General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Wed 17-Aug-11 20:01:56
Print Post

Re: Alternatives to BT's VDSL modem

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

given that vdsl is supposedly backward compatible to adsl / adsl2 etc, what would happen if an adsl2 modem were plugged in instead ?
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Aug-11 20:35:48
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Pass, have seen ADSL2+ producing sync on a VDSL modem, but no PPP on the router, could this be PPPoA/E different VPI/VCI settings ?

Standard User GMAN98
(committed) Wed 17-Aug-11 20:35:50
Print Post

Easy.. it wouldn't work smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mr_bean
(regular) Wed 17-Aug-11 20:42:38
Print Post

given that vdsl is supposedly backward compatible to adsl / adsl2 etc, what would happen if an adsl2 modem were plugged in instead ?
It might be able sync up at the dsl level but as ADSL modems are expecting ATM and the remote end is expecting Ethernet frames I doubt that much else would happen.
Standard User DougM
(member) Wed 17-Aug-11 21:08:07
Print Post

I'm running a Fritz!Box 7390 VDSL2 modem/router for my ADSL2+ connection to Sky, but I'm not sure it would work the other way round.

-==-
DougM
Standard User cmn
(member) Thu 18-Aug-11 01:36:44
Print Post

[re: ccomley] [link to this post]

BT are on the 2nd version modems now (2V) which should be more reliable.

However if you want a business class VDSL router then how about a Cisco 877VA

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Aug-11 08:50:03
Print Post

Correct it will be the other setting that control authentication handshaking that are the issue, the physical xDSL transport layer should work

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 18-Aug-11 14:42:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
What's wrong with the Modem; ok, it's unreliable (on my second one),

To this end, they are now shipping version 2 modems, the fault on the originals have been traced to the goo beneath the heat sink(sic) not being thick enough and causing the overheating problems.

That said, mine has run fault free since last November, the secret being having it mounted upright.

That is a poor excuse - the thermal grease should be as THIN as possible to get the maximum transfer of heat. With a flat ceramic chip and smooth heatsink it is only required to fill the minor imperfections in the two surfaces.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User DLS
(newbie) Thu 18-Aug-11 16:03:56
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That is a poor excuse - the thermal grease should be as THIN as possible to get the maximum transfer of heat. With a flat ceramic chip and smooth heatsink it is only required to fill the minor imperfections in the two surfaces.

I agree absolutely; however, I've also heard the "grease not thick enough" excuse when what was really meant was that the grease was simply the wrong stuff. I've no idea what's used in the modems, but some years ago I came across CPU failures in high-end servers due to overheating arising from grease issues. The spec of the grease had to be something containing heavy metals for greater thermal conductivity.

Unpleasant smells - not necessarily the usual smell of burning - were a common symptom.

Also, I think silk screen application helped to eliminate the erroneous "slap plenty on" mentality.

Dave
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 18-Aug-11 16:15:58
Print Post

[re: DLS] [link to this post]

One using carbon are the best - there are some compounds which have diamond dust in them! The metal based ones using elements such as silver, copper and aluminium are a lot better than the ceramic based ones too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to