General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 19-Aug-11 10:24:11
Print Post

Re: Alternatives to BT's VDSL modem

[re: ccomley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ccomley:
I can only note that the GOOD news is they provide a modem and NOT a full router, so at least we're still in control of the firewall, etc., processes on our own kit inboard of the modem. Small mercies...

Someone that seems to understand part of the reasons behind BTs decision to supply a separate modem.

BT control the data and line - they then present the end user with an Ethernet WAN connection. The user can then deal with that in what ever way they want whilst BT can manage the line and diagnose any problems.

The BT (Huawei) modem has been in service for 2 years - that is at least a year longer than any of the others. It may have been put into service with some minor production faults but why did the others not release theirs? Incomplete design? Failed testing? Did not work?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 19-Aug-11 10:29:26
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

I understand that the VDSL equipment in the cabinet can also work in various ADSL modes. Whether this is autodetetcted or needs intervention I don't know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 28-Aug-11 20:07:45
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

it would be essentially pointless as the power levels on adsl frequencies are reduced to match those coming form the exchange to avoid issues with existing services. The only benefit I could see would be almost seamless transition from adsl to vdsl (i.e. bt connect you when they please - then you do router end on the day quoted on self install). More trouble than it is worth imo.

Posting here as I have not seen it mentioned, that Openreach have been issuing new modems that do not fry themselves. They will be replacing old models on sight. If you look at the sticker on the bottom of your modem it will have a "2B" in the top right hand corner if it is the newer model. Had one run for 2 hours on the flat and was only warm - old model could get scorching in half that time.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Aug-11 21:04:32
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I cannot see a '2B' on mine and it is only warm too. Mind you, it is my thrid one in less than a year grin.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Aug-11 23:30:30
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
I cannot see a '2B' on mine and it is only warm too. Mind you, it is my thrid one in less than a year grin.

DrT

Can't see '2B' on mine either and it has been running since early April. It is fairly warm, it sits on the top of a bookcase

So it comes down to '2B' or not '2B' grin

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 28-Aug-11 23:53:02
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

Whether 'tis better on the wall to mount
The modem type kit of outrageous BT
Or to take blinds against a ray of sun
And by blocking thwart them. To die - to sleep,
No more.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Aug-11 12:18:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Whether 'tis better on the wall to mount
The modem type kit of outrageous BT
Or to take blinds against a ray of sun
And by blocking thwart them. To die - to sleep,
No more.

smile

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Aug-11 18:20:31
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

Can't see '2B' on mine either and it has been running since early April

... that's because the new models have only been around since the start of August. wink

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Aug-11 19:29:13
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Just out of interest, if it were possible to buy one of BTO's modems, how much would they cost? It is a shame that they are not for sale as I would LOVE to have a spare. It is a real PITA to be off-line or have a flaky connection until a visit can be arranged.

It could be a nice little earner for BTO.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Edited by DrTeeth (Mon 29-Aug-11 19:29:42)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Aug-11 19:31:14
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by G3UZF:
What's wrong with the Modem; ok, it's unreliable (on my second one), but it's free to replace. Just have to suffer the down time.

That *is* the problem with it wink. I'd love to have a spare handy.

DrT de G4DWV, 4X1LT

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to