General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | [22] | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Fri 23-Sep-11 19:41:44
Print Post

Re: Success! Telnet log..

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

@asbokid,

Perhaps, between the three of us, we could host both variants of the script at a suitable location such that anyone can just download a copy?

Would you be able to do so from your HG612 Google docs location? smile

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User Croftie
(regular) Fri 23-Sep-11 20:51:08
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Could someone have a quick look at my stats for any problems? I'm hopeing they can answer why I've had a 5 Mbps downstream drop overnight following 8 months of solid full line speed.

On install the attainable rate was 46/15 on the JDSU and looking at the stats on the modem now that's dropped to 40/15. Also the line rate is 5 Mbps below attainable is that normal?

http://i53.tinypic.com/21m9fu8.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/91a2wp.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/2ryt5xl.jpg

Little_bird, I probably can't help with converting the script but if your stuck I could try.
Standard User asbokid
(regular) Fri 23-Sep-11 21:12:46
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Hi, burakkucat,

Will do...

The latest gnuplot scripts are available here...

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6wW18mYskvBODZjMTk... (Huawei HG612 graphing scripts)

If anyone else wants to improve the scripts or contribute new ones, please contact and the contents of the Google Docs 'folder' can be made editable for you.

Cheers, a

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mr_bean
(member) Fri 23-Sep-11 21:20:21
Print Post

Re: More FTTC line stats

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I think part of the problem is that a drop of, say, 3dB in SNR is a lot of bps on a VDSL line because of the higher number of bins in use.

It's been complicated by the fact that my modem died 2 weeks ago and I'm slightly suspicious as it changed pretty much overnight but I've gone from 39999 to 34980Kbps - this has been accompanied by a 3dB increase in Quiet Line Noise across the whole frequency spectrum - crosstalk has to be high on the list of suspects for this change.

To be fair 35Mpbs is still more than the original DSL checker estimate of 26Mbps but I'm still gutted to see 12.5% of my sync speed disappear overnight.

As for 17a - it will be interesting to see how BT implement that given their use of band plan 997 truncated down to 7Mhz - it might be that all lines on a given cabinet have to be the same profile - either 8c or 17a
Standard User mr_bean
(member) Fri 23-Sep-11 21:30:32
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

Could someone have a quick look at my stats for any problems? I'm hopeing they can answer why I've had a 5 Mbps downstream drop overnight following 8 months of solid full line speed.
It's probably not possible to say why the drop in speed just looking at a single set of line stats - ideally you'd have some available from when you were syncing at 40.

I deeply sympathise because that's exactly what's just happened to me - luckily I do have old stats to compare and it's obvious from these that I've just "gained" about 3dB of noise across the whole VDSl spectrum. While it's not certain the suspicion has to be that it's due to increased crosstalk and probably is in your case also.

As to "attainable" being higher than the actual sync that's normal. The attainable rate is what you'd get at 0dB SNRM, so it's always going to be higher than the sync rate (unless noise has increased by more than the target SNRM, usually 6dB, since sync took place).
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 23-Sep-11 21:46:34
Print Post

Re: More FTTC line stats

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

my attainable rate his declined sharply, it's down to crosstalk IMO, I get 0 errors.

The reason I 'm still seeing well over 40mb attainable rate is due to being close to the cab and my line can take a hit like that from crosstalk.

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
Sync 40000D 10000U
Standard User Little_bird
(newbie) Sat 24-Sep-11 06:40:34
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by asbokid:
Hi, burakkucat,

Will do...

The latest gnuplot scripts are available here...

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6wW18mYskvBODZjMTk... (Huawei HG612 graphing scripts)

If anyone else wants to improve the scripts or contribute new ones, please contact and the contents of the Google Docs 'folder' can be made editable for you.

Cheers, a

Thanks for that asbokid.

Windows users can use this Linux script if you install Cygwin (possibly also other alternatives) to provide a Linux shell without having to install a full Linux operating system.

I am trying to create a Windows batch file that does the same thing without the need to install Cygwin (mainly for automatically editing & splitting the terminal log file for each graph), but am struggling to get arrays to work within the batch file.
It CAN be done, but I haven't sussed it yet.

When/if I do manage to sort it, I will add it to asbo's script page.

If anyone who actually knows what they are doing (unlike me) fancies converting the Linux script to a Windows/DOS batch file, please let us know.

As Linux text files don't display correctly in Windows Notepad text editor (LF/CR issues), a free version of TextPad can be downloaded that does work, & can be set to show line numbers (useful for debugging), or use a Unix to DOS text file converter such as Tofrodos.

Pauline.
Standard User bhawkes
(newbie) Sat 24-Sep-11 10:15:18
Print Post

[re: Little_bird] [link to this post]

Thanks for graph data.

My graphs:-

[img]http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/44_bh/line_...[/img]
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 24-Sep-11 18:58:09
Print Post

[re: bhawkes] [link to this post]

I know of someone who complained to BT regarding not getting fttc due to the checker - he stated his line length was the same as someone who has fttc - the reply back was the checker takes into consideration cable fill and that early adopters would see a decline in speeds once more people in the bunch asked for fibre hence was at distance x he could get 15meg today but 6months down the line wouldnt.
Half BS - as we now see people being put up to infinity when the bt has said option 3 with fibre only - but the cable fill / added cross talk may well just be due to more subscribers and hence not an issue you would ever get bt to accept without going sub 15meg.
Standard User Icaras
(learned) Sat 24-Sep-11 19:34:01
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Sorry guys but I can't see instructions on how to actually do the flashing. Can someone post a link please.
Pages in this thread: << 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | [22] | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to