General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 1nfern0
(newbie) Fri 02-Sep-11 09:50:46
Print Post

Re: FTTC migration AAISP-->BT Complete

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by ionic:
Can't understand why the sync speed would be different given that it's the same line, presumably the same modem, connected to the same cabinet, probably still to the same port.
Apart from the silly speed test result, typical of a user running Kaspersky or Avira, (and thus making the AAISP results doubtful), who mentioned sync speed?

The OP is talking about throughput.

My sync has been far more stable this last few days, perhaps this could be due to my profile being reset on migration and no adverse conditions to knock it back down. Nothing else has changed, same modem, etc.

I'm not using any of the above packages but wan't aware that the they can affect the test.
That said, the BT test I ran gave me in the region of 38-39Mbit over a couple of runs as well. I'm at work currently so can't run either that or the TBB test to verify the max throughput. I'm approx 100-150m from the Cab so seems consistent. I'll run a couple more tests tonight for comparison.

Regardless, if my sync stays consistent I'll be happy with the change.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 02-Sep-11 09:56:37
Print Post

[re: 1nfern0] [link to this post]

You do not know your sync speed. You can have a rough idea from the IP Profile which you can see from the BT speed test.

The highest IP Profile is 38717Kbps. If you get a reading higher than that your IS suite is probably messing things up by buffering whilsr checking.

All OOKLA based speedtesters such as speedtest.net can be affected.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User 1nfern0
(newbie) Fri 02-Sep-11 09:57:21
Print Post

Re: FTTC migration AAISP-->BT Complete *DELETED*

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadbandjockey:
In reply to a post by 1nfern0:
... nested quotes trimmed ...

What was the charge for doing so ?

There was no charge for the change over as I was just out of my one year contract. As others have mentioned, the main reason I avoided BT originally was the outdated usage limits which at the time AAISP was better suited.

Well, that's interesting, because every other FTTC ISP I've contacted have quoted 60 Quid (Inc VAT) to migrate an FTTC service, because that's BT Wholesale's charge, yet BT Retail would seem to 'absorb' it. Ummmm. If only Ofcom had proper teeth !

I'd have been a little grumpy if I'd been quoted that. I simply raised a MAC request with AAISP through their site, logged onto BT and registered with Infinity. Process took no longer than 10mins end to end. Took advantage of the 3 months free offer too with BT so near £90 better off to begin with.
My only doubt still lingering is that Be will release a product sometime soon but after waiting over a year with sky since registering interest, who knows what will happen.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 02-Sep-11 10:00:15
Print Post

Quote:-

With AAISP my sync speed used to fluctuate between 32-35mbit quite regularly but from the moment of the switch over BT I'm now syncing at 38mbit and getting the attached speedtest.

End Quote
Ah, so he did, but he is mistaken. See my post a minute ago about IP Profiles.

The only way we can know our sync is if the engineer told us at installation time, and even then it will usually vary. Or by replacing the OR modem by your own VDSL2 router.

I believe he means 38717kbps IP Profile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User 1nfern0
(newbie) Fri 02-Sep-11 10:13:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Quote:-

With AAISP my sync speed used to fluctuate between 32-35mbit quite regularly but from the moment of the switch over BT I'm now syncing at 38mbit and getting the attached speedtest.

End Quote
Ah, so he did, but he is mistaken. See my post a minute ago about IP Profiles.

The only way we can know our sync is if the engineer told us at installation time, and even then it will usually vary. Or by replacing the OR modem by your own VDSL2 router.

I believe he means 38717kbps IP Profile.

Consider myself corrected, it is indeed my IP profile. for comparison my Upstream profile is 10000kbps with a current 823Kbps upload speed according to the last BT test.
Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Fri 02-Sep-11 10:26:03
Print Post

[re: 1nfern0] [link to this post]

There was no charge for the change over as I was just out of my one year contract. As others have mentioned, the main reason I avoided BT originally was the outdated usage limits which at the time AAISP was better suited.

Well, that's interesting, because every other FTTC ISP I've contacted have quoted 60 Quid (Inc VAT) to migrate an FTTC service, because that's BT Wholesale's charge, yet BT Retail would seem to 'absorb' it. Ummmm. If only Ofcom had proper teeth !

I'd have been a little grumpy if I'd been quoted that. I simply raised a MAC request with AAISP through their site, logged onto BT and registered with Infinity. Process took no longer than 10mins end to end. Took advantage of the 3 months free offer too with BT so near £90 better off to begin with.
My only doubt still lingering is that Be will release a product sometime soon but after waiting over a year with sky since registering interest, who knows what will happen.

It's actually caused me to abandon plans to migrate. I'm currently with IDNet, very happy with the quality of service, but the allowance is rather mean compared with other ISPs.
On the 30 Gigs/m package, for 29 Quid/m. Current usage is around 18-20 Gigs/month.
If I had a higher allowance, I'd use more data hungry services.

Can't (easily) go with BT Infinity because my predicted speed is 14 Mb/s (reality is a download of about double that)

60 quid would pay for 60 Gigs worth of overuse with IDNet if I ever did go over my limit, so I'll stay put with them, and wait either for BTW to reduce the migration charge, and/or BE to offer an FTTC product that doesn't involve BTW's backhaul.

Edited by broadbandjockey (Fri 02-Sep-11 10:27:44)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Sep-11 11:53:34
Print Post

What was the charge for doing so ?

I been sayiing it and will say it again, BT have somehow reduced the cost per mbit to about 1/6th on infinity, something doesnt add up. They so obsessed with not charging extra for burst speed that they seem to willingly be losing money over it, of course payments from BT retail to wholesale is not real cash hence the problem.
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 03-Sep-11 21:54:18
Print Post

HERE HERE!

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 03-Sep-11 22:47:23
Print Post

What?

Sounds like competition working a treat. If the other ISPs can't compete with it that's their issue.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to