General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | [24] | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Al1264
(newbie) Tue 27-Sep-11 09:14:46
Print Post

Re: Success! Telnet log..

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

Good news all, version 3B can be flashed and unlocked just like the others. I'll sort out a photo of the underside shortly for info.

Due to my excess curiosity I have now discovered a method to lock out the modem completely (D'ough!) which does not seem to be cured by re-flashing or resetting - any suggestions welcome:
As I can no longer access the interface I'm not 100% sure of the wording on the screen but on the LAN settings page there are two tick boxes for LAN1 & LAN2, if you select the 'Internet' connection in the drop-down box then tick both LAN1 and LAN2 the modem will work just fine, you can use either LAN port to connect your router BUT you cannot then access the router in any way as far as I can determine - don't do it! This appears to set both LAN ports as 'pure bridge' to the WAN (DSL) port - apart from locking out access to the router I cannot think of any possible use for this 'function'.

- Al

[Edit] P.S. many thanks to all those contributing their valuable time and effort to this 'project'.

Edited by Al1264 (Tue 27-Sep-11 09:46:28)

Standard User mr_bean
(member) Tue 27-Sep-11 09:55:43
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

I was hopeing for a better insight into a possible cause because in my case it coincided with downtime...
Sorry.

Attenuation looks OK, lower than mine which is about 38dB for D2 - I'd guess about a 400m loop length.

What's killing you compared to me is high noise. You have fairly high broad-spectrum noise, about 8-10dB higher under about bin 500 which is probably ADSL2+ crosstalk and then falls off to about -120dBm/Hz across the board. I don't know for sure but this is probably mainly VDSL crosstalk. I don't think any band predominates apart from the ADSL2+ frequencies so it's probably not an external source of interference.

Your current SNRM is 6.3dB so your target SNRM is likely to be 6dB. Therefore you're not paying any "DLM penalty" for previous instability.

How you map that to exactly why your sync has gone down I don't know. If your attenuation had gone up perhaps one would look to disturbed joints but it looks quite good at the moment. As the main problem is noise which looks fairly broad-spectrum it could be the issue is increased cross-talk.

I know it's normal for attainable to be higher than sync, I asked if it was normal for the gap to be so large. As of this morning though the gap has narrowed.
It bounces around a bit. The higher the SNRM the wider the gap between current and attainable but squishing figures from over 1600 bins into a single SNRM makes the relationship difficult to follow.

Originally my "attainable" was 41-42Mbps for a sync of 39999Kbps. Then my modem died and in doing so convinced the DLM to set a 9dB SNRM target. At that point the attainable was about 40.2, sync around 35Mbps and SNRM around 9dB. Then the modem was changed and briefly sync went to 37 with a 6dB margin and, again an attainable of 40.2-40.7Mbps.

Then something odd happened overnight and the DLM went to a 12dB margin, sync crashed to 20's - I was so peeved at that I didn't really look at the attainable!

Following a DLM reset it went to attainable 40Mpbs, sync 35Mbps, SNRM 6dB, then slipped to attainable 38Mbps sync 33 (grrr!) last weekend still at a SNRM of 6dB. Currently sitting at attainable 37 (lowest it's been) but sync just over 36 (go figure) SNRM still 6.

So for a SNRM of 6dB (or thereabouts) I've had a gap between attainable of anything from 1-5Mbps. I suspect if I had all the graphs from all the points in the tale I'd be able to figure it out but lacking that it just looks a bit random. In the figures you gave it was about 6Mbps at 6.3dB SNRM which is similar to how mine was at one point.

Unfortunately I suspect we're both suffering from increased FTTC take-up. I'd be really interested to know how many people now have FTTC on my cab and on the link to whichever DP I'm on. ADSL speeds here were rubbish previously owing to long (~5Km) lines so I had expected a healthy uptake. Sadly I doubt there's any way of finding out.
Standard User asbokid
(regular) Tue 27-Sep-11 17:33:15
Print Post

[re: Al1264] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Al1264:
Good news all, version 3B can be flashed and unlocked just like the others. I'll sort out a photo of the underside shortly for info.

Due to my excess curiosity I have now discovered a method to lock out the modem completely (D'ough!) which does not seem to be cured by re-flashing or resetting - any suggestions welcome:

Good news that the 3B can be re-flashed. It is always possible to restore from a 'point-of-no-return' by doing a long reset.

You can restore the Default Configuration with a 'Long Reset'.

This works on both the SP06 and the SP10 firmware versions for the Huawei HG612:

• Give the modem time to reboot.
  • Check with your PC that the xDSL line has synced, and that you have internet connectivity
  • Hold in the Reset Button on the front of the HG612 for 10+ seconds, and then release it.
  • This causes a 'Long Reset'.
  • The modem will replace the current Configuration settings with the Default Configuration.
  • Give the modem time to reboot again after the 'Long Reset'
  • Visit http://192.168.1.1 (the address of Huawei's web interface).
  • You can now access all the configuration options for the modem.

I wonder what was selected. Perhaps you changed the IP address / subnet of the modem?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nelix01
(committed) Tue 27-Sep-11 20:13:39
Print Post

Re: How do my stats look?

[re: Little_bird] [link to this post]

Does anyone remember how to find out what profile is applied to their line from all the new information available?

Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Sep-11 13:32:07
Print Post

Re: My new stats..

[re: griff_90] [link to this post]

To cut a long story short I've had a series of OR engineers visit over the last week and today they found a fault in the line running to the cabinet. This has been swapped over and tested with an EXFO which reported no errors on this line.

As a result these are my new stats -

OLD (as per post above this one) - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/griff_90/1de0...

New - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/griff_90/097e...
Standard User undecidedadrian
(regular) Wed 28-Sep-11 14:49:00
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

could something be added to the firmware to make it report the VDSL profile as here are my stats from a Vigor 2750n and it clearly states 8c.

I was the first person on my cab 2 weeks ago and just this week looks like cross talk has just started with a small drop in the noise ratios and max attainables.

Also I have no idea iwhat the rest of the numbers mean so can anybody comment?

VDSL
Link Status Showtime
Firmware Version 1411f0
VDSL2 Profile 8c
Basic Status Upstream Downstream Unit
Actual Data Rate 9994 39985 Kb/s
SNR 188 150 0.1dB
Advance Status Upstream Downstream Unit
Actual delay 0 0 ms
Actual INP 0 0 0.1 symbols
15M CV 0 2 counter
1Day CV 25 361 counter
15M FEC 0 22 counter
1Day FEC 39 127163 counter
Total FEC 4450 2044199 counter
Previous Data Rate 9994 39985 Kbps
Attainable Rate 16174 50677 Kbps
Electrical Length 66 66 0.1 dB
SNR Margin 188 N/A (US0,--) 0.1 dB
SNR Margin 188 150 (US1,DS1) 0.1 dB
SNR Margin N/A 149 (US2,DS2) 0.1 dB
SNR Margin N/A N/A (US3,DS3) 0.1 dB
SNR Margin N/A N/A (US4,DS4) 0.1 dB
15M Elapsed time 811 811 secs
15M FECS 0 3 counter
15M ES 0 2 counter
15M SES 0 0 counter
15M LOSS 0 0 counter
15M UAS 0 0 counter
1Day Elapsed time 82711 82711 secs
1Day FECS 27 441 counter
1Day ES 23 279 counter
1Day SES 0 0 counter
1Day LOSS 0 0 counter
1Day UAS 0 0 counter
Total FECS 327 6409 counter
Total ES 265 3280 counter
Total SES 0 32 counter
Total LOSS 0 4 counter
Total UAS 238296 100 counter
Standard User Little_bird
(newbie) Wed 28-Sep-11 16:38:52
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

Hi undecidedadrian,

If you are meaning via the HG612, amongst other details, you can obtain the VDSL2 profile already:-

# xdslcmd info --show

xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 2
Max: Upstream rate = 5881 Kbps, Downstream rate = 23340 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 1997 Kbps, Downstream rate = 20621 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 8c
TPS-TC: PTM Mode
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 5.7 13.8
Attn(dB): 0.0 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 9.6 1.3

Pauline

Edited by Little_bird (Wed 28-Sep-11 16:40:57)

Standard User Croftie
(regular) Thu 29-Sep-11 00:45:03
Print Post

[re: Little_bird] [link to this post]

Was the profile reset when the faults were fixed? Might get you some performance back now that yout line is fault free.

I don't really understand how to interperet the graphs at all, what represents attenuation?
Standard User Croftie
(regular) Thu 29-Sep-11 01:06:08
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

Thanks mr_bean, it seems there is nothing to indicate a fault or anything out of the ordinary. I suppose I just have to chalk it up to crosstalk.

I think it will always bug me that the drop coincided with network maintenance downtime though, I wonder if it's possible that there was a glitch in the dlm that meant it wasn't changeing and the downtime somehow cleared it out.

Your best bet for finding out the fttc uptake on your cab is probably to intercept an OR engineer in your area. I don't think they are too shy about discussing uptake, the chap I spoke to wasn't anyway.
Standard User mr_bean
(member) Thu 29-Sep-11 09:18:50
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

I think it will always bug me that the drop coincided with network maintenance downtime though, I wonder if it's possible that there was a glitch in the dlm that meant it wasn't changeing and the downtime somehow cleared it out.
If it's any consolation the exact same thing has happened to me - rock solid at 39995Kbps until the modem threw a wobbly and needed replacing and I know exactly how you feel about the "coincidence" :-/
Pages in this thread: << 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | [24] | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to