General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | [25] | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mr_bean
(member) Thu 29-Sep-11 09:21:39
Print Post

Re: Success! Telnet log..

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

I don't really understand how to interperet the graphs at all, what represents attenuation?
The Hlog graph, although it's an amalgamation of several performance characteristics, not purely attenuation
Standard User Al1264
(newbie) Thu 29-Sep-11 10:02:49
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by asbokid:
You can restore the Default Configuration with a 'Long Reset'...
...I wonder what was selected. Perhaps you changed the IP address / subnet of the modem?

@asbokid; I am forever in your debt.
I had tried what I thought was a long reset but possibly hadn't waited for the connection to be established fully first and, yes, I had changed the IP address into a range to suit my setup but I could not seem to get back into the interface with either the old or new address.
All fixed now, thanks a million, Al.
Standard User Al1264
(newbie) Thu 29-Sep-11 10:18:12
Print Post

[re: Al1264] [link to this post]

Just out of interest, has anyone tried using 'Routerstats' to track SNRM and attainable rate on an unlocked HG612?

Sorry if this has been done and previously mentioned, I've scanned most of the posts in this thread but it's getting very long now.

I'll have a go myself just as soon as I can find another ethernet cable.

- Al.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Little_bird
(newbie) Thu 29-Sep-11 11:03:44
Print Post

[re: Little_bird] [link to this post]

More problems:-

Downloads currently around 13Mb!!!!!!!!!!!

Today's graphs:-

graphs from 29-09-2011

Pauline.
Standard User asbokid
(regular) Thu 29-Sep-11 22:06:44
Print Post

[re: Al1264] [link to this post]

Glad it worked for you, and your new 3B Huawei, Al!

Some newer docs for unlocking the Huawei have been put together.. There's a bit more explanation about the use of a 'long reset' to restore default configuration.[1]

Maybe it's worth asking John Owen, the author of Router Stats, what his plans are for his utility, and whether he intends to get it working with the Broadcom 6368 VDSL2 chipset. I would have patched the tool myself, but the code for RouterStats is closed source and John won't budge on that.

However, I'm some way through patching another tool, DMT, [2] to work with VDSL2..

It's a case of solving a few memory allocation problems, and trying to find enough real estate on the screen for all the extra data for VDSL2.

DMT was originally written for ADSL, but it has been modified for ADSL2 and ADSL2+. The latter only has 512 sub-carriers. So the Tone Maps are modest in size, and the graph functions of DMT are hard-coded with that tone limit in mind.

Whereas for VDSL2, there can be 4096 tones, potentially. In fact, the Huawei allocates memory for that number by default, even though VDSL2 Profile 8c, as used by Blighty Telecom, uses less than half that tone count. I've scoured the DMT code for obvious hard coded limitations in array declarations.. but there are more subtle issues..

May I ask: do you (and others) have a favourite tool for displaying/graphing/logging subscriber line stats? And if you do have a fave, what makes the tool special?

Cheers,a

[1] https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6wW18mYskvBODZjMTk...
[2] http://dmt.mhilfe.de/

Edited by asbokid (Thu 29-Sep-11 22:12:37)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Sep-11 22:08:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by asbokid:
May I ask: do you (and others) have a favourite tool for displaying/graphing/logging subscriber line stats? And if you do have a fave, what makes the tool special?

RouterStats - because the developer (john) is on these forums, and I think his handle is John_ON:
http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

It might be worth PMing him?

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User Little_bird
(newbie) Thu 29-Sep-11 22:48:51
Print Post

Hi asbokid,

Just a thought regarding the unlocking instructions:-

You may wish to include a very small section that describes how you can have the usual router's ethernet connection plugged into LAN1 & another cable from a spare router port plugged into LAN2 so that internet browsing/emailing can continue at the same time as moving around in the modem's web pages.
That is how mine is set up.

BTW, I liked DMT when I had ADSL1 as it showed everything I wanted to see & also allowed easy access to tweaking SNR for eeking the extra few K from your connection.
That was the only way I managed to achieve reasonably stable 1.0Mb, yes, that was 1.0 Mb download speeds.
Prior to using DMT Tool I only achieved between 0.5Mb & 0.75(ish)Mb.

Pauline.
Standard User Croftie
(regular) Thu 29-Sep-11 23:41:08
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

Ok thanks.

The unlocked modem interface really showing it's worth tonight, without it I'd be no the wiser of any change at all..

DSL uptime reset at 6PM tonight, attainable, IP Profile, throughput and latency are the same. SNRM is now 7 and line rate has dropped a bit.

Stats and graphs from before and after:

http://i51.tinypic.com/4q2rl.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/243mh3r.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/125kryh.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/e8jpmh.jpg

I lot more FEC and HEC errors in the last 4 hours than the previous 3 days. No CRC's yet though.

If I have interpreted the graphs right, on the bit loading there is some loss which is mainly around the adsl frequencies. that's increaded crosstalk isn't it?
Standard User asbokid
(regular) Fri 30-Sep-11 00:12:41
Print Post

[re: Little_bird] [link to this post]

Hi Little_Bird.. You're right, the cable configuration does need explaining properly.. Don't suppose, erm, you would like to write it?!

As for DMT, it seems to be the most powerful open source tool that is available.. As with most parsing/scraping tools, it looks pretty ugly under the bonnet, and the slightest sneeze or hiccup during scraping causes a catastrophic collapse. But I do like the GUI of DMT. With all those levers and knobs, it feels like you're flying a 747! And structurally it's been built in a traditional Unix fashion with the front end isolated from the daemon, so you can leave it running and logging line stats on a headless system if required..

I'm really up for patching DMT for the Huawei and for the 6368 VDSL2 chipset in general. DMT is written in C and only needs libpng, librrd and libfreetype so if there are any hackers with idle hands, please shout, and also anyone who is willing to test what's been done so far. The back-end is basically complete, if a bit crude, but there's a lot of GUI work still to do, for those who like that sort of work.. It's rewarding but meticulous. Ideally, a (GTK+?) based GUI would be used so that it can be ported to Windows, and the Mac.

Cheers,a

Edited by asbokid (Fri 30-Sep-11 00:16:46)

Standard User bhawkes
(newbie) Fri 30-Sep-11 07:25:13
Print Post

happy to help in testing. looking forward to a successful end result. keep up the good work
Pages in this thread: << 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | [25] | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to