General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Sep-11 12:18:41
Print Post

Re: How do my stats look?

[re: NuttyMucker] [link to this post]

asbokid has been kind enough to create this blog all about unlocking the modem - http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/about/

There's a pdf guide with detailed instructions which can be found in the "unlocked firmware" section on the right hand side of his site.

Take any warnings and precautions seriously though.

Edited by griff_90 (Fri 09-Sep-11 12:18:56)

Standard User NuttyMucker
(member) Fri 09-Sep-11 12:36:41
Print Post

[re: griff_90] [link to this post]

Thankyou, I will give this a shot later today and post any stats that I recover.

I didnt see that pdf before which simplifies everything smile

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Sep-11 12:44:20
Print Post

Make sure you check if you have an SP06 or SP10 modem too as there are 2 different types. The number on the back/bottom of the modem will tell you...the last 4 characters.

Then you just follow the PDF and install the unlocked firmware. It's a fairly easy set up. I found after installing the new firmware nothing popped up on the screen to tell me so it was a bit of a guess to make sure it had finished correctly. Just wait a few minutes and it should be fine.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Fri 09-Sep-11 13:05:00
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

Thanks Orly. I hope I dont fry the modem smile

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Sep-11 13:54:46
Print Post

Pretty sure if you call up BT and say it's not working they'd replace it wink

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Fri 09-Sep-11 15:28:39
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

I've been meaning to get around to playing with this... and SWMBO is away at the weekend, so I might get a chance!

Are the plotting scripts available anywhere? If so, I'll try doing my own plotting.

In the meantime, I wanted to point this out...

In reply to a post by mr_bean:
asbokid has graphed whatever it was I sent him and produced this:

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/3836/statsop.jpg

Now i'm not sure what I'm looking at but does it appear a bit strange to anyone else? Seems the first image roughly correlates in shape to the 2nd one, except for the big "gash" in it.
I'm just trying to get my head around it.

BT are using VDSL profile 8c, annex B and according to this document band plan 997 truncated at 7.05MHz.

3) Line noise. In the higher tones this nicely mirrors the SNR as you'd expect. In the lower tone it doesn't - I suspect this is due to spectral power management.

I noticed the difference between the 2 graphs as being the location of the "gash" (although I'm not sure everyone has the same idea of which bit is being called the gash!): Orly's gash (or dip) appears to end around tone 250, in the SNR graph (ie top graph), while griff_90's gash appears to finish around tone 500 in the same graph (but second down in their image).

I suspect this is indeed caused by the spectral power mask applied at the cabinet - and that the 2 cabinets have different masks.

The document linked above: BT's VDSL Primer from 2009, shows the masks BT intended using at the time. See pages 31 and 32 (of 66).

The masks may put the top of the gash at 600kHz (for cabinets far from the exchange), up to around 2MHz for those closest the exchange.

So... I bet that Orly's cabinet is further from the exchange than griff_90's.

However... I'm not convinced that this document represents the actual deployment at Openreach today. Some of the screen-grabs here show that BT are using US0 (25kHz - 138kHz) which isn't shown in the band-plan 997 in that document, and the spectral mask makes no allowance for it either. I suspect there are some differences in reality...

On a separate note: this mask is a way in which the E-side distance can still affect the bandwidth you see as a customer; the overall behaviour of VDSL2 isn't *just* dependent on the D-side distance.
(member) Fri 09-Sep-11 15:58:45
Print Post

Hi Orly,
I have a SP10 modem and failed to connect using 192.168.1.100 after following all the steps.
When I reconnected the dsl light didnt come on and I thought the modem was fried frown
Eventually after rebooting the modem and my router all came back to life.
On BT speedtester my ip profile has increased by over 200Kb so all is not lostsmile

I have bottled it for the meantime as I have a long night on the xbox ahead of me and I dont want to be without my internet.

Thanks again, Nutty

Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Sep-11 16:02:57
Print Post

The modem IP is 192.168.1.1

The PDF guide tells you to set your NIC to 192.168.1.100
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Sep-11 16:35:31
Print Post

On Windows 7 which I'm using you go to Network and Sharing Center > click Local Area Connection on the right > Properties > Internet Protocol V4 > Properties > Click "Use the following IP Address"

Make sure your network card is set to 192.168.1.100, subnet mask is the default 255.255.255.0 and the gateway is 192.168.1.1

Make sure the computer you're using is connected into LAN2

In your browser you'll want to go to http://192.168.1.1 (user: admin, pass: admin)

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up

Edited by orly (Fri 09-Sep-11 16:36:19)

(member) Fri 09-Sep-11 16:52:00
Print Post

Aha, I never set the gateway which would have been helpful
Thanks for the post.
I wil do it tomorrow as stated long night on the xbox with a friend called smirnoff to keep me company smile
I will post my stats up tomorrow.
Thanks again

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to