take a look at this for you, to see what is going on. Please could you send me in your details using http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950

Thanks

Paddy,
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 14:12:22
Print Post

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

Thanks Paddy. It's a shame you didn't notice this post on Thursday.
Details sent (ref: 110820-003097).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 17:18:52
Print Post

You know; I thought that, too
I guess I just don't get the fan-boy mentality. I have an XBOX360, yet I also have two PS3s. I have a desktop PC and a laptop, yet I have an i-phone. I'm currently with BE, yet I'm moving to BT.

roflol is there a hint of sarcascim in that their statement laugh

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Sat 20-Aug-11 20:00:55
Print Post

Legacy pro I've been with BE 5 years now and switched to pro when they dropped it from £40 a month. It's outstanding value for money really and although I have many options open to me (100 meg virgin cable, FTTC from BT etc) I can't justify losing what I have just to get double speeds when I won't use it.

BeUnlimited

Edited by kamelion (Sat 20-Aug-11 20:03:04)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 20:48:31
Print Post

Exactly; and if I had the same sort of speeds as you, I wouldn't be switching either.
Unfortunately; my line is 5.23km long (or 6.94km - depending whether you believe an actual test or BT's flaky database) so my maximum sync is around 5Mbps down / 1.1Mbps up.
So for me, at least an eight-fold increase in speed (I'm sure to get maximum sync as my line, to the cabinet, will probably be shorter than 200m) with more to come shortly, is too much of a tempation to pass over.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Aug-11 23:24:19
Print Post

Legacy pro I've been with BE 5 years now and switched to pro when they dropped it from £40 a month. It's outstanding value for money really and although I have many options open to me (100 meg virgin cable, FTTC from BT etc) I can't justify losing what I have just to get double speeds when I won't use it.

If I had 2.2mbps upload, I'd probably say. My 25db line used to get 2.0mbps upload, but with crosstalk and a massive failure that OpenReach fixed last year, I'm really hoping FTTC arrives soon frown

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Sat 20-Aug-11 23:59:06
Print Post

Yes if I were in your position I would go for FTTC too, it just makes sense. Shame BE can't provide it for you.

BeUnlimited
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Aug-11 09:30:21
Print Post

I think all of this shows that there are people (out there) in larger companies who are either poorly trained, incompetent, or simply don't care.

Very succinctly put.

You can retain a number and move it from Virgin to BT, I have done this many times for punters, it's called a 'number portability' task.

But watch out.....They'll come after you......You've posted a negative comment about BT

It is strange how fanatical some seem to become about there ISP's. I work for the scrotes, but am fully aware how badly wrong they can, and do get it.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Aug-11 09:58:45
Print Post

What's most annoying about all of this (obviously excluding BT's original screw-up) is a friend (connected to the same exchange) ordered Infinity yesterday (migration only, on his existing phone line - so the same as mine, except he doesn't need BT to do a 'return to donor') and his install date is this Friday (so BT can get their act into gear.......when they want to).
He gets his Inifinity six days after ordering.
I get mine 19 days after ordering.
Even the original messed up order had an 18 day lead time.

Apparently BT can give you Infinity within a week of ordering, but if you want a phone line from them, it takes the better part of three weeks frown

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 21-Aug-11 10:07:24
Print Post

Very succinctly put.

You can retain a number and move it from Virgin to BT, I have done this many times for punters, it's called a 'number portability' task.
I know you 'can' because Sky did and the Openreach engineer turned up to do it.

I can only think that BTRetail, who presumably would have to order a 'number portability task', either could not or would not do it for their own reasons.

I'm a little concerned about the quality of the wiring the Openreach engineer has left us with however.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Aug-11 10:10:19
Print Post

I got my invite for Infinity the day it went live on my exchange, but waited three weeks before the install (yes that's even doing the install myself). A mate who hadn't registered interest (in the staff deal), finds out from me that it's gone live, and so calls the staff 'Actionline' service, and gets his within a week.

The world isn't a fair place, so it's best not to dwell on these things.

I sincerely hope you find it worth all the effort, when the dust settles.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Aug-11 10:12:16
Print Post

I know I'm going to regret this .......... smile

I'm a little concerned about the quality of the wiring the Openreach engineer has left us with however.

In what way ? Can you post some pictures ?

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Aug-11 10:17:58
Print Post

I sincerely hope you find it worth all the effort, when the dust settles.

I'm sure I will.
Even if it ends up being throttled to death (unlikely in the early stages as there are so few customers), there's no way it can be slower than my current ADSL2+ (which gives a stable sync at around 4.6 to 4.8Mbps, but will go as high as 5Mbps but won't hold at that for more than a day or two).

Don't do p2p/Torrents so I would think I'll see decent speeds at all times.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 21-Aug-11 10:18:40
Print Post

smile

I'll have a look this week and let you know wink

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Aug-11 10:19:29
Print Post

Cushty.

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Aug-11 14:54:48
Print Post

Should run close to full speed the vast majority of the time for you then. I've only noticed it running slow (like 12mbit instead of 23mbit that I get) a handful of times mostly in the early evening.

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Aug-11 15:34:18
Print Post

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

Just to keep the forum updated (and to let others know there are at least two people at BT able to help with these matters); I had a call from BT_Care today (not Paddy, but one of his colleagues).
They have arrange to refund any monies charged as part of the cancelled order (no big surprise there, as they'd have had to do it anyway).
More importantly they've checked on the progress of the new order and all appears to be in good shape (return to donor of my Sky line and activation of Infinity).
So (at present) it all looks good for September 7th.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Aug-11 19:36:54
Print Post

More importantly they've checked on the progress of the new order and all appears to be in good shape (return to donor of my Sky line and activation of Infinity).

My experience of these type installs, is that the engineer turns up, and you still have Sky dial tone on the line. Possibly with a different number from that on your task notes, you go ahead with install anyhow, as the routing will be the same, and hopefully at some point, the exchange staff rerun your jumper to the new PSTN equipment, 'com' their task, and you get your new number also. In reality, I have often ended up traveling to the exchange to do the jumpering myself. But if the engineer who comes to do the FTTC install isn't frames trained, it's no biggie, just ask them to go ahead, as the renumber will happen at some point the same day.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Aug-11 20:03:40
Print Post

Thanks; useful information.
It might be useful if BT do go ahead and give me a new number (that way it will be clearly obvious, even to me, it's already been switched from Sky to BT).
I'm not on Sky's own telephone equipment (not to my knowledge anyway) as I've had Sky line rental from well before Sky unbundled our exchange this Spring, so I assume it will be just entries on a keyboard, rather than physically patching cables at the exchange?

Hopefully the engineer will be one driving about 40 miles outside of his normal area smile

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Mon 22-Aug-11 20:06:27)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Aug-11 21:39:58
Print Post

I'm not on Sky's own telephone equipment

Lift the handset and dial 17070, if it is Sky dial tone you'll get an annoying American voice saying,
"Hi, I'm Zoe, I'm here to ensure your phone service is the very best, ...... etc, etc."
If not, it's wholesale dial tone.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Aug-11 21:42:09
Print Post

You know; I haven't even bothered doing the 17070 thing since leaving BT (I just assumed it wouldn't do anything, so I never tried).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Aug-11 20:03:16
Print Post

Well BT are certainly quicker off the mark when billing, compared to actually installing the product.

They've already debited £28 from my bank account for a service which doesn't even go live for another 12 days!
So, based on this (and assuming the same direct debit date each month), I'll be perpetually paying for 12 days of broadband I've never even had.

Still not sure this 2nd attempt will go smoothly (given I've just received a letter from BT saying "someone has told us they're moving to your address on 7th Sept. and have asked us to take over the line"......I've also received a letter from Sky saying "sorry you're moving and leaving us").

OK; BT's office staff might not be the sharpest tools in the box, but surely if I answered the question "how long have you lived at your current address" with the answer "8 years" and that address is the same as the one where the line will be connected, it's not exaclty rocket science to work out I'm not moving. Grrrr.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 26-Aug-11 20:23:49
Print Post

If you are taking your number you had with sky you can still be classed as a "moving customer" as numbers may be ported or a cease and re-provide is in order. I wouldnt worry.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Aug-11 21:24:40
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
If you are taking your number you had with sky you can still be classed as a "moving customer" as numbers may be ported or a cease and re-provide is in order. I wouldnt worry.

I'm hoping this is the case.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Aug-11 08:24:43
Print Post

They've already debited £28 from my bank account for a service which doesn't even go live for another 12 days!

Idiot bank. Fancy telling me the direct debit payment (from the BT instruction) was debited on 23rd August, without telling me the debited amount was zero! Why even bother showing the date on the list of direct debits.
Stupidly; I assume that because BT had taken a payment, that it would actually be £28.
It didn't even occur to me my bank would bother advising me a payment has been taken, when the amount of the payment was zero - DOH!

Turns out 'Dave' from Mumbai was correct (and BT haven't taken a payment yet).
BT 1 : 0 My Bank

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Sat 27-Aug-11 08:28:54)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 28-Aug-11 15:18:05
Print Post

Sounds like BT tried to take zero to ensure the DD was set up.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Aug-11 16:17:25
Print Post

That would fit the chain of events.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to