General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Sep-11 17:51:27
Print Post

Re: How do my stats look?

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

Are you definitely flashing it with the unlocked firmware? It can be easy to download the original firmware by mistake and flash it with that.
Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Sep-11 17:54:10
Print Post

[re: NuttyMucker] [link to this post]

Tried flashing it again?
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Sep-11 17:56:10
Print Post

I changed some settings which did that to me. Can't remember but buried in one of the pages there is one setting for internet bridging or the like. It's set to LAN1 but I set it to LAN2 and it all went pear shared. The page seemed to load but it was just empty boxes all over. If I clicked, stuff would time out and error messages from the browser would appear.

Had to reset the modem to get back in.

I think if you can get far enough to turn the firewall off, things seem to run nicer while you're on the settings. Just have to turn it back on again to standard before logging out just to be safe

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mr_bean
(member) Sat 10-Sep-11 18:33:29
Print Post

Does it still work as a modem - i.e does it sync, connect to t' internet and so-on

If so you obviously haven't bricked it.

I wonder... asbokid, would it remember the "BT" firewall setting across a reflash?
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Sat 10-Sep-11 18:33:54
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

I have just put the original SP06 software back on again as getting nowhere. I think it may be down to some setting in windows vista but getting pressure from SWMBO to let her back on the PC!!

Standard User NuttyMucker
(member) Sat 10-Sep-11 18:37:22
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

Hi, No I am able to reconfigure it all back up and change my NIC settings so back online. I am just reluctant of overdoing it and my ip profile starts to drop because of all the disconnections.

On top of that my car has started misfiring and think its the HT leads so have to start messing with that before I do anything else.

Standard User asbokid
(learned) Sat 10-Sep-11 21:05:06
Print Post

[re: griff_90] [link to this post]

Hi.

The SP06 firmware for the HG612 does seem a bit quirky.

You can give it a helping hand with a 'Long Reset'.

This works on both the SP06 and the SP10 firmware versions for the Huawei HG612:

• Flash in the unlocked firmware, as per the instructions.
  • Give the modem time to reboot.
  • Check with your PC that the xDSL line has synced, and that you have internet connectivity
  • Hold in the Reset Button on the front of the HG612 for 10+ seconds, and then release it.
  • This causes a 'Long Reset'.
  • The modem will replace the old Default Configuration file with the new (unlocked) version.
  • Give the modem time to reboot again after the 'Long Reset'
  • Visit http://192.168.1.1 (the address of Huawei's web interface).
  • You can now access all the configuration options for the modem.

Edited by asbokid (Sun 11-Sep-11 00:46:12)

Standard User asbokid
(learned) Sat 10-Sep-11 21:22:08
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lockyatlrg:
Can anyone give me an idea of my attenuation? is there a formula of working it out from both paths?

That's a good question, lockyatlrg! But maybe there isn't any one correct answer..

There are a few candidate formulas, some better than others..

A simple average could be calculated. It would be based on the sum of the attenuation calculations for the utilised frequency bands, and calculated separately for each direction. It wouldn't be very meaningful combining the attenuation figures for upstream and the downstream bands.

Alternatively, the attenuation could be apportioned according to the number of carriers in a given band and the bit loading for each carrier in that band. This metric would capture the impact of the attenuation on the quality of the connection.

The fact that the HG612 modem doesn't present an attenuation figure in its web interface could mean that Huawei hasn't got the answer either!

Text
VDSL Band Status          U0   U1  U2  U3  D1   D2  D3
------------------------------------------------------Line Attenuation(dB):    3.4 13.4 N/A N/A 7.8 16.6 N/A
Signal Attenuation(dB):  0.0 13.5 N/A N/A 7.8 16.6 N/A

EDIT: So we could combine the (downstream) Signal Attenuation (S/A) figures of D1 and D2, and divide the sum by 2.. And that gives us a single figure for Downstream S/A of 12.2dB

But if we sum the count of subcarriers per band, and using that count in the apportionment of the attenuation, we will obtain a different figure..

Text
(Final) Band Plan
-------------------------      U0         U1
US: (0,95)   (696,1183)      D1         D2
DS: (32,687) (1192,1627)

We see that frequency band D1 utilises 655 tones (or subcarriers) while 435 tones are utilised in band D2.

So the total count of subcarriers is 1090. And of those carriers some 60% are attenuated by 7.8dB (on average), while 40% of the subcarriers, those in the higher frequency band D2, are attenuated by 16.6dB.

Some very crude arithmetic gives us an average Signal Attenuation across both Downstream bands (D1 and D2) of (0.6*7.8) + (0.4*16.6) = 11.32dB

Not that different to the first calculation. Anyone still awake?

To make it more accurate, the bit depth for each carrier (the number of bits encoded in the subcarrier's QAM constellation) could be incorporated into the attenuation figure..

I won't try and work that out..

cheers

Edited by asbokid (Sat 10-Sep-11 21:45:05)

Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Sep-11 21:25:18
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

By the way disabling the QOS on the BT modem has got me another 1mbs throughput on speed tests.

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
Sync 40000D 10000U
Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Sep-11 22:41:03
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

Good tip. I'd probably disable that if I had FTTC too since I have a custom router designed to do things like QoS, might as well free up the CPU power on the modem.

Jump to