General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gagravarr
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-11 11:23:13
Print Post

FTTC - Everyone on my street can get it except me...

[link to this post]

I'm on the Oxford exchange, which had FTTC delayed a few times, but is now showing on the OpenReach List as accepting orders.

When I use the BT adsl checker, with either my phone number or address, it makes no mention of WBC FTTC Broadband at all. (The postcode checker does say I should get 39.1 downstream). When I use the address checker with other addresses on my (100m long) road, it says they can all get FTTC at speeds in the 38-39 downstream range. I've tried the phone number checked with a few numbers I know for other people on my road, and for all of them it gives the same answer as the address checker, i.e. FTTC is available. With address checks, I've tried both sides of the street, and places at various points along it, they all (apart for me) are listed as FTTC available.

It would appear that BT have a broken database, and have neglected to list me when they did the rest of the street. Is that likely, or are there other reasons why someone might miss out when the rest of the street is FTTC enabled?
Standard User DougM
(member) Fri 26-Aug-11 11:38:18
Print Post

Re: FTTC - Everyone on my street can get it except me...

[re: gagravarr] [link to this post]

Do you currently pay line rental to BT, or has you line been taken over by another supplier?

A few people have been caught out when their line was transferred to Sky or TalkTalk, where the number no longer returns data for the number.

-==-
DougM
Standard User gagravarr
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-11 12:02:00
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DougM:
Do you currently pay line rental to BT, or has you line been taken over by another supplier?

It's a BT Wholesale supplied line. The ADSL checker will happily tell me about ADSL and ADSL 2 options for the line, so it's not that there's no data for me just that it doesn't include any FTTC parts frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 26-Aug-11 13:05:41
Print Post

One street can be supplied by two cabinets - one enabled, the other not, creating the scenario you describe.

Some site posters have a copy of BT's rollout database, so if you posted up your postcode, or at least the first part of it, I/they could have a look for you at that area and see if the theory above might hold true.

Perhaps the best bet is to ring the provider you'd be going with and ask them to check availability.
Standard User gagravarr
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-11 13:35:02
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Some site posters have a copy of BT's rollout database, so if you posted up your postcode, or at least the first part of it, I/they could have a look for you at that area and see if the theory above might hold true.

It's "OX1 1xx" (centre-west of Oxford)

Perhaps the best bet is to ring the provider you'd be going with and ask them to check availability.

They seemed to think that the BT database was the word of god, and were generally not very helpful. This is possibly a sign that I'd need to switch to a different provider as part of an ADSL2 -> FTTC move!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 26-Aug-11 13:58:50
Print Post

That postcode area is served by 158 cabinets, so the full list is too long to paste in.

About half (81) are scheduled to receive a service and there are no plans for the others.

The following postcode areas are served by more than one cabinet and there is no planned fibre service

OX1 1SW OX1 1AY OX1 1HH OX1 1TB OX1 1JD OX1 1BS
OX1 1RW OX1 1ER OX1 1DP OX1 1NU OX1 1ND OX1 1DW
OX1 1NF OX1 1ZZ OX1 1BP OX1 1DW OX1 1NF OX1 1HP
OX1 1HP OX1 1HP OX1 1JD OX1 1PD OX1 1ER OX1 1DP
OX1 1PD OX1 1BP OX1 1PP OX1 1JA OX1 1BT OX1 1NU
OX1 1BS OX1 1HH

If the original document is still online somewhere (I have it locally) maybe someone can paste a link.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 26-Aug-11 14:31:43
Print Post

Check your PMs - the flashing icon on the menu bar.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Fri 26-Aug-11 18:16:03
Print Post

They seemed to think that the BT database was the word of god, and were generally not very helpful. This is possibly a sign that I'd need to switch to a different provider as part of an ADSL2 -> FTTC move!

Remember that only around 60 ISPs are involved in FTTC currently, and many only on a trial basis. Suggest you check whether your existing ISP offers FTTC before asking them questions about availability!

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Standard User gagravarr
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-11 19:31:03
Print Post

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by New_Londoner:
Remember that only around 60 ISPs are involved in FTTC currently, and many only on a trial basis. Suggest you check whether your existing ISP offers FTTC before asking them questions about availability!

My current ISP does offer FTTC. Well, they say they do, as does their website, I can't actually check this claim as they won't let me order when the BT database says no (hence the query!)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 26-Aug-11 22:06:38
Print Post

Post code?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User gagravarr
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-11 22:26:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Post code?

Apologies, I thought I'd PM'd it to you earlier, but it isn't showing up in my sent list :/ I've just resent the PM, and it looks to have worked this time, shout if not!
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Aug-11 00:32:27
Print Post

Oxford FTTC mapped:- http://batchgeo.com/map/4a5ca0df88118045b0cdbeb50bd6...

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User gagravarr
(newbie) Sat 27-Aug-11 01:07:21
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 5km:

Thanks for that. It would appear to explain the situation - there is a marker exactly on top of where I live. The marker even has my postcode on it. One slight downside though, it's a Red marker in a sea of otherwise Blue ones...
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Mon 29-Aug-11 15:50:47
Print Post

Did you do anything with the data for that map to cope with postcodes that are supplied from 2 different cabinets?

If not, you'll find that some of the markers are hidden behind others, giving a false impression of coverage.
Standard User Croftie
(regular) Mon 29-Aug-11 17:09:15
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:

Did you do anything with the data for that map to cope with postcodes that are supplied from 2 different cabinets?

If not, you'll find that some of the markers are hidden behind others, giving a false impression of coverage.

It looks like on such markers the popup has two pages. Though there isn't anything to indicate a marker represents 2 cabs, so you would need to view each marker popup individually to know whether it represents 2 cabs or not. Which is a shame but it's a good tool none the less.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 29-Aug-11 18:40:48
Print Post

That's amazing, how did you get all of that info in a spreadsheet?
Could you do it for Orpington Kent please?
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Aug-11 19:15:25
Print Post

Orpington:- http://batchgeo.com/map/df7844d366d42e3d2bfdcccb52cb...

Data is taken from an openreach spreadsheet that was leaked.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 29-Aug-11 20:10:31
Print Post

Orpington:- http://batchgeo.com/map/df7844d366d42e3d2bfdcccb52cb...

Data is taken from an openreach spreadsheet that was leaked.

Thanks for that! Where can the full document be found?
Standard User Embraer
(member) Tue 30-Aug-11 00:26:38
Print Post

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4916299/Postcode%20Report%20...

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule extended by 2 AEs. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, See Ya O2 once FTTC FINALLY arrives from my cab
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 30-Aug-11 08:09:23
Print Post

Send me your phone number with postcode and I'll contact our Openreach team regarding your enquiry.

I would always recommend ignoring the "postcode" checker as it always shows you can get it if the exchange is live, and is not checking your actual address or line, hence why the number or address checker is more accurate.

Thanks,

James

In reply to a post by gagravarr:
I'm on the Oxford exchange, which had FTTC delayed a few times, but is now showing on the OpenReach List as accepting orders.

When I use the BT adsl checker, with either my phone number or address, it makes no mention of WBC FTTC Broadband at all. (The postcode checker does say I should get 39.1 downstream). When I use the address checker with other addresses on my (100m long) road, it says they can all get FTTC at speeds in the 38-39 downstream range. I've tried the phone number checked with a few numbers I know for other people on my road, and for all of them it gives the same answer as the address checker, i.e. FTTC is available. With address checks, I've tried both sides of the street, and places at various points along it, they all (apart for me) are listed as FTTC available.

It would appear that BT have a broken database, and have neglected to list me when they did the rest of the street. Is that likely, or are there other reasons why someone might miss out when the rest of the street is FTTC enabled?

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 30-Aug-11 13:25:17
Print Post

Nifty website and interesting data. Looks like the Headington exchange did a lot better, coverage wise...

http://batchgeo.com/map/headington
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 30-Aug-11 14:30:13
Print Post

For anyone who's interested, the rest of the Oxford exchanges mapped...

http://batchgeo.com/map/summertown
http://batchgeo.com/map/cowley
http://batchgeo.com/map/oxfordfttc
Standard User TheManStan
(newbie) Tue 30-Aug-11 21:28:30
Print Post

Thanks for that, i'm on the cowley exchange.

Quite a lot of FTTP is going in on this exchange.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 30-Aug-11 21:41:31
Print Post

Wouldn't be much point doing my town as its 100% covered lol

BT Infinity
~200m from NILDW PCP21
40000/10000 Sync
Standard User Johnct
(committed) Wed 31-Aug-11 23:27:10
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

no its not 100% covered
Standard User oxygendebt
(newbie) Fri 09-Sep-11 20:24:49
Print Post

This is enormously helpful info. I have been waiting for FTTC on my Oxford cabinet (postcode OX2 0BH). The BT DSL checker still says 'by 30th Sept' for my phone number in this postcode.

Yet this Oxford map shows a blue flag for my postcode; neighbours a couple of streets away, also with a blue flag, get a positive result for their phone number from the BT checker.

I can't order FTTC from any ISP since the BT checker is negative for my postcode.

What's this all about? The Openreach database for the map says I should be able to get FTTC already, and yet the BT checker says not.

Any thoughts, anyone?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 09-Sep-11 22:24:34
Print Post

[re: oxygendebt] [link to this post]

Cabinet 50. Have a look within 30 metres or so for an FTTC cabinet and if you find it listen to hear if it is powered up.

What is your neighbour's postcode? I can check if it is the same or a different cabinet.

I think the map you are looking at just goes from the "Deployed" field on the spreadsheet I'm looking at, and that just means it will be done in the current plans.

Standard User oxygendebt
(newbie) Fri 09-Sep-11 22:46:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Neighbours are on different cabinet (OX2 0DB, cabinet 8). I know where the respective cabinets are so will listen to them!

'My' cabinet is rather more than 30m away - about 400m (in location OX2 0AH).

So, the 'deployed' field on the Openreach spready means 'expected to be made live but not necessarily done yet'?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 09-Sep-11 22:51:30
Print Post

Well the fact they are on a different cabinet explains it, and by "30 metres or so" I meant from cabinet 50, not from you smile.

Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Sat 10-Sep-11 00:26:43
Print Post

Yes, the "deployed" field set to "Yes" means exactly that - "included in the plans sometime".

A value of "No" does NOT mean that it is out of the plans either! Instead, it appears to mean that it *was* in the plans, but has now either been removed or deferred - so you can't tell either way.

A blank entry means that it isn't included in the plans at all.
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Sep-11 09:39:13
Print Post

Your cabinet isn't 400m away according to my data.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=51.75248,-1.27376&...

Your cab is facing the entrance to Bridge Street:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=51.75248,-1.27376&...

You'll have no problem seeing the 40Mb SYNC smile

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User oxygendebt
(newbie) Mon 12-Sep-11 20:29:42
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

James

Thanks for taking the trouble to look. You're right that there are existing pale green BT cabinets where you indicate; but there are no adjacent new dark green FTTC cabs.

Other neighbourhood FTTC cabs were installed 6 months ago - there were planning notifications back in Jan 11. These are at OX2 0AH and OX2 0BU.

I think the cabinet (p50) indicated on the deployment list for my postcode (OX2 0BH) must be one of these - I guess that at OX2 0AH since that one is silent. Its distance from my house (400m) 'matches' the estimated sync I get from the BT checker for FTTC - which is 27 down, 6 up. Not a 40/10 sync!

Anyone care to PM with an email address for Johnny McQuiod - I see from the forum that he's the head of fibre for BT and responds to emails.

Thanks all!

Edited by oxygendebt (Mon 12-Sep-11 21:19:57)

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Sep-11 20:52:43
Print Post

[email protected]

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Sep-11 20:54:02
Print Post

Let us know if you get a reply from Jonathan - I'm in a similar situation, my cab is one of three on a long road, and the only one not to yet have FTTC installed; and the checker says 30th Sept for me, but has moved twice :-/

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User oxygendebt
(newbie) Fri 23-Sep-11 19:39:26
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I did get an answer from Openreach, yes. My cabinet (I know know for certain which cab I am served from) is in a Conservation Area, and that appears to be the reason why it was left out of the local rollout in April 11. Funnily enough, the planning application for its installation has gone in now, days after my query.....
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Sep-11 21:06:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by oxygendebt:
I did get an answer from Openreach, yes. My cabinet (I know know for certain which cab I am served from) is in a Conservation Area, and that appears to be the reason why it was left out of the local rollout in April 11. Funnily enough, the planning application for its installation has gone in now, days after my query.....

Thanks - I've just emailed, lets see smile

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Sep-11 17:16:13
Print Post

Just remember that given the roll out numbers BT are quoting I suspect that each regional PM would have between 3 to 5 thousand cabs to do this year.

I suspect that each time the directors are e-mailed that it goes straight to the PMs for an urgent answer and they have to drop whatever they are doing to respond.

I suspect!
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Sep-11 19:43:09
Print Post

Just remember that given the roll out numbers BT are quoting I suspect that each regional PM would have between 3 to 5 thousand cabs to do this year.

I suspect that each time the directors are e-mailed that it goes straight to the PMs for an urgent answer and they have to drop whatever they are doing to respond.

I suspect!

Yes - I can appreciate that. I'm optimistic of a response, but not expecting one. I would expect BT to have good "spam" and "external email" defences smile

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Sep-11 20:04:33
Print Post

What's your exchange and cab number?
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Sep-11 06:12:03
Print Post

Exchange: Farnborough, Hants (THFB) - Cabinet 5.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to