General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | [23] | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Sat 24-Sep-11 19:55:42
Print Post

Re: Success! Telnet log..

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Icaras:
Sorry guys but I can't see instructions on how to actually do the flashing. Can someone post a link please.
You should find the instructions as a PDF format file with the actual firmware, when you download the relevant package.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User Al1264
(newbie) Sat 24-Sep-11 20:09:45
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

I found the instructions OK (as advised, in the download zipfile), my question is about versions of the BT Fibre Modem; is the 'Version' the large print in a square on the top right of the large central label on the rear of the unit? If that mine (just installed earlier this week) is marked '3B', is there any risk in the procedure on a new updated version?
It does appear to be labelled with the same (SP10) firmware so I assume it's safe, any thoughts? Anyone else seen this version or, more importantly, flashed it?

Thanks, Al.
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Sat 24-Sep-11 20:30:08
Print Post

[re: Al1264] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Al1264:
my question is about versions of the BT Fibre Modem; is the 'Version' the large print in a square on the top right of the large central label on the rear of the unit? If that mine (just installed earlier this week) is marked '3B', is there any risk in the procedure on a new updated version?
It does appear to be labelled with the same (SP10) firmware so I assume it's safe, any thoughts? Anyone else seen this version or, more importantly, flashed it?
To be on the safe side, would you be able to take a suitable quality photograph of the label on the underside of the HG612 and make it accessible for viewing?

Also, do you still have the box that it came in? (There are relevant identifying numbers on the labels at each end of the box. Photographs of them both would be useful.)

Asbokid will be the best person to comment, as he is compiling a table of hardware and firmware versions.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Edited by burakkucat (Sat 24-Sep-11 20:46:24)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bhawkes
(newbie) Sun 25-Sep-11 17:22:25
Print Post

[re: Little_bird] [link to this post]

Little_bird,

I can successfully produce graphs from 'graph.sh' and my 'putty.log' using Ubuntu on my second PC (see post below) but am now trying to do the same using Cygwin under Win7 on my main PC.

I have installed gnuplot within Cygwin and have graph.sh and putty.log in the home directory but I get the following:-

$ ./graph.sh putty.log
Invalid parameter - bits.jpg
Invalid parameter - snr.jpg
Invalid parameter - qln.jpg
Invalid parameter hlog.jpg
#

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Standard User asbokid
(regular) Sun 25-Sep-11 17:53:13
Print Post

[re: Al1264] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Al1264:
I found the instructions OK (as advised, in the download zipfile), my question is about versions of the BT Fibre Modem; is the 'Version' the large print in a square on the top right of the large central label on the rear of the unit? If that mine (just installed earlier this week) is marked '3B', is there any risk in the procedure on a new updated version?

Hi Al,

It sounds like you have a hitherto unseen Revision "3B" of the Huawei HG612.

New territory.. I have no idea whether unlocking will work with Revision "3B".

If you want to be on the 'safe' side, before trying to re-flash, you could backup the flash contents. That involves opening the modem, soldering in some header pins and extracting the flash contents via UART or JTAG. If you're not willing to do that, it's a case of suck-it-and-see, I'm afraid.

We now have four hardware revisions to the HG612..

Revision 1 (unlabelled as such)
Revision "2V"
Revision "2B"
Revision "3B"

The label on the bottom of the modem holds a surprising amount of information. As burakkucat has recommended, it would be good to photograph the label and email or upload it. If you have concerns over privacy, you could 'smudge' the last few digits of the MAC address and the last two or three digits of the Serial Number.

Sorry I have no answers. frown

Cheers, A
Standard User Little_bird
(newbie) Sun 25-Sep-11 18:27:47
Print Post

[re: bhawkes] [link to this post]

Hi bhawkes,

How are your starting Cygwin?

If it is from an icon on your desktop, that is probably the folder you will be in when you start it (not where the relevant files are stored.

I am guessing you are not in the same folder as the Jpegs when graph.sh tries to create a montage of them.

I have added C:\cygwin\bin & C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.7.2-Q16; ;C:\Program Files\gnuplot\binary to my PATH in Windows 7 so it doesn't matter which folder I am in, I always have access to them.

I access Cygwin by typing Cygwin from the Command Prompt.
The problem is that if you start a command prompt from Start, Run, Cmd, you end up in your own user folder.

I have created a simple batch file that just contains cmd on the first line.
I have named it DosWindowThisFolder.BAT, but it could be named anything you want.

In Windows, I go to the folder where everyting is stored, double click the DosWindowThisFolder.BAT icon & I end up in Cygwin in the folder where everything is stored.

In Cygwin you could check what files are available in whatever folder you are in by typing "ls" (without the quote marks).

There may be a better way to do things, but the above way works for me.

HTH,

Pauline.

P.S. I have been playing about with a Windows batch file again to try to replicate what graph.sh does without having to install Cygwin/Ubuntu etc.

I gave to use gawk & other programs (from elsewhere) instead of awk & tr as used in graph.sh to get it to work at all when just using Windows, & I'm not happy with it yet.
Standard User bhawkes
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-11 20:50:39
Print Post

I was not aware that I needed ImageMagick as well as GnuPlot.

I have now added that to the GnuPlot previously installed (both within the Cygwin installation not Win7) and now have successfully produced the graphs. The versions of GnuPlot and ImageMagick included within the Cygwin instal are both earlier versions than the current but they work. Cygwin opens in my home directory where I put the graph.sh and putty.log files and where the .jpg files are produced. With GnuPlot and ImageMagick being installed under the Cugwin umbrella there is no need to modify the PATH parameter.
Standard User Croftie
(regular) Tue 27-Sep-11 00:01:26
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mr_bean:
It's probably not possible to say why the drop in speed just looking at a single set of line stats

I was hopeing for a better insight into a possible cause because in my case it coincided with downtime...
In reply to a post by Croftie:
full sync and profile for 8 months untill one night we had downtime due to network upgrades in the area. After this work we had download throughput 5Mbps lower and increased latency.

asbokid seemes to interpret the graphs here which is why I ask.

I agree a before and after would be ideal, unfortunatly there wasn't a way to access the modem before the loss.

In reply to a post by mr_bean:
As to "attainable" being higher than the actual sync that's normal. The attainable rate is what you'd get at 0dB SNRM, so it's always going to be higher than the sync rate (unless noise has increased by more than the target SNRM, usually 6dB, since sync took place).

I know it's normal for attainable to be higher than sync, I asked if it was normal for the gap to be so large. As of this morning though the gap has narrowed.

The last few days I've been getting a lot of errors, mostly crc.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2qu3yaa.jpg

Then this morning I login to check the stats, the hub and modem uptime hasn't changed but the dsl uptime has. The attainable rate has dropped a bit and line rate has gone up by 4 Mbps. Taking the gap to just a few hundered Kb instead of several Mb.

http://i56.tinypic.com/302yrcz.jpg

IP Profile is still 33827 but I have an extra 0.5 Mbps downstream throughput and latency has been reduced by 8 ms.

Here are stats graphs from before and after the change.
http://i51.tinypic.com/2ryt5xl.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/125kryh.jpg

Last time I had this performance 30 days later the IP Profile changed to 37616 which, after 10 days dropped to 33730 along with increased latency.

It's probaly hard to follow my back story because it's spread accross two threads but there is a pattern here and thanks to asbokid I can now log it in more detail. It will be interesting now to see if the IP Profile gets raised again and if it will stay there or whether this up/down cycle triggered by network downtime in june will continue.

Thanks.
croftie
Standard User Croftie
(regular) Tue 27-Sep-11 00:09:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by Little_bird:
As Linux text files don't display correctly in Windows Notepad text editor (LF/CR issues), a free version of TextPad can be downloaded that does work, & can be set to show line numbers (useful for debugging), or use a Unix to DOS text file converter such as Tofrodos.

It is shocking how bad windows default text editor still is. FWIW, I've been using notepad2 for years which is in another legue despite a small footprint. It can display linux text files properly and convert line ending too.
Standard User Little_bird
(newbie) Tue 27-Sep-11 06:26:30
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

I had "reasonable" 30+Mb download speeds at first, but following a number of faults on my line I am now stuck at around 20-22Mb actual download speeds.

here

I couldn't access the stats when my speeds were better, but 2 quite recent graphs can be seen at :-

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7Kcea04kkOEYWJmNDU...

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7Kcea04kkOENWU5NGE...

It seems like I am doing O.K. at ADSL2+ frequencies, but hardly getting anything at all from the VDSL2 frequencies when compared against others with high speeds.

My attenuation seems quite high in band D1 & really high in band D2

Pauline

Edited by Little_bird (Tue 27-Sep-11 06:35:46)

Pages in this thread: << 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | [23] | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to