General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Sep-11 19:57:32
Print Post

Re: Alternatives to BT's VDSL modem

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

My modem is wall mounted next to my front door (nice & cool) it doesn't even really get warm if I'm honest, and hasn't been turned off since I got installed in June.

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
Sync 40000D 10000U
Standard User DougM
(member) Fri 02-Sep-11 20:04:56
Print Post

[re: chrisadsl] [link to this post]

I bought my 7390 from momilc. Great service, including three human emails keeping me informed on stock and despatch (I ordered when they had none in stock).

-==-
DougM
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Sep-11 20:10:55
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

couple on the bay going for £189, what is the sync rate and throughput like on these?

BT Infinity
Sync 40000D 10000U

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Sep-11 22:22:45
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

Mine is on 2 screws in the computer cabinet, and has run spot on since November. Not too worried, as I know a man who can replace it pronto, if it does go Pete Tong. wink

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Sep-11 22:46:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by lockyatlrg:
Is the Billion BiPAC 8200N any good?

As in does it sync as good as the BT OP set-up and is it as fast?

The test 8200M that I tested (modem only) synced 12% slower than BTO's modem. The 8200N does not have GBit ethernet either.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User DougM
(member) Fri 02-Sep-11 23:47:10
Print Post

My Fritz!Box 7390 is currently connected to ADSL2+ pending activation of the new VDSL2 cabinet, so I cannot comment on experience with VDSL2 throughput. I've been running the router a couple of months and it is very reliable and retains sync better than the Cisco 877W it replaced.

On the LAN and wireless side I am extremely happy. My Cisco router's wireless didn't quite cover the house, but this one allows my iPad to connect at a rock-solid 85Mbps in a room where it previously struggled to get anything. My iMac sits at its maximum 150Mbps constantly. The router supports simultaneous dual band wireless, 5GHz allows most of my devices to avoid the noisy 2.4GHz spectrum. The Ethernet ports are all gigabit and transfers between hosts fly.

The telephony features are brilliant, I have paired my existing DECT phones which can now dial out through VoIP or via the fixed-line based on call routing rules defined in the interface. Calls to family overseas go via Skype Connect (SIP-based access to Skype, which is cheap but not free).

I'll report back on VDSL2 experiences once I'm connected and bedded-in.

-==-
DougM
Standard User brownhalebarns
(newbie) Sun 04-Sep-11 12:55:06
Print Post

[re: cmn] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cmn:
During my install (4 circuits) I mentioned the overheating problem and asked for a spare, the engineer said he had just been to the stores and had a van full and handed me a spare so it's worth asking.

All mine seem to be the new version ones - http://stuff.futile.net/fttc/modem.jpg

As the picture shows, there are 2 possible ways to orientate the vdsl on the wall. Is one way better than the other? Out of ignorance, I have chosen to position mine on the wall so that all the leads come out the bottom.
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Sep-11 14:42:47
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Doesn't seem good,

I have been looking ant the fritz box and feature set looks good, any comparison with the OR modem?

BT Infinity
Sync 40000D 10000U
Standard User lenaspell
(committed) Sun 04-Sep-11 14:43:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Whether 'tis better on the wall to mount
The modem type kit of outrageous BT
Or to take blinds against a ray of sun
And by blocking thwart them. To die - to sleep,
No more.

laugh

Len

Zen Fibre Active. Router Netgear N300 WNR2000.
Windows 7 Pro 64bit and iMac 9.1 and MacBook both running Snow Leopard smile
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Sep-11 17:05:19
Print Post

[re: brownhalebarns] [link to this post]

I have chosen to position mine on the wall so that all the leads come out the bottom.

That's the way I always do mine, the internet runs quicker out of the LAN port with the assistance of gravity ! smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to